free hit
counters
brake pads wear really fast - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

brake pads wear really fast

hello, guys, I have done about 30 laps on Nordschleife with my exige 380 sport, and 20 laps on GP track small , 35 laps on the Hockenheimring, with some road driving the car has now just over 4000 km, but the front brake pads have 3-4 mm left, the rear pads are ok. I only use race mode on the Nordschleife, on other track I turn the dsc completely off. 

4000km of driving consume one set of pads are too fast, has anyone same problem? race mode will increase the pads wear on the front? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have Pagid RS14 and so far I did 80 laps at Monza, 60 at Hockenheim and 16 at the Ring. I have 8-9 mm front, 1mm rear. They are doing great, and I believe I can do another 3-4 track day easily.

However I am starting to look for alternatives: what about this PF08? Is it still street legal? And what about performances and durability compared to RS14?

On 07/06/2018 at 09:55, Hangar 111 said:

Standard pads?   With track useage like that, try a more race oriented pad - Pagid RS14 or if road use is not as important, Performance Friction.

Daniel at Komo-Tec will be able to sort you out with some.

Dave

yes, I was running on standard pads, I would try the pf08 first. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, BfranklynV6 said:

So on a squeal ‘o’ meter, would it be as follows: PFC08 > RS14s > OEM?

Roughly speaking, yes. But lots depends on installation, bedding in, temperatures etc. 

If your car is primarily a road car, I wouldn’t bother with the PFCs. Aside from the squealing, dedicated track/race pads often require quite high temps to get up to their operating range. This is often hard to achieve on chilly mornings (or can also be lost after extended motorway driving. The first time you might find out is when trying to decelerate on a slip road!) 

• 2 months later...

Do the Pagid RS14 work better than the originals, in particular do they work immediately or still need heating up like the DS2500's.

On my previous similar car I ran Carbon Lorraine CL5+ which were always amazing on the road and bit immediately no matter what the temps were, then I moved to CL6 which were even better on track but squealed and ruined alloys with the dust melting into the wheel paint.

Has anyone used Carbon Lorraines on an Exige V6 as they are sold by Elise shop.

I ran PF08 pads in my 360 cup, great brake pad with great stopping power, However one thing I found unbearable was the brake dust, Lots of it, very agresive if not cleaned of quickly and can set like granite is it gets wet, I ruined a set of wheels due to the brake dust.

I now run Pagid RS29 pads in the 3Eleven, they are not quite as good as the PF08 on ultimate stopping power, but the dust is much less and also much less aggressive, cant comment on if it gets wet. They work from cold but do make a few noises until nice and hot (not as loud as the PF08 pads in the exige!!!)

I avoid RS14 as it appears that the compound changed slightly at some point and I have had numerous comments about pad transfer vibration with them

18 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

I ran PF08 pads in my 360 cup, great brake pad with great stopping power, However one thing I found unbearable was the brake dust, Lots of it, very agresive if not cleaned of quickly and can set like granite is it gets wet, I ruined a set of wheels due to the brake dust.

I now run Pagid RS29 pads in the 3Eleven, they are not quite as good as the PF08 on ultimate stopping power, but the dust is much less and also much less aggressive, cant comment on if it gets wet. They work from cold but do make a few noises until nice and hot (not as loud as the PF08 pads in the exige!!!)

I avoid RS14 as it appears that the compound changed slightly at some point and I have had numerous comments about pad transfer vibration with them

Interesting, I had the same feeling: my Pagid RS14 at the beginning were very good - then at some point (say with 60-70% pad left) they started to provide less stopping power, and in some condition even uneven stopping power (car was going towards the right). Now I am at (40-50% pad left) and they got better again...

The good thing about the RS14 is that they last very very long! How the PF08 compare in term of durability? 

Thanks! 

10 hours ago, alias23 said:

My fronts last about a year if not longer... remember my car gets a lot of time on track. 

Looks good. I did around 2000km on track and I still have 40% of the pad. So if PF08 past similar I will be very happy!

Pagid RS14 works fine for me. Good bite etc.  A bit of noise gives the car a more serious attitude (instead of the noisy exhaust that I don't have). 

The great thing of the Nordschleife for me is that you don't need to brake that much. If you do Touristenfahrten you don't want to be on the limit and there is only about 5 times braking left.