free hit
counters
Question re the "Premium Infotainment Head Unit" - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Question re the "Premium Infotainment Head Unit"

The one with Apple Car Play being offered as an option on the Evora that is. I've specced this head unit for the 410 without really knowing much/anything about it and bearing in mind my (probably age related) modern tech numptiness, can anybody tell me please which make and model this is so that I can search online and read up about it? As is usual with Lotus, the only information you get about it in the spec sheet is precisely what I've typed in the thread heading, so not a lot to go on.

I believe it has satnav capability but is this only through my iPhone? Reason for asking is when I spoke to my son on the phone last night, he told me he has this in his F150 and he thought it was pretty poor, preferring instead a more 'conventional' satnav. In my Exige, I had fitted a Pioneer head unit with flip out screen and satnav and that is pretty good, so I'd hate to take a step back in terms of satnav readability. I want to get this right now before the car goes into build and only finding out I may not like it too late.

Thanks for any help with this but please be gentle with this old dinosaur who still thinks that, given they have no moving parts, smart phones must work by using black magic!:dizzy:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got a control for my in-car sound system that combines linear and rotary motion - works very well too!

Its the Alpine INE-W710 with Carplay and Android Auto but also has Built-in iGo Primo NextGen Navigation according to the Alpine site.

Nope - with the single din there was a "blanking shelf" like this and when yo took it out you had a double din space.

Posted Images

Its the Alpine INE-W710 with Carplay and Android Auto but also has Built-in iGo Primo NextGen Navigation according to the Alpine site.

• Like 1

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

23 hours ago, Spinney said:

That's great thanks. I'll take a look at what it can do.

Make sure that the DAB is actually connected to an aerial of some sort. 

18 minutes ago, EGTE said:

Wonder if it will go in an NA?

There’s no reason why it won’t (as long as you’ve already got a 2-din unit fitted). You might have to bugger about with the loom/harness though. 

• Gold FFM

My NA came with thee single DIN and I put a double din Alpine W990 in it nae bother

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

3 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Make sure that the DAB is actually connected to an aerial of some sort. 

Jamie mentioned that to me when I ordered the car and will be ensuring it is, I believe.:yes:

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Doesn’t it involve changing the surround?

Nope - with the single din there was a "blanking shelf" like this and when yo took it out you had a double din space.

Universal Single DIN Pocket/Tray (Double Din Adapter) Storage Box

• Thanks 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

It's a nice unit though I find the lack of a rotary volume control massively frustrating. Still looking for some solution to that, perhaps a bluetooth volume control which I can stick to the steering column. :?

There must be a market for someone to create a dumb head unit which *just does CarPlay or Android Auto* because mine cost the same, but I don't use any of the stock software, it's basically an amp for my iPhone. 😕

@Nathan Pitman I am not sure you can buy any double din head unit with a screen and a rotary volume control although maybe some of the cheap unbranded unit on eBay from China have them.

If you want just Carplay, and a radio, that is just 'an amp for your iPhone' then Alpine sell the iLX-700 at around £450 and Pioneer have the SPH-DA120 for around £300.

• Like 1

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

@internets yea I should prob have gone with one of those, oh well... a decent sat nav is prob handy to have should I find myself with no network coverage from the phone. Might pick up one of those units for my sensible car though. The trend towards push button volume controls befuddles me... I have a rotary switch in my VW and it allows you to locate the control and adjust it without removing your eyes from the road. The 'design' of the vast majority of modern head units is really very poorly considered. 😕

• Gold FFM
40 minutes ago, Nathan Pitman said:

I have a rotary switch in my VW and it allows you to locate the control and adjust it without removing your eyes from the road. 😕

Have a one on my wife's JCW, the issue though is that the damn graphic is printed on to the knob and therefore rotates with it. As such I can't use it as I have to set the graphic vertically and then use the controls on the steering wheel or it does in my OCD. 

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

55 minutes ago, Nathan Pitman said:

... a decent sat nav is prob handy to have should I find myself with no network coverage from the phone....

Download HERE maps, allows you to save offline maps and does offline routing too.  I believe should work fine on Android Car but you'll have to wait till Apple release iOS 12 till you can use 3rd party mapping software with Apple car play.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Colin P said:

Have a one on my wife's JCW, the issue though is that the damn graphic is printed on to the knob and therefore rotates with it. As such I can't use it as I have to set the graphic vertically and then use the controls on the steering wheel or it does in my OCD. 

Same in the VW, the switch is push for on/off so the power icon rotates with the volume, which annoys me. They could easily have made the outer rotary and the inner static... but it's better than an two identical buttons side by side (in amongst other identical buttons)!

2 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

Download HERE maps, allows you to save offline maps and does offline routing too.  I believe should work fine on Android Car but you'll have to wait till Apple release iOS 12 till you can use 3rd party mapping software with Apple car play.

Yea I'm looking forward to that - I have heard good things about HERE and Waze too.

• Gold FFM

I've got a control for my in-car sound system that combines linear and rotary motion - works very well too!

1060602977_throttlepedal.jpg.98ed891345cdeffd97172097f1066fdc.jpg

:whistle::driving::sofa:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, internets said:

@Nathan Pitman I am not sure you can buy any double din head unit with a screen and a rotary volume control although maybe some of the cheap unbranded unit on eBay from China have them.

I recently installed a new double din headunit in my car. I choose it because it had the rotary volume control:

6368288A-2FC0-4740-9089-8FB053EBF887.jpeg

However, although it is ‘branded’, it is only one step removed from “cheap unbranded unit on eBay from China”. 

• Like 1