free hit
counters
GT410 Sport ordered today - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Spinney

GT410 Sport ordered today

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I bet the Macca salesman blames you for the loss of the sale, rather than his own shocking arrogance! 

Congrats on the new car, bet you can't wait! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know someone who was involved in the McLaren road car project from very early on, the engine was in fact originally based on a still born Indy car engine from Maynard .

The fella I was talking to assured me it was developed by Ricardo, for whom he was working, and originally funded by Nissan. 

And originally funded by Nissan, hence it’s an old Nissan lump which is all I wanted to know should I ever speak with the McLaren sales guy again!😁

Edited by Spinney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_M838T_engine

"McLaren bought the rights to the Tom Walkinshaw Racing developed engine (based on the Nissan VRH engine) which was designed for the IRL Indycar championship but never raced. However, other than the 93 mm bore, little of that engine remains in the M838T.[2] In only 18 months, Ricardo went from a clean sheet of paper to a running prototype."

Congrats on the car :)

2 hours ago, Spinney said:

metallic blue with tan leather interior, silver wheels, 

that is going to be stunning 😍

• Like 1

Sounds like a typical suits and aftershave knob at McLaren. They should really be able to put better staff in these positions. The modern way of even main dealers at the high end is very casual these days and there's no way he should have been dissing Lotus that's our job when we own them 😂

You'll be pleased with the 410. Mine has gone away to be finished now finally but I'm determined to get all the silly issues ironed out as it is underneath the shoddy QC a truly great car. Any future replacement be it a gt3 or macca would need a decent test drive as the ride and handling is world class on the Evora. 

Congratulations, that sounds like a great spec and look forward to seeing pictures.  Agree wholeheartedly with your comments about Jamie compared to the irritating and arrogant salesmen at most other high end dealers.  I got an incredibly condescending attitude on the McLaren stand at Goodwood one year when I tried to put my name on a waiting list for a new model.  They should have noticed my badges for a corporate box and supercar paddock parking but regardless of that their approach to possible customers was just rude!

• Like 1

Yeah, that McLaren salesman was well out of order.

If he's got a potential customer also considering 'X' rival brand, how does it help him giving a -VE view of it.... that imply's a -VE view of the customer too. I would be more professional just to focus on the (many) +VEs of the Macca and let the car do the talking.

Also, many key staff members at McLaren are ex-Lotus, so if Lotus is no good, why have McLaren employed these people to develop their cars? 25 years ago Lotus launched a mid engined jnr supercar, powered by a 3.5 litre compact V8 twin turbo. 20 years ago Lotus displayed the M250, with a high sided chassis tub & beetle wing doors.... 7 years ago McLaren launched something very similar to these combined cars, funded with Gulf oil money. 

Its easy to have pop at Lotus buying-in drivetrains from Toyota..... but McLaren don't make their own engines, or transmissions or even the main chassis tub - these key assemblies are bespoke but made by 3rd parties. 

Edited by Cain-it

Congrats on the car!

would the Lotus still have won the day if the McLaren salesman hadn’t been such an arse?

New Lotus, used McLaren - tough call!

2 hours ago, Cain-it said:

Its easy to have pop at Lotus buying-in drivetrains from Toyota.....

It does seem when I come into contact with people who may not know a lot about the Evora, but are into cars, the one thing they know is that its a Camry engine. It almost seems like a scarlet letter.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I took my 400 to a Cars and Coffee last Friday. When leaving the show at the end a bunch of the people attending were at the exit watching the cars leave. As I was leaving someone from the crowd yelled "Its just a Camry!" I also see this comment a lot on reviews of the Evora. People in comments talking about how is essentially a re-badged Camry. Almost every reviewer points out the engine is from a Camry. I don't think reviewers do it to insult the car, but I do think sometimes its more of backhanded compliment like "in spite of this is performs well". People think something that looks exotic needs to have some exotic engine in it. Makes me wonder how many prospective customers get turned off once they find that it shares something with a Camry.

2 hours ago, Neal H said:

Congrats on the car!

would the Lotus still have won the day if the McLaren salesman hadn’t been such an arse?

New Lotus, used McLaren - tough call!

Yes, for the reasons I’ve mentioned, the 410 won out on its handling/ride dynamics and the fact the McLaren, although better in some respects, not least the brutal acceleration, it just wasn’t £50k better in my view. The sales guys manner wasn’t entirely unexpected, given the arrogance a lot of the high end car sales people often seem to display.

Had I decided the McLaren was the car for me, I don’t think the arse of a salesman would have put me off. He would still have irritated me but I’ve met far too many of his kind over the years to have been put off, to be honest. 

I guess Lotus is just too far ingrained into my being! 😁

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cain-it said:

Also, many key staff members at McLaren are ex-Lotus, so if Lotus is no good, why have McLaren employed these people to develop their cars? 25 years ago Lotus launched a mid engined jnr supercar, powered by a 3.5 litre compact V8 twin turbo. 20 years ago Lotus displayed the M250, with a high sided chassis tub & beetle wing doors.... 7 years ago McLaren launched something very similar to these combined cars, funded with Gulf oil money. 

Not forgetting, as well, that McLaren actually bought/were gifted their own Evora in order to analyse/copy it’s handling characteristics and dynamics. That car’s new owner, @Plehti, has recently joined TLF.  :thumbup:

10 hours ago, nerobi said:

Congragulations for the car!

Also, here is a 450k$ car with a truck engine:

yeni-ford-gt-sini-satan-john-cenaya-mahk

My son has an F150 Raptor truck which I think has that same engine. The truck wouldn't have been my choice but it does sound amazing, :)like something you could wake the dead with! Not surprisingly when we have been over to see him, his mother hates it with every fibre of her being!:rofl:

• Like 1

Excellent choice of car. I look forward to seeing it, and having been to that exact same McLaren dealer, I bet I know who you dealt with....

• Like 1

On 16/06/2018 at 09:39, jonnyboy said:

Sounds like a typical suits and aftershave knob at McLaren. They should really be able to put better staff in these positions. The modern way of even main dealers at the high end is very casual these days and there's no way he should have been dissing Lotus that's our job when we own them 😂

You'll be pleased with the 410. Mine has gone away to be finished now finally but I'm determined to get all the silly issues ironed out as it is underneath the shoddy QC a truly great car. Any future replacement be it a gt3 or macca would need a decent test drive as the ride and handling is world class on the Evora. 

One of the first things anyone in sales is taught or learns  is to never slag off the competition because you might well piss the customer off and get into this kind of debate.