free hit
counters
My Esprit S1 import finally arrives! - Page 12 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content


Recommended Posts


Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are in Tier 3, so took my own shopping trolley to the supermarket today!

Been very busy this last month trying to finalise everything before her first car show. However everything has come together and we had a brilliant time at Lytham Green car show this afternoon. (see s

Well, its been a long wait since I sold my S2 to fund the purchase, (Feb/March) but my S1has finally arrived from the States. A bit rough looking paint wise and although a lot has been spent on it by

Posted Images

I wonder why the US cars had two switches for the door light?

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fridge said:

SHAG PILE.

Funky.

Not my first choice I must say! It will be changed at some point. 

9 minutes ago, Paul Coleman said:

I wonder why the US cars had two switches for the door light?

I have wondered that myself. I must try and see the colours of the wires and follow the wiring diagram. I thought at first that 1 had stopped working and instead of fixing the fault a PO had just installed another one. But as you say, I have seen a few pictures with 2 switches in the door. Further investigation is required.! Unless someone on here knows???

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks the same type of carpet as in my 82 Turbo Esprit as well.

I like the seats, not seen this sort of cloth seats in an S1 before.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/07/2020 at 16:29, ChrisJ said:

Looks the same type of carpet as in my 82 Turbo Esprit as well.

I like the seats, not seen this sort of cloth seats in an S1 before.

The early Turbo’s had the long pile carpet Too. As Steve at SJ Sportscars says, keep it original if you can as you can’t get it anymore.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I havent posted anything on here since July, so here's an update. 

Car is running well and sounds really strong. Lots of positive comments and thumbs up.

However I have a horrendous oil leak, that I just cannot track down. Driving sedately around town and short non motorway journeys seems fine.

However as soon as you put your foot down and travel at a constant 70 or above,( for even short distances) afterwards, underneath at the rear, it looks Iike I have gone through a oil puddle!

I have K & N filters on the carbs that came with the car so there is no pipework from the top of the cam cover, exactly like on my Eclat (that also has the same K & N chrome filters). On the Eclat the breather pipe just vents to atmosphere under the car which of course isnt very good for the environment although it does the job.

To overcome this I have fitted an oil catch can to the Esprit, but it makes no difference. NO oil is coming out of the catch can.

I have also temporarily fitted a pipe from the catch can to a plastic bottle to see if any oil is coming out. Nothing!

Oil mist appears all over the rear of the car - rear bumper, brakes, springs, valance, exhaust etc. its a real mess. It has even sprayed upwards to coat the inside of the rear window!

I just cannot find where it is coming from.

I have cleaned the underneath of the car twice which took ages as you can imagine, to see if I can track the leak down. But just got a big zero. Very frustrating. Any ideas??

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Lez,

Good to hear news on the car, if not altogether happy. I'm afraid you may have an issue with the condition of cylinder liners and/or piston rings here. A good mate who'd built up his 907 having failed to spot the aftermarket piston sets provided by the most respected specialist in western U.S. had been supplied with wrong oil control rings, resulting in rather much the same outcome as you have described. Accordingly, it was going through oil at a prodigious rate. Hope this does not turn out to be the case here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s hope not Steve as that would be horrendous news, Lez how is your oil cooler as mine was covered in oil when it arrived and I have found a split in the oil cooler, I’m hoping that’s the main issue so renewing that and the hoses along with any other gaskets and seals which appear suspect. My oil cooler adaptor seal behind the oil filter was also totally flat and had been misting.

Good luck and hope it’s something simple.

I had an oil mist inside my cabin which was the oil pressure pipe where the gasket to the gauge had failed, you wouldn’t believe the residue it left on everything and it’s taken ages to clean everything, I had to use engine degreaser on the glass as windowlene just smeared it.

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drdoom said:

Hi Lez,

Good to hear news on the car, if not altogether happy. I'm afraid you may have an issue with the condition of cylinder liners and/or piston rings here. A good mate who'd built up his 907 having failed to spot the aftermarket piston sets provided by the most respected specialist in western U.S. had been supplied with wrong oil control rings, resulting in rather much the same outcome as you have described. Accordingly, it was going through oil at a prodigious rate. Hope this does not turn out to be the case here.

Hi Steve, Thanks for the kind words. (and the scary ones!)Fingers crossed its something simple.

1 hour ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Let’s hope not Steve as that would be horrendous news, Lez how is your oil cooler as mine was covered in oil when it arrived and I have found a split in the oil cooler, I’m hoping that’s the main issue so renewing that and the hoses along with any other gaskets and seals which appear suspect. My oil cooler adaptor seal behind the oil filter was also totally flat and had been misting.

Good luck and hope it’s something simple.

I had an oil mist inside my cabin which was the oil pressure pipe where the gasket to the gauge had failed, you wouldn’t believe the residue it left on everything and it’s taken ages to clean everything, I had to use engine degreaser on the glass as windowlene just smeared it.

Dave :) 

Hi Dave, My oil cooler, adapter seal etc are brand new along with the hoses. Oil pressure pipe seems ok. I'll just have to keep checking and hope that I catch the culprit responsible!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.


×
×
  • Create New...