free hit
counters
Is it possible to add air con to a Dry Sump Turbo?? - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
spease1984

Is it possible to add air con to a Dry Sump Turbo??

Dry sump should be a lot easier than others to fit A/C to. Last time I was at Lotusbits (which was a long time ago admittedly) they had the brackets from the Essex which caught fire.
the compressor on the dry sump was fitted where the sump would be, the bracket bolts to the bottom LH side of the engine. 
On the wet sump, until they harmonised all the parts from A/C to non A/C there are substantial differences in the layout of the engine auxiliaries.

Fitting A/C to a non-A/C car which is LC (not HC) and is wet sump requires the following:

Compressor bracket X 2 
Tensioner assembly.
Several alloy water pipes to re-route the coolant rad by-pass
New auxiliary housing
New alternator
New alternator mounting and adjuster strap.
New alternator support bracket (none in the world)
Compressor (generic)
Condenser (generic)
Evaporator
Receiver dryer (generic)
All hoses custom made
Several flare hose fittings which are only available in the USA
Control module
Fascia plate
Crank pulley with 3 grooves

Fitting involves dismantling entire front of the car, fascia out, rad tray, LH sill all have to come out.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
2 hours ago, spease1984 said:

Thank you everyone for your comprehensive replies. 

I'd like to go original but then that will make a significant dent in to the 'recommissioning budget' I have for the car. 

However if all original A/C parts are available, or as close to original as possible then it may well be worth making this more of a long term project. 

I really  like the look of the Car Builder Solution's kit and I'm sure I could get that to work. But would this hurt the value of the car?? Do I care?? Would I sell it??? 

My third option is to recommission the car with a view to selling it for another one with air conditioning, but the chances of finding another Dry Sump let alone with air conditioning and very slim. 

It doesn't have to be a Dry Sump but they seem to get the most love and those Compomotive wheels are just the bees doo-dahss.

Regarding hurting the value of the car, don't think it will, I deal with very high end cars and ones such as DB5's are having fuel injection, A/C fitted etc to modernise them and make them more comfortable. As long as its done correctly it will be ok.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Steve, Chris made some good points above, and if originality is required, then it’s much more difficult to achieve what you want on a reasonable budget. That’s a question only you can answer. The dry sump cars are presumably rare (anyone know how many were produced?) and you could affect the car’s value if you fit something that alters it’s appearance, as desirable as air-con may be.

Neil, it may be that the 4 CBS unit outlets are on a single ABS moulding, and just screwed, or clipped, to the front. I did a lot of legwork investigating demisting and heating for my Cobra, bought one of their heaters, and the outlets were secured like that. What I’m saying is you don’t have to stick with that configuration if it doesn’t suit.

Margate Exotics.

Good to know Ian. Certainly from the parts diagram it looks like the Original unit has 8 outlets of different sizes to service the various vents. Maybe adding some outlets or splitting some could work.

Given that the are plenty of other fish waiting to be fried before I get to aircon on my car it might be a while until I get into this properly but I might be tempted to remove the cover in the front over the weekend to see what's there space wise. This is definitely something I want to do while it's in bits. If I can manage some kind of stealth install at reasonable cost that'll be a right result.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

19 minutes ago, eeyoreish said:

Good to know Ian. Certainly from the parts diagram it looks like the Original unit has 8 outlets of different sizes to service the various vents. Maybe adding some outlets or splitting some could work.

Given that the are plenty of other fish waiting to be fried before I get to aircon on my car it might be a while until I get into this properly but I might be tempted to remove the cover in the front over the weekend to see what's there space wise. This is definitely something I want to do while it's in bits. If I can manage some kind of stealth install at reasonable cost that'll be a right result.

Stealth install is the way to go in my view. Before you know it you’ll be offering up complete air-con conversions to sweaty Esprit owners.

Margate Exotics.

There is no point in considering a third-party system for an Esprit because the difficult part is mounting the compressor and installing the plumbing. Any third-party system will need those steps.

All Esprits have heater units which are designed to accept an evaporator. The A/C and non-A/C heater units are identical so third-party is absolutely not the way to go.

6 hours ago, Andyww said:

Maybe, but you could make a credible copy in around 15 mins from a triangular piece of mild steel....

Hmm. Not sure what I expected but this is what's behind the cover under the front bonnet. 

Mostly dust, some sorry looking vac hose and an access hole covered with gaffer tape. Nice.

image2.jpeg.e0b872506f890a52db6b543bf2d220a8.jpeg

image1.jpeg.0e83be747edbeed19bdf3083aee699c9.jpeg

The recirc/fresh air flap apparatus is out of commission, likely related to why the access hole was taped over. The smaller flap plate is meant to have an integral square section pivot rod along one edge which affords actuation by the vacuum motor on the bracket between it and the longer flap plate controlling flow through the two fresh air inlets. The square section permits the two plates to be clocked 90 degrees apart so that when one is closed the other is open. Looks like the smaller, recirc flap is not the correct item at all, rather it's a simple piece of sheet lacking the pivot axle hence the two screws pinning it closed. FWIW. 

Thanks, that's cheered me up no end ☹️

Interesting to note though. Something else for my 'to fix' list...

It actually looks OK to me. 

The flap that is screwed down on the left is only required for air-con cars. The freash air flap (shown open on your picture) id operated by the vacuum actuator seen to the left of it. 

I also think that the gaffer tape is a factory fit :) 

It's getting there......

Good point, Tim, I am thinking from the perspective lent through work on my OEM a/c equipped car. So then the heater only cars can block the fresh air flow without going to recirculated?

Picture is all normal for a non-A/C car including the blanking plate and yes, the tank tape!

On 29/06/2018 at 16:38, Andyww said:

There's one on Ebay right now for not a lot of money if anyone is collecting parts....

6 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

There's one on Ebay right now for not a lot of money if anyone is collecting parts....

Unfortunately thats the later HC one. The early Turbo with A/C is unique to that version because they have the remote thermostats so the water pump housing mounting is in a different place.

On 08/07/2018 at 08:44, eeyoreish said:

This is better news. Just the retrofit aircon to worry about now 😐

Hi Steve,

for the dry sump register, it would be great to have the serial number of this car and build date. Did you proceed with it and if not do you know what happened to it?

any info would be great 

lex