free hit
counters
My Esprit S1 import finally arrives! - Page 13 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

My Esprit S1 import finally arrives!

You need to upgrade the cooling. I documented what I did on my restoration thread. Inexpensive. Triple cored radiator (£300), 3x 7" fans, relays, wiring and fusebox (~£300 or so).

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@Fridge that's exactly what Im doing!

After limping home in the Esprit, I put it in the garage to cool down overnight. The next morning there was coolant all over the garage floor.

Further investigation revealed one corroded radiator pipe and a heater pipe with 2 pin holes in it.

• Like 2

So, I've ordered 2 new radiator pipes, 2 new heater pipes plus the 2 small pipes at the front. Also a new set of grommets.

Seeing as I have to remove the front spoiler, radiator and fans to remove and refit the new pipes, this is an ideal opportunity to replace the butchered spoiler that is on, the radiator that is tied on with cable ties (very embarrassing!) and the original airy fairy fans. 

front spoilers.JPG

radiators.JPG

original fans.JPG

I had already acquired a front spoiler from SJ when I imported the car, purchased a reconditioned radiator some time ago and have now ordered some nice new fans from Lotusbits , a la @Fridge.

Having read up on replacing the pipes and seeing as everyone says its a pig to get the 'flanges' at the ends of the pipes past the grommets, has anyone got a sure fired method of doing it? Or any tips? Cheers.

As a 'by the way', - the radiator that was with the car( that ive just removed)and was inclined through the butchered spoiler, is in fact a correct S1 radiator, its just minus the frame. So I will keep it as a spare.

Interested myself in what has been found on passing the beaded tubes through grommets. One can purchase a beading tool for modest cost, useful as long as tube is in soft temper and wall is of light gauge.

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/topages/ezbeader.php

Well perhaps not so inexpensive.

Not sure what pipes you mean, the aluminium ones?

If so, with care. Lubing the grommet inner circumference with washing-up liquid may help.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

Phoned up and they sent the correct ones the day after. 

Had a go at fitting them over the weekend and with help from Marie managed to get the heater pipes fitted. Using washing up liquid on the grommets certainly helped. Thanks @Fridge

Unfortunately  when starting to fit the radiator pipes found that the large grommets were the wrong size.

Phoned up Lotusbits again and they have promised to send the correct ones with the upgraded fans I have ordered.

Lets hope everything now goes according to plan.🤞

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've put new foam on the top of the radiator so nearly ready to refit everything.

There seems to be a channel for more foam to be fitted on the bottom of the radiator. Is this correct? I would have though that if so, its a prime contender for water to soak through and rust the radiator frame. Also there seems to be a small gap between the frame and the bottom of the valance, so not a lot of room for foam. Besides, the pre-drill holes in the valance to hold the frame in place doesn't lend itself to positioning it any different. Is this correct? My bodged radiator didn't have any . Cheers.

IMG_5001.JPG

• Gold FFM

I think I would like to compete on the beat my bodge thread as well... although sadly no flip flops found yet!

• Like 1