free hit
counters
Tree Sap - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Where I live have a couple of trees that sit either side of driveway about 10 feet away from my parked driveway 

in the summer the trees shed this sticky sap which covers the cars, paths and driveway.

I wash the car in morning by late afternoon the car covered in the sap which hardens especially in the recent hot spell 

the windows get covered making visabilty hazy which means I have to clear them much like winter time frosts!

council won’t touch them as they not diseased etc ! 

I wash the car every week but sometimes due to work etc not possible , thought of putting winter cover back on ? 

Any suggestions ? Is there a car shampoo that has protective qualities ? I use auto glym or maguiers ?  

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.thelotusforums.com/shop/home/223-lotus-outdoor-car-cover.html 👍

You might want to consider a ceramic coating such as Gtechniq.  This will give a more robust barrier on top of the paintwork than a wax or sealer.  It's also more slippery so sap shouldn't bind as muc

You could always move to Hedge End. 🙃

Posted Images

Some shampoos have a quality of been able to stop things sticking as much, but you would still have to wash the car again.

I think your only solution sadly  would be a lightweight car cover or sunport or what ever you call them. 

Or park it somewhere else which will probably have an adverse affect on your car insurance also !

A

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Have a look at www.cleanyourcar.co.uk - its a favourite website of mine!  I've found carlack products to be very good for protecting and cleaning paintwork and you can wax on top of those.  The carlack shampoo is very mild so doesn't take off wax, as you wash your car frequently it should do just the job.

On the wax front, I've found the bilt-hamber range to be excellent - as good as its finish is for me, whats best about it is how easy they are to use, and can go over pretty much any material, including rubber without smearing or leaving a residue.  The first thing you'd need to do is probably clay the surface to get rid of all contaminants and then seal / protect from there.  I use BH's soft clay and again so easy to use - only water needed as a lubricant.

Ultimately stopping the sap hitting your car is the best solution, so a light weight car cover or alternatively would a carport be viable?

image.png.74466343c4cd02edd684ba70f5609a20.png

You might want to consider a ceramic coating such as Gtechniq.  This will give a more robust barrier on top of the paintwork than a wax or sealer.  It's also more slippery so sap shouldn't bind as much.  It also won't come off when you shampoo it, whereas a wax eventually will after a few washes.  There are versions for windows, wheels and vinyl as well as paintwork.  Possible to do it yourself if you're careful and prepare well, or use a good car detailer.

My wife's black Audi was ceramic coated and it's been so easy to wash, normal dirt hardly sticks and you can often get away with a rinse from a hose and let it air dry.  The coating lasts about 2-3 years.

• Like 1

Cheers Tom

interested in looking at this any idea of the cost ? Is there a local dealer I don’t think I could attempt it myself ?

otherwise only alternate is too use the cover but it seems a shame to cover the car not only during the winter but also the summer ?

1 hour ago, Cdm2018 said:

Cheers Tom

interested in looking at this any idea of the cost ? Is there a local dealer I don’t think I could attempt it myself ?

otherwise only alternate is too use the cover but it seems a shame to cover the car not only during the winter but also the summer ?

Whereabouts are you?  I used Auto Curators who are based near Hook/Basingstoke but will travel.  Their "enhancement detail" includes a full paint clean, machine polish then coating plus wheels, interior etc which takes a whole day.  Cost is £595.  They've done a lot of Lotuses so know their way round plastic cars and low temp paints.  You'll probably find someone similar near you.

https://autocurators.com/services/enhancement-detail/

https://autocurators.com/services/products/

https://autocurators.com/lotus-exige-lf1-new-car-detail/

IMG_6173_1-1000x667.jpg.c158ab878a016133d02a5423865d933d.jpg

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

I very much doubt it although my partner would as she originally from that part of the uk ! 🙄

anyway down there probably have flocks of seagulls causing havoc on the paintwork ?

Seagull poo is like acid in a bucket dropped on your paintwork  !

A

54 minutes ago, TomE said:

Whereabouts are you?  I used Auto Curators who are based near Hook/Basingstoke but will travel.  Their "enhancement detail" includes a full paint clean, machine polish then coating plus wheels, interior etc which takes a whole day.  Cost is £595.  They've done a lot of Lotuses so know their way round plastic cars and low temp paints.  You'll probably find someone similar near you.

https://autocurators.com/services/enhancement-detail/

https://autocurators.com/services/products/

https://autocurators.com/lotus-exige-lf1-new-car-detail/

IMG_6173_1-1000x667.jpg.c158ab878a016133d02a5423865d933d.jpg

Tom

i am in Leicestershire so wonder if your recommendion can travel and not increase the charge ? 

Have a chat to them, they'd probably need to travel up the night before in order to have a whole day to do the work and hence there's likely to be some mileage and accommodation involved.  They may know people locally to you, detailing is one of those fields where people know each other through the cars they detail, trade shows, car shows, product provider training & demos etc. 

Reep Midlands in Leicester are coming up on a quick search as a Gtechniq approved detailer with decent reviews, but I'd recommend asking around rather than just relying on internet reviews and what the detailers choose to publish.  The founder of Auto Curators used to be very active on another Lotus forum, for example, and ran detailing demos to show people how to do the basics and training sessions on machine polishing for our cars with their plastic panels and low temp paint.  That tells you a lot about their approach.

https://www.reepmidlands.com/

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

I very much doubt it although my partner would as she originally from that part of the uk ! 🙄

anyway down there probably have flocks of seagulls causing havoc on the paintwork ?

I grew up in Hedge End!! Changed a lot and still changing but it’s a nice place 😊

plus it has a Lotus Dealer of course!!

I forgot about Ceramic coating - much much more durable than wax of course so Good call!!

stunning picture of the Exige above btw!

• Like 1
On 22/06/2018 at 13:33, Techyd said:

Have a look at www.cleanyourcar.co.uk - its a favourite website of mine!  I've found carlack products to be very good for protecting and cleaning paintwork and you can wax on top of those.  The carlack shampoo is very mild so doesn't take off wax, as you wash your car frequently it should do just the job.

On the wax front, I've found the bilt-hamber range to be excellent - as good as its finish is for me, whats best about it is how easy they are to use, and can go over pretty much any material, including rubber without smearing or leaving a residue.  The first thing you'd need to do is probably clay the surface to get rid of all contaminants and then seal / protect from there.  I use BH's soft clay and again so easy to use - only water needed as a lubricant.

Ultimately stopping the sap hitting your car is the best solution, so a light weight car cover or alternatively would a carport be viable?

image.png.74466343c4cd02edd684ba70f5609a20.png

Had a chat with cleanyourcar chap and he couldn’t advise on any special product that minimises tree sap bonding to paint of a car ☹️

All recommended was a cover maybe ceramic coating a good way to protect car paint given amount of washing required to remove tree sap and make it easier to wash off ? 

So will investigate ceramic coat dealers not going to attempt DIY job best leave it pros !