free hit
counters
New Exige pricing - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Gavlotus

New Exige pricing

Hi All

I don’t usually post but check the forums on most days.

I’ve had multiple Loti and have an Exige 380 sport at the minute.

I change my car every 12 to 18 months and have been looking at the newest editions for a couple of months now.

How on earth does the 410 sport justify £100k fully loaded????

Thats over £20k more than a full price 380.

Are people really gonna upgrade?

i love these things and have had all Exige v6 models, Evora including the 400 but I think the prices are now crazy.

Am I just being tight?

Gav

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It is a bit conceptual discussion, but I personally (after buying new Sport 350 last August) can't see a way to part with £100k in exchange for a car that, even though is fantastic to drive (especially on the trackdays), has a long list of rather significant deficiencies making it not really complete vehicle. So no, I do not think you are being overly tight.

• Like 1

Prices have increased dramatically on the new models. Too high in my opinion. 

But there is a demo 430 cup up at 93.5k. About 15k off list. A lot of money still, but feeling slightly more sensible.  

I saw that 430 for sale and I am thinking about it but still not sure it’s really worth the upgrade to my 380?

i paid full price on my 380 but had a very competitive trade in on my 350.

£93k still seems like a lot.

just need to get my head round it.

At 93k it seems actually like a bit of a bargain when you consider what the 380 cups and the 410’s are up for  and other 430 s

I am sure Connor at Central would offer you a good deal

If your happy why change? 

The 430/410 comes with a newer engine and for sure will be more powerful. This has a physical value that can be justified.... Both at least give you a proper rev range where the 380 is limited. 

Personally the 380s have never given me a problem on track and I have the original be it somewhat upgraded. 

What are you hoping to gain from an upgrade?

www.alias23.com

I just love buying cars.

But for some reason the price for an Exige now is making it very difficult to justify.

The other problem is that there is no real competitor in my opinion.

Maybe Mclaren but is more expensive to buy and to keep.

should probably just be happy with what I’ve got as it is my favourite Lotus yet!

I’ll have a think

@Gavlotus I am in exactly (well was) position as yourself, but I decided its just not worth it. If I would have been told at the time there is a new 430 coming in 5 months I would have waited and bought one, 100% certain. However, once you drive your shiny new car out of the showroom the instant massive hit coupled with another £25K+ makes it a no no for me. Not that its isn't a great car, its just too much for what it is. And probably because of that I'll never buy another new Lotus. As an example I can buy her indoors a new Audi RS3 for the upgrade price and thats is food for thought based on what I already have.

So I've decided to keep it, an upgrade the engine; and perhaps in 42 years it will be worth as much as my Sprint ;)

cheers

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

try to define what you enjoy from these cars, ditch the 'upgrade' argument...that's bollocks...if what you enjoy is even more concentrated in the 410 - go for it, if not...well stay where you are

I am also in the same position.

But if you think, like me, that the next gen of Lotus cars should miss something (motor downsizing, less sound, more easy to drive, less radical for a bigger market...) then these "water cooled" Exige models could be the best of all time. 

So in your case, I will pay this time for the "upgrade"

1 hour ago, Mark030358 said:

in 42 years it will be worth as much as my Sprint

...but will never drive like it 😉

Same position here with my 380.  I usually change every 6 months , but can’t justify the jump up to a 410/430 when the 380 ticks all the boxes for me.  

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Crazy people, buying and upgrading each time Lotus pumps out a facelift of the same car. 😂 but as long as you enjoy, why not :)

Edited by Waky

I hear you! The Egige 410 and 430 pricing may be necessary for Lotus profitability, but the value for money is no longer there.

When you're in the league for serious money you have to deliver. The Exige is a great trackday tool, but at these prices it has to provide more than just that. In fact, as a trackday car the 311 outpaces the Exige both  in performance and commitment.  Exige usability as a daily driver remains poor and you're no longer compensating that with a lower price. 

Though even higher priced the Evora 430 is a much more complete car and as such IMHO the better choice. Or keep what you have and let Komotec or Hangar111 do their thing to your car.

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

18 hours ago, Gavlotus said:

Hi All

I don’t usually post but check the forums on most days.

I’ve had multiple Loti and have an Exige 380 sport at the minute.

I change my car every 12 to 18 months and have been looking at the newest editions for a couple of months now.

How on earth does the 410 sport justify £100k fully loaded????

Thats over £20k more than a full price 380.

Are people really gonna upgrade?

i love these things and have had all Exige v6 models, Evora including the 400 but I think the prices are now crazy.

Am I just being tight?

Gav

Not trying to be obnoxious, but if a cup 430 is not worth 20k more than a 380, is a 380 worth 30k more than a V6s?

It’s all about perspective and of course have you got the funds!

Controversially the Cup 430 is out of the box the fastest ever Exige particularly on track. It comes with all the bells and whistles, brakes, suspension and carbon.

Although some may disagree I don’t think a Komotec 460 would be as quick on track as most are V6s conversions which weighed in at over 1,170 kg, Cups were a little bit lighter of course but a 430 is probably over 80kg lighter and has better aerodynamics.

In reality maybe the best option is a well specced 350 with a 460 conversion as it starts life far lighter than a V6s.

Taking a 350 at £65,000 and adding Carbon, Nitros , Komotec 460 and other odds and sods would cost probably £25,000, so not far off Centrals 430 at £93,000

• Like 1

I totally agree with this.

If you are new to Lotus then the price is what it is, however if you did get in at the right time its a little tougher.   

I got my exige 350 for £56k brand new so for me its a no brainer to upgrade it rather than trade it in for £50k and add another £43k to get a 430 that isnt to my spec; reality is that my car would be the first 50% on a 430 i want. 

Its not the funds that prohibit me going to a 430 but rather my head. It just says its not the best pound for pound route to go when certain aftermarket upgrades are so proven; its 50% of the pot i need to scratch my GTE itch without me having to let one of my cars go to appease my wife! She wont buy that argument at all but you know what i mean.

I do wonder how the used 350 market will go. Will the new increase in prices push up all 350 used prices slightly, will only the newer 350s have a higher second hand residual or wil new 350 owners just get hit harder come resale time. 

4 hours ago, Tex said:

It’s all about perspective and of course have you got the funds!

In answer to the above, yes ans yes. To me it's what I perceive as value.

5 hours ago, Gavlotus said:

There a only a few Lotus customers compared to other marques and if the hard core, which I probably am, are struggling to see the point then it may end up being a struggle for Lotus.

Have to agree with @Gavlotus 100%

21 hours ago, PhilT said:

...but will never drive like it 😉

@PhilT Brilliant :respect:

As many have said all comes down to what you value... also how you will use the car.

If you want a track car id argue actually the 430 is not a good choice and would suggest you look at upgrading an original v6 or 350.

No doubt any test drive of a 430 will wow but my suggest is go test drive or take a pax lap in a KT460 and then try and justify the price difference!!!

www.alias23.com

The 430 is way overpriced, let say the gt3 rs is also double of the basic 911 price, but it is so much more, and so different than basic 911, the 430 is not very far from the latest 350 in comparison ..

47 minutes ago, alias23 said:

As many have said all comes down to what you value... also how you will use the car.

If you want a track car id argue actually the 430 is not a good choice and would suggest you look at upgrading an original v6 or 350.

No doubt any test drive of a 430 will wow but my suggest is go test drive or take a pax lap in a KT460 and then try and justify the price difference!!!

I’m not sure there is a great price difference if you can buy a 430 Cup for low £90,000’s. 

You get a 2 year warranty but if you spec a newish 350 and put a  Komotec 460 on, as stated before, you will be at £90k.

I fully understand speccing up an older out of warranty car but to get to a Cup 430 spec and performance it’s still going to cost whereas the Cup is track ready.

The upshot is if you want a newer car with 410/430 performance, handling and spec you are hard pushed to do it the Komotec way and then if you do, you completely invalidate your warranty ( no offence to the 460 guys but the numbers don’t really stack up )

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tex said:

if you can buy a 430 Cup for low £90,000’s. 

Isn't that for a demo (i.e. used) car? 🙄

And with the exhaust that makes a Cup car unusable on almost all the trackdays in the UK? 🤪

Edited by vd9

4 minutes ago, vd9 said:

Isn't that for a demo (i.e. used) car? 🙄

I’m not sure it was a demo with such low mileage but either way it will have a 2 yr warranty and be track ready with Lotus’s blessing , allegedly!!!

The Exhaust is an issue although no one seems to have posted any outcome on track use yet 

Edited by Tex

Exige 350 £50K

Nitrons, Fitting, Geo £3.8K

460 Kit £10.2K

Brakes £2K

Circa £66K in total for a track weapon. I wouldn't price the 'carbon' under Lotus carbon rip off prices to be honest.

That said thats a second hand car. So then we get into second hand vs new prices lol all a good debate ;)

• Like 1

www.alias23.com