free hit
counters
Help advise needed ...rover v8 esprit - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Help advise needed ...rover v8 esprit

cbclotus

Hi all .well not got off to a great start since my car has been moted .Fist problem temperature sender stopped working .ok buy another one from local  stockist for rover v8 on. Carbs .to big .ok orde reared another from merl in motor sport for a smiths gauge .wrong thread  we think the engine might of  used a strange thread.so mate made up a adaptor from engine to take the new sender from merl in .think it's reading high .after using a digital gun on it .So I have bought a kit from car builders solution .that uses a probe that can be fitted to a coolant pipe to show temperature ..It will also operate fans .ok .secound bit of advice needed .had a new fan shroud made to take my new spal fans .thhe lotus shroud uses the fiesta fans that must allow air to go through .not sure if mine allow the same amount of air flow through the rad .will speak to the place where they came from ....just interested in your coolective wisdom ....3 fans fitted .do I need to add holes to shroud ....don't know .ZAny help would be good as I seem to be stuck lol.....Mike

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Don’t bother with any shroud.

it restricts air flow all the time. When it’s hot enough for the fans to come on it’s a wee bit late. The fans will cool it -shroud or not 

Only here once

Agree with Barry, Bin the shroud and use the ties provided with the fans to stick them straight to the radiator. 

The ties have foam little round pads to stop any vibration from where the fan and rad stick together. 

You can add a small fan to the oil cooler using the same fan switch to trigger it. So that kicks in, in traffic also.

Also are you running your car with the engine bay lid on ?  I would remote this to let out as much heat as possible also. 

A

Barry .Dan .Thanks for your replies .to remove shroud rad will need to come out .bummer .Still have the lotus shroud .i am using 3 span 9 inch fans ..so do you think there is not enough air flow  and my shroud is restictive.were as the lotus one lets more air through with the 4 bladed ford fans ..Thanks again .....Mike

Sorry Dan .the cover has been cut in half .But not on at the moment ....Mike

• Gold FFM

As long as you have fans on the car - don’t worry about the shroud.

the plastic is brittle - you can break it off without removing from the car. 

Only here once

I would not bother with the shroud Mike,  They cool very well without them.  And yes your alloy one could be restricting it in some form or other.

Cut it with tin snips in situ, you will not need to remove the rad then lol.

A

Thought about cutting  .But not sure how I would fit fans with rad bolted up in car .....Why did lotus use a cowl for the ford fans .Maybe just something to fix the fans to .i suppose all these things are built to a cost to help profit ...And of course might of be ok when new .Thanks for all your replies  Mike

You may be able to put the tie wraps through the radiator with the rad in still in place, worth a shot to save dropping the coolant and rad. 

The fan cowling was fitted at the factory as the Ford fans fitted at the time were made so fat due the size of the  motor the had to be kept back from the radio.  The same as any fan of that era.

It is only with today's tech I. E the slimline fans that we are able to stick them direct to the rad due to their low profile design and low weight. 

We have the technology lol.

A

Hi Mike. Sounds like the project must be pretty near done now if your down to reducing temperatures.

Hi John .car moted .had problems with temperature sender .need a bigger battery .carbs need setting up I think .gearbox oil to be changed .rad cowl to sort the list goes on .Hope you are well .Mike

• Gold FFM

Mike, if you still have the old sender, there could be a (Rover) part nr on it, will make it easy to find a replacement.

I agree with the others, the shroud isn't needed and if not properly designed could restrict airflow. My red SE didn't have a shroud, just 2 big Range Rover fans and never had problems getting rid of the heat. The silver SE I got from you still has the original setup, and even with one fan not working it stays as cool as need be even in heavy traffic on a hot day like today.

Hang in there, just a few more niggles to sort!

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

Hi Mike, sounds like you're getting there, keep up the good work, these annoying little obstacles are just that and all the more satisfying when you get past them.

I'm a shroud fan...not literally, but I do think it serves a purpose, with your upgraded fan setup cooling will be ample, but with a radiator at such an acute angle you should consider the protection the shroud gives to the underside from stones rattling around in that area. 

Thanks ....Steve .As I said mate made a new fan shroud out ot alloy sheet .but the ford fans might let more air flow through rad .but I have not put the cover fibreglass tray back below rad yet ....Mike

1 hour ago, cbclotus said:

Thanks ....Steve .As I said mate made a new fan shroud out ot alloy sheet .but the ford fans might let more air flow through rad .but I have not put the cover fibreglass tray back below rad yet ....Mike

Get rid of the shroud Mike, but not fitting the fiberglass undertray could possibly make a massive difference.  

Can't picture off memory what the G turbo arrangement looks like, but air will always take the easiest route the same as water, so your airflow from the front will be greatly reduced as a high percentage will flow straight under the rad and not all directed through it, greatly reducing the heat dicipating affect of the radiator .

if I remember the set up rightly. ?

A

Some simple thoughts to offer on the topic, informed by a successful campaign optimizing the performance of the cooling on a tuned '64 Elan S1. Focus first on whether there are any fundamental flaws in the kit, as currently used. Air in the system?  Thermostat and pressure cap operating as they should? Fans are subordinate to the core of it all, cooling should up to task without them because the heat rejection is greatest when power output is greatest. Autocrossing, for example, is a situation where the fans would rightly be expected to be called upon, top speed runs on track not so much though each is a case of high heat rejection.

Shrouding is of serious merit when employed to duct air where flow would be most effective. One wants the flow in through the nose aperture to be channeled through the rad, not be able to bypass via leakage around the periphery. Also thought should be to flow outward aft of the rad as there will be no flow inward greater than that which is possible outbound. With a motor in proper tune the rate of heat rejection in slow traffic should not be all that remarkable, shouldn't require massive fans to keep that under control, no?

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Bummer,  At least it ended up in excellent condiion for the next owner ! Nice job on the recondiion work though.

Think he sold it to some bloke who’s been too lazy to fit it 🎣

• Haha 1

Only here once