free hit
counters
Blip question - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Blip question

I had again an annoying experience trying to heel and toe last week end, thing is I can jump in the others cars and do it directly, Can not do in the Lotus, sometime ok, sometime no rev, sometime goes crazy .. I mean I do not want to start a discussion again about this, I was wondering, obviously this is electronically driven, so there is maybe a way to disable it from the Ecu ?? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I find H&T very easy in my Evora without any pedal adjustments/mods I have had to make in some previous cars.

Mate with Exige V6 uses this technique extensively also and has never commented negatively. I have been in the car with him over a challenging road and it was working well.

I do find i have to modify my technique for every car - with the evora it is quite a short, measured "stabbing" technique as opposed to covering the pedal more gently for a longer time (?).

@MARTIN_SWasn't this a bug bear of yours?

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I am sorry but no, it is not a matter of technique here, I H&T my Megane cup easily (soft or hard drive), I H&T the catheram easily, I H&T my GF / brother / friends car easily also, I make mistake in term of timing or pressure applied (from time to time of course, not a driving god, but you know why you missed it when it happens), but when you push the pedal to 10% and once it gives you 1500 rpm, and then next time it gives you 75%, there is a problem. 

Because it is software thing, I am surprised no one found a way yet ? 

(By the way I know the system is less annoying on track as you push the brakes harder, and need higher rpm at the time, but still not perfect, and the fact you can not do it (yes you can, but if you fail 3 on 10 times, that already too much) on a spiritual drive to me is a mistake like the 380 exhaust not able to get on track, it should not be one or the other, should work in both case. )

My blip is consistent other than when the anti  two pedal press mode sometimes kicks in and it cuts the revs. ( Not sure of correct term). I have not worked out what I am doing differently, is rate of deceleration monitored by the ECU?  My car is a 2018 so would imagine it has the latest software.

A friend of mine was complaining about this.  He's a half decent driver and can heel & toe in his other cars, but not in his Exige. He was adamant that the ECU wouldn't let him.

I got in his car and within a few minutes could heel & toe. Not perfectly every time, but good enough to prove it can be done.   I've got to say, the 460 kit makes heel & toe a lot easier.   For the people saying it doesn't work in touring mode, this isn't true, I could also do it in touring mode in his standard car.

I'll happily admit that it's far from ideal, but it is up to a driver to learn the car to manage it as it is possible.

I tell you what I heard of what it could be:

1) You should do a test with a tester and see what kind of error you are reporting ... it could be something that has to do with "brake light" (difficult to explain using the translator) ...
It is possible that the brake pedal is too sensitive and that at some moments it is read by the sensor as if you are holding back your left foot at the same time as the gas with your right foot ...
It needs to be adjusted better and diminish that sensitivity.

2) it could also be the potentiometer of gas ... Maybe to change ...

However with a tester you will definitely have an answer ...

I am not saying it is impossible, it is not constant, so from there it is pointless, every single downshift you have to ask yourself if it is going to fail or not. I am not Ayrton senna but I am not complete garbage, now if all I need to do is close the eyes on an obvious flow, and pretend it is ok and only some heroes who cracked the code can do it, okay. I drive 5 sports cars often back to back, only the Exige is a problem, must be me ! And when I can h&t 100% of the downshift on  a 3k pounds car, but can't on a 40k pounds car, don't really want to "to learn to manage" .. 

Back to my question, there is an auto blip system you can fit on the V6, so I am surprise there is not an easy fix to this .. 

Nano, indeed this sounds right, should try to get someone from Lotus to have a look.

Edited by chumaxa

7 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Autoblip in a Lotus? 🤦‍♂️

I think we have been here before.

The auto blipper could be useful on track when really pressing on, if it saves wear and stress on gearbox. You can always turn it off and try to master the heel and toe.

Chumaxa, I agree totally with your 3 in 10 times it wont blip, meaning you have to change your driving style (and not for the better) and I bought this up when I first got my car.

However, most seemed to not have or, understand the problem. This may well be due to the fact that some don't have a problem with this at all, so it does make sense as suggested, that it is perhaps due to a cars sensitivity set up on the brake pedal, effecting the dreaded ' anti  two pedal press mode' .

Has anyone more details on what to test to how to reduce this?

Martin S

ok so this is my 2 cents on it.

I've only been heel and toeing since the start of the year when i got my cup but I do it daily on every stop light or anytime I am slowing down. in the beginning, i used to have an issue with the blip since it wouldn't go through and required a double blip sometimes to get the revs up.

But, as I got more comfortable heel and toeing I've noticed I no longer have an issue with a blip not going through. The only thing that has changed is me, I blip a lot quicker than I used to and the amount of blip is more consistent where before I used to blip slower and press harder on the pedal. 

So I think its more a driver issue than it is a problem with the car? Maybe its easier on other cars I'm not sure since i've never done it on another car, but it seems to be working fine on my car now that i've gotten better at it.

Am I the only one that thinks the early manual 380 model used to auto-blip? I get this thinking from the Seb Delaney videos like this.....Exige from 12.20 onward

5 hours ago, mark248am said:

ok so this is my 2 cents on it.

I've only been heel and toeing since the start of the year when i got my cup but I do it daily on every stop light or anytime I am slowing down. in the beginning, i used to have an issue with the blip since it wouldn't go through and required a double blip sometimes to get the revs up.

But, as I got more comfortable heel and toeing I've noticed I no longer have an issue with a blip not going through. The only thing that has changed is me, I blip a lot quicker than I used to and the amount of blip is more consistent where before I used to blip slower and press harder on the pedal. 

So I think its more a driver issue than it is a problem with the car? Maybe its easier on other cars I'm not sure since i've never done it on another car, but it seems to be working fine on my car now that i've gotten better at it.

After all you read here you still make that statement ? Because it works on your car and you think you practice more than others, then it is a human issue ? Good that it works on your car, specially because your car is a 380 also, pretty sure it is different between generations .. No H&T problem in : clio 172 / clio 182 / clio 197 / megane 225 / mazda mx5 mk3 / megane 250 / Lotus exige 192 / Exige 260 / Vx220 / Caterham, then suddenly I am not able to understand how works the S3 (which I have had for 2 years now) ? I play a lot of sim racing as well (no crap like forza of course), and that for years, so I kind of knew how to do it before having interesting cars. Good for you if you improve, but there is no improvement scale here as the behavior is not constant. Like if you try to do a painting, you start with a brush and somehow you get a wok for 20 seconds instead ..  

I am not upset sorry, I appear to be rude ! Just it is a bit irritating to read that it is your fault when you try again and again, and clearly the product is at fault, and I am not the only one. To not get any credit because we are not  pro LMP1 drivers .. 

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 22:19, Bravo73 said:

Autoblip in a Lotus? 🤦‍♂️

S**t, thought I was the reincarnation of Ayrton Senna and now you tell me some algorithm is in control - please tell me this is NOT available on Cup 360's