free hit
counters
Elite lower link bush saga - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Elite lower link bush saga

Some of you may be aware of the total s***fest that putting the rear suspension back on my Elite has become.

I originally bought SJ replacement 'original' metalastic rubber bushes for the rear lower links but after virtually ruining the first one trying to install it :angry: I opted to try poly bushes from SJs.

I have replaced the lower threaded studs that go through the hub carriers and after 5 bushes which all failed to fit (not even close) I gave up and contacted SJs.

To be fair, SJs have now been supplied me (FOC) with the ONLY bush out of their entire stock that is the right size - apparently they have had previous issues with their supplier sending the wrong size and had thought it was sorted.

I can't believe I'm the only person to have had a problem?

Anyway, the new bush fits a treat but I now have to await supplies of the new stock as I still need a further bush for the passenger side.

I have to admit, this issue which has been dragging on for months has really made me fall out of love with the project at the moment!! I have to remember that most of this is not down to the car and she still makes me smile when I go into the garage.

However, fear not, I have taken a slight diversion into an additional vehicle (non Lotus :sofa:) which has cheered my up (it drives and is road legal :thumbup:) so normal service will be resumed asap.

Just posting this as a warning to make sure that if ordering lower link bushes from SJs - ask them to ENSURE that the bushes fit the studs before dispatch.

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont loose heart in it! Maybe switch to another job to keep your interest and motivation up while waiting. Motivation always gets tested somewhere in the middle of these projects as it seems like a never ending list of jobs that seem harder than they should be and you can't just pop down the shops to get what you need these days!

I have a lot of odd jobs that need doing where I have been featured in finishing off properly but will need doing at some point... Do you know how difficult it is to buy a brake master cylinder check valve with a 90deg output?

Keep at it and don't let another car turn you head!

Edited by mikeeech

Cheers Mike - I appreciate that, especially after what you've been through (and still are!)

The latest vehicle is just an itch I've wanted to scratch for ages and it has restored my faith that you can run a 20+ year old car as a bit of fun.

It's (for now at least) put a smile back on my face. As soon as the P/S bush appears I will get the rear end sorted ASAP. I am happy to wait at the moment as loads else on and I really want to get the car back on all 4 wheels before moving on to something else.

Have a good weekend

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

My car has been sitting up on blocks for a while now. I did the belts and a fair few other things to get it ready to sell and then when I was driving, a symptom occurred which we hae linked back to front end arm bushes. Up went the car, off cam the wheels and various other bits. Took a while to get it all apart, bushes changed over and hopefully get it back together soon to put on the market.

I don't have the same sort of timeframe as yourself and you re working on yours to keep and enjoy.

Stick with it. it will be worth it.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Sorry to hear about your suspension woes. I had similar issues (albeit several months ago now and pre-TLF) with rear trailing arm poly bush sleeves (too narrow) as well as a on the front lower wishbones bush sleeves (too long). As you say, best to check when ordering from your chosen supplier and be clear when ordering that the bushes a) have been checked and do fit and b) will fit without the assumption of a degree of user alteration. Am enjoying the car now so good luck with getting your suspension sorted as it will be worthwhile.