free hit
counters
NA Esprit S3 choke operation - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
ekwan

NA Esprit S3 choke operation

Refurbishing a pair of Dellorto DHLA45E carburetors as part of restoration work on a 1984 Esprit S3 NA.

The choke cable was disconnected when I got the car. I found that both choke levers on the top of the carburetors would move through a small angle when moved by hand. This is similar for both carburetors.

Seeking opinions and advice if this is correct?  

TIA

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have a 1984 S3 Turbo with Dellorto 45's. My choke cable has always been disconnected, so have never used it.

My starting procedure is:

• Turn on ignition
  • Pump accelerator 4 times
  • Hold accelerator half way down
  • Turn key
  • Engine turns over 6/7 times
  • Hey presto! loud noise out of back of car
  • Neighbours complain about loud exhaust
  • SWMBO tells me to keep the noise down.
  • I drive off with great big smile on face.
  • Like 2

It will depend on what's going to happen in the first 1/4 mile of operation (UK spring/ Autumn temperatures, a bit more for UK winter, less for summer). If you're going to drive and are unlikely to stop at a junction  then need to pull away with certainty (but not lots of speed) , say a busy roundabout in a 30mph zone, then that may be awkward with the method that Kevin describes.  given the engine will likely have warmed up enough to not need choke, by 1/4 mile, then Kevin's method is quite normal. and one that many of us (me included for my S3) use. The only thing, is that first little bit of use, the engine will be a little lacking in low-rpm power.

A fully functioning fuel enrichment (technically not choke) system would be best, in the case of you needing reliable power at low-rpm from start-up. That a said, they often prove to be a PITA such as getting stuck in the "on" position, or partially "on" in which case people disconnect them and never regret it. So, if you want it to look  and be as-factory, then restore them with a new cable all nicely lubricated, if you're happy to warm it up for a minute or two of standing, or else warm it up on the road then leave them disconnected.

Quite true, Andy. I have a roundabout about 50 yards away to the left and you do need to be a little careful with the throttle to avoid stalling. However, if I turn right out of the driveway - it is about 8 miles of country road to the next junction, so much better!

Yep agreed, Gerald at GST told me never use the choke and I do exactly as Andy does, never failed although mine is still connected. 

You just need to heal and toe a bit until it warms up. I do always from cold sit there for 2 to 3 mins to let everything circulate whilst staring at the oil pressure gauge thinking “ please” 

Eric,

my SP also as described above, but as my carbs are currently on the workbench....

Free movement of the mechanism by hand is 90 degrees from stop to stop. Fairly sure far less than that is actuated by use of the lever though.

ATB

I'll be different - there's always one!

I have always used the choke to start from cold. 4-5 pumps on the throttle, starts first time. Choke goes off as the oil pressure comes up. Never drive along with the choke on. Light throttle (no turbo) until up to operating temperature - normally within 1 mile, then I can start giving it the beans.

Same procedure on my Excel (minus the turbo).

On 09/06/2018 at 00:35, DaveyT said:

Eric,

my SP also as described above, but as my carbs are currently on the workbench....

Free movement of the mechanism by hand is 90 degrees from stop to stop. Fairly sure far less than that is actuated by use of the lever though.

ATB

Found out my choke pistons were jammed solid.

Back to the OP. Correct. the levers should be linked by a wire rod as per attached photo.

41832514725_8c3ba4413c_c.jpgIMAG1526 by Peter Gentilli, on Flickr

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009