free hit
counters
Tyres for predominantly track car - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Tyres for predominantly track car

Hi All

I’ve looked back at old posts and can’t see anything particularly recent about tyre choices for the V6

I’m currently on ZZRs which are probably coming to the end of their life. 

For a car used 85% of the time are these still one of the tyres of choice or are people now switching across to the Cup2s?

not necessarily looking for ultimate best lap time but a good tyre 

I don’t have a spare set of wheels so good dry and wet compromise is also important particularly as do Spa a couple of times a year and we all know how unpredictable the weather can be there!

car has a Hoffman’s Geo and now running TVS1900

Thanks in advance

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would say stay well clear of trofeo’s. On them now and they “go off” quickly.

great road tyre, imho rubbish track tyre if you like driving at 8/10ths or above of the cars ability. 

havent used zzr but everyone I spoke to said they are the best and the lotus cup racing cars are all using them.

supposedly better than the michelins on the exige - always had Michelin’s on my performance cars but will be switching to zzr’s when i decide on the bc wheel design I want.

also had a good chat to Steve Glynn who was at goodwood teaching a guy in a gt3 rs. He was saying for Porsche the Michelin’s are the choice but also confirmed zzr’s for the exige; he also recommended a track geo at back on track. How did you find the exige after your geo set up?

i am no expert, rest assured, but those much more capable all seem to point in the same direction.

What a load of complete and utter bollocks - "Trofeo are a rubbish track tyre" - really nobody should believe what has been said above - Trofeo are a really excellent track tyre.

They go off? What after 10 laps? What pressures are you running them at?

• Like 1

I am not the only one to think this so wouldn’t say my opinion is “utter bollocks”, running them at 30psi when hot. maybe saying they are rubbish is a bit strong, but wouldn’t say they were excellent. Maybe v good is fair.

after 3/4 laps of goodwood they were starting to go, up until that point in fairness they were great but it did lead to a few whoa moments where you could feel the grip levels decrease a lot

maybe they work for you, in that case great. For me however with my driving style they don’t. 

given all the experts, by experts I mean pro drivers, seem to rate zzr so highly and say they last a lot longer when hot (which is my issue with trofeo) I was merely advising the OP to not go down the trofeo route.

If he wants to try them then that’s his choice. 

Maybe I am doing something tragically wrong, who knows, it wouldn’t be the first time......

I appreciate my use of rubbish after your recommendation could be seen as antagonistic but I can assure you it wasn’t meant that way and upon reflection was the wrong adjective. 

ZZRs delam and now have a ‘competition only’ stamp which could violate your road insurance.

Nankangs are a decent track tyre for the money but slower than Trofeo

Toyos don’t last long

I stick to Trofeo as the best IMO

www.alias23.com

I’ve noted the ZZR stamping on the ones I’ve got now hence a little wary. 

Trofeo quite a lot more money it would seem

whAt about Cup2s which now seem to be standard fitment  

@alias23 and @550superfast what pressures are you guys running? Maybe it’s me thats the problem, everyone kept saying zzr when I spoke of my issues but clearly you two are making them work.

if you are pushing hard would you give them a slightly easier lap to allow some cool down - effectively manage the tyres a bit or do you drop down a few more psi?

Same pressures. 30psi all round hot. 

18 minutes ago, RS4 said:

Trofeo quite a lot more money it would seem

The new “Trofeo R” is not cheap. But see the link I posted.

4 year old rubber, but well stored, cheap and bags of grip. 

Will give them a few more goes then given both of you are far more experienced than me.

they did hold up well at silver stone national circuit. Maybe goodwood being so fast and with so many right handers is just overly harsh on any tyre and on that circuit I either need to drop a few additional psi or do a slower lap half way through the session to give the tyres some breathing space.

Would also be interested to hear how cup 2’s compare to the trofeo. 

Always good to do a lap or lap and a half cool down at the end of the session for engine and gearbox, brakes and tyres etc. But never needed a midway one to get tyres to come back - maybe I need to go quicker.

Goodwood is tough on front left tyre - seems you are always leaning on it.

Also geo has a big effect on tyres

2 hours ago, BatMobile said:

I would say stay well clear of trofeo’s. On them now and they “go off” quickly.

great road tyre, imho rubbish track tyre if you like driving at 8/10ths or above of the cars ability. 

havent used zzr but everyone I spoke to said they are the best and the lotus cup racing cars are all using them.

supposedly better than the michelins on the exige - always had Michelin’s on my performance cars but will be switching to zzr’s when i decide on the bc wheel design I want.

also had a good chat to Steve Glynn who was at goodwood teaching a guy in a gt3 rs. He was saying for Porsche the Michelin’s are the choice but also confirmed zzr’s for the exige; he also recommended a track geo at back on track. How did you find the exige after your geo set up?

i am no expert, rest assured, but those much more capable all seem to point in the same direction.

Don't agree on Trofeo Rs, I found them to be great and I probably drive more aggressively than most on track...

Cup 2 are great, I'm on them now and they have lots of grip and are alright in the wet.

I'd steer clear of ZZR, I know a few people who've had them delaminate now, plus they're not technically road legal.

37 minutes ago, 550superfast said:

Always good to do a lap or lap and a half cool down at the end of the session for engine and gearbox, brakes and tyres etc. But never needed a midway one to get tyres to come back - maybe I need to go quicker.

Exactly this, it was the fast gentle right that left me clenching as the grip just fell away and the front left is clearly key in this equation.

yeah I do a full lap of cool down with no gear changes (where possible) then let the car idle for a few minutes to let the fans do their magic.

i take back my trofeo comment - obviously had some bad advice and this is why I love the forum. Always learning.

geo will be getting done by back on track - this is also key to the handling element.

thanks for the tips guys, saved me a bunch of cash changing tyres early. 

Clearly i am full of rubbish 😂 

It’s all learning ... and feedback is good.

As mentioned by others I always do at least one cool down lap before coming in.

I also check my tyre pressure through out the day. You’ll be surprised how it fluctuates through out the day. 

I run 30psi all round. The link to Dave’s bargain Trofeo’s is a good shout and that’s what I’ve been stocking up on with no problem.

www.alias23.com

i use trofeos and there as good as you get your problem could be how many heat cycles you have put them through they are a track based tyre so this is important, i have tried everything except nankangs not on a exige but there all never as good after a few heat cycles also your hot pressures might be out a tad which is a massive difference..

I absolutely loved my trofoes on track with my v6, infact the car just felt right on them, track or road. the Corsas by comparison were a bit uncertain on the road and utterly tragic on track. 

I'd go for trofeos in your position. 

23 hours ago, 550superfast said:

Go quicker?

I had to buy a new car to try and keep up!!