free hit
counters
Evora front discs - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi everyone

Once again on the 22nd of June I have to take my Evora to Oakmere Northwich to have the front brake judder looked at ,this will be the third time the Evora has gone in for brakes, the first time  it  went in it cost me £800.00 for discs and pads not long after having them fitted I was experiencing a judder when  braking, They changed the front pads and discs again under warranty F O C  I took the vehicle away and it hasn't been right since I still have the judder on braking ,OK you have to go over 70 miles an hour to get it to do it but at the end of the day  it is a sports car after all

Any one else had this problem

Edited by hatters

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have you had your front wheels rebalanced? Sometimes, a slightly out-of-balance front wheel will only be felt under braking (or at certain, higher speeds). 

Might be a bit of hub run-out, too.

Try another set of front wheels / tyres from dealer or friend to rule that out.  If that doesn't resolve it and you have correctly mounted new discs and pads, then as above get the hubs checked for run out. Do you ever hit the brakes really hard - as in trackday / sprint type scenario?  If not, I would find a deserted road and try that a few times. Brake as hard as you can without the abs kicking in and it may just settle it down.

@hatters I had a similar thing on my daily driver after an enthusiastic drive through the Pyrenees. Changed the front discs and pads which I thought solved it but soon after the judder came back. I then changed the rear disc and pads which totally eradicated the problem. It might worth doing the same as I swore the problem was from the front. I know that @DanChantler also had a similar experience which was finally resolved by changing the rears on his Evora. 

Thanks for the advice ,I will tell Paul at Oakmere and see where we go from there it's quite possible it is the rears I suppose

@hatters Any update on this?

I noticed my brakes were a bit grabby at low speeds recently, and sure enough with few test-brakes from ~70mph there's quite a lot of judder there.

It's been in for a scheduled service today and they noted the front left disc needed replacement due to being off centre (and therefore both fronts needed replacement) - I said great, book it in, but then they dropped the bombshell that he'd have to check whether Lotus would honour it under warranty or whether it's wear and tear.

3000 miles and a year from new, never seen a track and generally had an easy life - I'll be somewhat less than impressed if I have to shell out for new front discs already.

Edited by Mister_Tad

@Mister_Tad You’ll be even less impressed when you see they are £875+VAT each.

i was hoping to sort replacements from AP racing direct when the time comes. 

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

18 minutes ago, Colin P said:

@Mister_Tad You’ll be even less impressed when you see they are £875+VAT each.

3000 miles can not be wear and tear.

Should be at least a warranty claim even with a customer payment for 3000 miles of wear and tear.

23 minutes ago, Colin P said:

Give BG Developments a call, they manufacture for AP. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators