free hit
counters
connectors in passenger bay - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi All, I went to see a V8 today and there were a couple of electrical connectors unconnected in the passenger behind/underneath the glove box.

Any one know what they maybe?  The seller (trader) had no clue.

Thanks

Chris

Edited by LotusFella
spelling

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Diagnostics, probably.  But yes, a pic or description would be nice.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Mine had an old Nokia hands free kit - maybe it’s one of them

Only here once

Is this an actual roadgoing V8?? They seem rare beasts these days

• Haha 1

Only here once

sorry I wasn't able to take a photo stupidly. Yes it's road going.

Cars done 60k

It drove very nicely. My heart is saying buy it but my head is saying it will be a money pit!

Here are the bad bits. 

Engine bay is a little tatty. (I know the car is 17 years old) paint lifting

AC not working although he said it will be fix along with door lock solenoid.

From the limit view i had from the underneath there seems to be a lot of corrosion,  nuts, coolant pipe ends and turbos although the invoices say the garretts were changed in 2009 . Difficult to tell conditions of the springs and dampers but at least surface pitting and no invoice of recent replacement.  Whilst I suspect most of it is probably surface rust I couldn’t be sure. The nuts to the oil coolers were quite rusty and I couldn’t see that any of the coolers or Rad had been replace in any of the invoices.  However I couldn’t see any leaks which is a positive.

Front bonnet catches when opening. This could be a sign of bad fitting clam/bonnet after accident or something else. is this common

Oil weeping from where the clutch cable connects the the housing at the rear. not dripping though

Electrical connectors hanging down from passenger side.

Windscreen wiper lifted at end .

also when I tried to reverse on full lock I think it juddered a little.  Is this normal.  I have seen this on some other makes.  There was no wandering on the road and steering felt very precise.

thoughts please.  They're asking mid £30's

Edited by LotusFella
spelling

There’s plenty of v8 owners on here who absolutely love them 👍

Only here once

The best thing I can say is take someone along to have a look at it who knows about them. Where about is it?

Oh and ignore @Barrykearley unless its how to repair them - he's just bitter and twisted.

• Thanks 1

Yup @march - hit the nail on the head there. I’m still struggling to pay off the debts from V8 ownership. The scars from selling my kidneys are looking nice now

• Like 1

Only here once

There is an ECU diagnostic connector behind the glove box (to connect diagnostic tools) as well as one next to the battery in the boot. I think the other connector is the ABS diagnostic port.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

the most important check for me was the oil cap and dip stick when cold, smell it, feel it, run it and check again. 

after checking this......I paid just a fraction of the asking price. LoL

Edited by v8GTmac1

I have a 98 V8 and yes the hanging connector under the glovebox is for the diagnostic connector.  I havehooked up to it many times to clear codes and see live diagnostic information while running.  It was what told me that my TPS or throttle position sensor was not opening all the way.  The other connector is either for ABS or AirBag.......just cant remember, but I believe ABS.  The mileage is higher than I would want, but the V8's are absolute beasts.  I bought a muffler delete setup off of a Lotus Chat guy in San Diego and lost 36 pounds if memory serves me right, which is the equivalent of a months drinking of British Beer!!!!  I also had an issue with a Cat is what I thought so while I was doing the muffler delete I pulled both Cats off and sure enough one was broken up and just about completely clogged..........and the othger was.......lets say already modified so that issue would never come up.  Obviously it had happened in the past.  Once the clogged Cat was.........fixed lets say the car sounds great and it is a real beast.  If you floor it in 1st gear it will violently break the wheels loose.  The turbos spool up quicker and it definetly is a pleasure to drive.  I would keep looking for a V8 one and definetly buy it.  I would look for as you have evidence of coolant leaks I would watch the temperture gauge and see how it reacts hot and cold.  I would look and see if the axle shafts where they go into the transaxle are leaking or weeping.  I would check all oil cooler connection nhoses as I had one pop off but I was able to turn off the car quickly.  All good.  I have had the plenum off mine to replace Coils, wires, thermostat and all sensors while the plenum was off and plugs and air filters and fuel filters and feel like maintenance wise I am good for awhile.  Thanks Mark

How did you find the info on the TPS? While mine goes like a rocket downhill, id like to check on that issue....

thnaks i nadvance

My car is on my lift currently and I will try to hook up my code reader, so I can give you specifics and not from memory.  I do have my code reader in front of me currently, but it will only go so far without being hooked up to the car.  So I hooked up my code reader, which is an (Actron CP9190) to the Diagnostic port under the passenger side.  I have a fairly long cable connected to my code reader, so no problem sitting in the drivers seat and reading the code reader. I ususally choose the Global OBDII for the type of vehicle on my code reader. With the code reader hooked up key on, but car not running I choose the following;

1.  Datastream, which gives me the Datastream Menu

2.  I believe the next thing I do is hit "View Data"

I want to say my code reader goes thru all the PID's as it says and then shows me for example Coolant temperature, All O2 Sensors MAP pressure etc and also TPS or Throttle Position Sensor, which was at 76% when I floored the accelerator pedal.  I was in the midst of adjusting the Throttle cable at the back of the engine as it was loose.  I got that tight and then I think I started to adjust the bolt under the gas pedal until when I floored it it read 100%.  Someone else on either Lotus Forum or Lotus Chat said the factory set it up that way when new and at the 1st service would adjust it???  I dont know how true that is, but I can tell you that if you do the reading and it reads similar to mine and you adjust the pedal you will know a huge difference.  My car will break the wheels loose anywhere in 1st gear when I floor it.  It is a pretty big difference.

I will double check tomorrow on my code reader when I bring the car down from the lift and am able to hook up the reader to confirm that is where you look on your reader.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks Mark