free hit
counters
anyone know about a V8 S60TUS? - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

anyone know about a V8 S60TUS?

31 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I wouldn't be able to look at that for about a week!  And you know how little I know about V8 engines...

That wouldn't be a problem.....  timing wise that is 🙂 .  2nd sentence, is he being modest.  How much can you tell with stripping the engine.  Maybe we could have a chat.  I'll pm my number over if thats ok?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's one in the right colour

I’ve only gone and bought it!  Any recommendations for insurance company’s? thx for all the info comment from TLF much appreciated.     

Hate to say it chaps. But my blue S4 sounds better than the V8  It’s an Esprit - of course I loved it. Hated it in equal measure at times

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

No worries, happy to help in any way I can.  But I'm quite serious!  Frankly, I wouldn't touch a V8 with a bargepole.  There are lots of happy owners, and possibly as many who've been seriously biffed in the pocket.  If you buy a sorted one with good history, then you'll probably be OK, but if a V8 hurts, it HURTS.

Feel free to PM...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

The V8 is a proper supercar of its day unlike the junior 4 pots and they’re just jealous. Engines aren’t a problem but the turbos are probably 50k mile items and when they let go it can cause internal damage. If you’re worried about big bills that “possibly” go with that era of supercar then stay clear.

Trevor.

• Like 1

I'll get around to it at some point.

1 hour ago, LotusFella said:

That wouldn't be a problem.....  timing wise that is 🙂 .  2nd sentence, is he being modest.  How much can you tell with stripping the engine.  Maybe we could have a chat.  I'll pm my number over if thats ok?

I meant without stripping the engine.

• Gold FFM

No worries, that's what I read!  You can tell a fair bit; ultimately it's an internal combustion engine.  There are certain things to look out for - as Trev said, turbos.  A personal favourite of mine is turbo pipework.  Ouch.  The rest of the car is pretty much the same as any Esprit.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Check for oil leaks around the exhaust manifolds - botched rebuilds can end stud holes being drilled through to oil galleries (metal is very thin at that point). If you see any weeping walk away as the cylinder head will almost certainly be scrap. I know this as someone did this to mine, also someone recently had the same issue.

Yes I remember a thread about the manifold studs and to be very carefully when drilling them out, 

Can't remember if it was Alex or Barrys  thread on V8 engine wows to be carefull of. 

A

s-l1600.jpgOk just got back from viewing this car https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/esprit/1999-lotus-esprit-v8-gt/8663936

and I really like it.  Very close to closing a deal but I have a of couple questions of the knowledgeable forum.

It has aftermarket seats which I'm not overly keen on and I know the wife wont like them.  Does anyone have any V8 seats for sale? If not do they come up or are they like hens teeth.

are replacement remotes/alarm fobs available? as 1 not working at all and the other not great.

it's done 39K and timing belt replaced at 18k how expansive is cambelt change and is it engine out? 

I think I'm gonna be a lotus owner again!!!! whoa!!

Edited by LotusFella
  • Gold FFM

That sounds like it’s gonna need belts - and tensioners.

seats rarely come up - not gonna be cheap I doubt.

alarm is a cobra - or should be - you can still get fobs - does it have the touch key as you need that to code the remotes

Only here once

10 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

That sounds like it’s gonna need belts - and tensioners.

seats rarely come up - not gonna be cheap I doubt.

alarm is a cobra - or should be - you can still get fobs - does it have the touch key as you need that to code the remotes

the key does not have buttons it's like the S1 Elise 

fob1.jpg

fob.jpg

any good GT aftermarket seats anyone can recommend.  ones in car are ok for short journeys but not grand touring.  I want to do the Stelvio pass.  

seat.JPG

Edited by LotusFella

That's an impeller from a turbo.  It's completely consumed and the blades are all but worn to nothing.  You don't ever want that happening to yours while the engine is running...... 

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

You don't keep that in the glove box by accident.   That's a reminder!!!!!  I bet  thats had a total engine rebuild since new.    I used to have a triumph stag piston with  the head of a valve embedded on edge in the top as a reminder like that.

There is a piece of trim missing from the spoiler (light surround) and there should not be a second light set on the boot lid itself.

image.png.1bb359203d90c13c6d7b235cb440ae98.png

The bonnet does not look right (the Mrs spotted it straight away). It looks like the bonnet has been built up more than it should but  it could just be the photo:

image.png.b10608c43278c505500cacdec46e0648.png

The more I look at the photos the concerned and the other things that have been raised I would be a bit wary about this one.

• Gold FFM

Sure mine had a high level brake light in the same place.

you only live once - just buy it :devil:

• Haha 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I don’t know a single person who’s ever had issues with a v8.

ignore the naysayers - grab it and love it

• Haha 2

Only here once