free hit
counters
Need help/advice! - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Need help/advice!

SAMike

So I recently purchased a Innova 3030h code reader to clear a check engine light. So now that I’ve cleared the CEL and the codes the engine stalls when the AC is turned on. Funny thing is the car is running perfect, rough idle or anything. I mean I don’t know if me or what but it even seems to have more power. My question is could this reader have erased more than just the codes. Is this common. As soon as the AC is turned on (no other time) the engine shuts off. This has never happened before with this car just after I cleared the the CEL and codes. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It sounds as though you have reset your Idle Control as well as clearing any codes.  If this is the case, then the engine will need to re-learn the idle including the AC.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Thanks Mike. I did drive it about 30 to 40 miles after that and it still shuts off after the AC is switched on. Like I mentioned before absolutely no idle or stalling issues when AC is off, runs perfect.  Did try starting with the AC on and it starts, stumbles then shuts off. Maybe the compressor?

If the compressor is seized or badly dragging, then when engaged it could cause he the engine to stall.  Easy enough to check from underneath. 

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

I use the one next to the battery.

41 minutes ago, mike_sekinger said:

I use the one next to the battery.

me too-because I cant find another one! assuming your car is LHD...where is your under dash socket located? If you don't have on, maybe I don't either.

thanks

S

My car is a LHD and I used the one under the passenger side dash. I didn't know that there was one by the battery, as I don't remember seeing one there. I'll look when I get home. I hope I can get this worked out, the car is running so nice other than this.

Hello SAMike. Echoing Mike S's comments:

image.png.28862784905ef41ebaf0f4d9ed5628a9.png

When you say that turning the AC on kills the engine, does that happen if you are moving (at speed), or just on idle?

Also, how new is your battery? AC kicking in can reduce the system voltage below the ECM operating threshold and it will shut down. This may just be coincidentally failing at the same time as you cleared the codes.

To track this down I would suggest downloading Peter's excellent V8 OBD diagnostics. You can watch what is happening to voltages and the AC signals in real time.

image.png.9f1dee4fd929cf174fed16281df886ee.png

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

7 hours ago, SAMike said:

My car is a LHD and I used the one under the passenger side dash. I didn't know that there was one by the battery, as I don't remember seeing one there. I'll look when I get home. I hope I can get this worked out, the car is running so nice other than this.

PS the rear one is at the back of the fusebox by the battery, as per:

366776876_OBDlocations.png.beae3dbb2e476e3a790fe5f5b0f8fc63.png

Thanks Alan!. I talked to my mechanic and he said it might be the ICV like Mike had suggested before. But I don't understand how it could knock that out with just clearing the codes. I just haven't had time to check it out due to work. but its seems like it would have reset itself in the 40+ miles I drove it home afterward.

• Gold FFM

Do you know what triggered the CEL in the first place and what codes were thrown? Maybe you have another issue that needs addressing (or maybe I've missed another post that explains all that??  :) ).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SAMike said:

Thanks Alan!. I talked to my mechanic and he said it might be the ICV like Mike had suggested before. But I don't understand how it could knock that out with just clearing the codes. I just haven't had time to check it out due to work. but its seems like it would have reset itself in the 40+ miles I drove it home afterward.

"Might be..."

Get some diagnostics on it Mike!

As Chris has said, what was the original error(s)?

Again, does turning the AC on kill the engine if you are moving, or is it just at idle?

Finally found the culprit. It is indeed the battery. So I finally had a chance to check out the car since all this happened and I did leave it on the battery tender since Sunday. When I went out to the garage I saw that the light was green on the tender. So I started it up and let it cycle for a bit and turned on the AC with no issues whatsoever. I guess trying to figure out the code reader and not having the engine fully on and the key just turned just before ignition drained an already weak battery. 

• Like 1

For some reason I haven't yet identified, Esprit V8s seem to eat batteries. I know that @march has had the same problem as me with almost new ones failing (I have had three replacement batteries in three years) unless they are exercised very regularly. When I finally get my V8 ECM replacement designed I am going to incorporate battery voltage/ECM current monitors to get to the bottom of this... 

PS if your battery is failing then even jump starting the car might just get it to run but then the battery voltage falls and the ECM drops out. That caused me a lot of consternation, thinking it was fuelling etc. until I got the OBD showing the ECM volts.

@swindon_alan Apparently the new type of batteries do not cope well with not being used on a regular basis. I am currently trying out a really cheap traditional lead acid battery rather than the newer Silver Calcium batteries that are being sold. The down side is a lower amperage and Cold cranking capacity. - So far so good but it has only been in a year.

• Thanks 1

• Gold FFM

Agree entirely about the batteries. I'm seeing a lot more battery replacements on boats these days, whereas we used to get 5-6 years out of them, now we're lucky to get 3. And that's the decent ones.

IMO, batteries like to be 'worked', they don't like sitting around.

• Thanks 1

Margate Exotics.