free hit
counters
esprit s1 seat belts - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

My Esprit S1 has arrived with no seat belts. I'm presuming they are a standard 1970's part. However Im concerned regarding where they go. Does anyone know what car they come off and can anyone send me a photo of them in the engine bay in situ? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Paul, After much deliberation, I have decided to get a new set instead of second hand. Best to be safe. Thank anyway for the offer. 

Posted Images

On 26/06/2018 at 22:07, williamtherebel said:

My Esprit S1 has arrived with no seat belts. I'm presuming they are a standard 1970's part. However Im concerned regarding where they go. Does anyone know what car they come off and can anyone send me a photo of them in the engine bay in situ? 

They bolt to the metal panel inside the engine bay just under the glass window in the firewall. I have a set of belts that might do but I'm not sure what they're off?

rmjln5.jpg

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Hi Paul thanks for the offer. Obviously if they fit I'll have them! I have a spare set from my Eclat but it wont fit. I'll try and make further enquiries to see if yours are compatible.

8 hours ago, williamtherebel said:

Hi Paul thanks for the offer. Obviously if they fit I'll have them! I have a spare set from my Eclat but it wont fit. I'll try and make further enquiries to see if yours are compatible.

I think they might be from a 1970s Mini? You would have to remove the metal loops with a hole in them (easy job) as they're not used on the Esprit.

Mmm, I can't remember. I bought a whole box full. Think they might have been MGB? I got a professional company to strip them and match the original webbing, then restitch them.

8 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Mmm, I can't remember. I bought a whole box full. Think they might have been MGB? I got a professional company to strip them and match the original webbing, then restitch them.

I reckon they're Kangol Euroflex

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 08:53, Paul Coleman said:

I think they might be from a 1970s Mini? You would have to remove the metal loops with a hole in them (easy job) as they're not used on the Esprit.

Hi Paul, After much deliberation, I have decided to get a new set instead of second hand. Best to be safe. Thank anyway for the offer. 

• Like 1

I remember now what I did. I bought new seat belt reels and had the buckles, material and push in parts matched to the original. The company I use had lots of the original parts and was able to match the webbing with new and copy the stitch pattern! 

6 hours ago, williamtherebel said:

That's good because I may need the ones I've got for my current project :)

That's good. I don't like letting people down. Is there any chance you could take a photo of the seat belts in situ in the engine bay so that I can see how they are attached to the bulkhead and how far down they are? Or are they covered up? If you can't thanks anyway for your help.:thumbup:

13 hours ago, williamtherebel said:

That's good. I don't like letting people down. Is there any chance you could take a photo of the seat belts in situ in the engine bay so that I can see how they are attached to the bulkhead and how far down they are? Or are they covered up? If you can't thanks anyway for your help.:thumbup:

No I don't have access to my car as it's in storage. they have a single bolt which bolts them to the metal bar behind the seats. No doubt somebody will have a photo?

Although no photos have been forthcoming from anybody else, I can see where the threaded hole is in the engine bay. Someone has put a large sheet of aluminium in the cabin. On one side it looks like they have cut a piece out to accommodate a seat belt although in the engine bay there is no corresponding hole. On the other side there is a pencil mark where they were presumably going to cut out but didn't!  I will have to take out the aluminium sheet and see where the holes (if any) are located.

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

Here are a couple of pictures of mine prior to restoration...

144771c.jpg

5xpjyt.jpg

Edited by Paul Coleman

Many thanks Paul, I can see now where they should go. The "tabs' either side of the seat belt where the shelf sits over the fuel tanks has been hammered straight up  so I will have to unstraighten them if I want to reinstate the shelves. Another job  added to the list!

4 hours ago, williamtherebel said:

Thanks Paul, Just got them from SJ.

Oooh what's the part number?

Ah ok. I thought for a moment then Steve had found an undiscovered stash of the originals. I got all excited there for a moment hahaha

Well we can dream...……!! Im just glad to get some new ones that fit so I can get in on the road. Am going to start cutting the other 'slot' in the aluminium sheet tomorrow so there is a hole for the belt to go through. I have decided to do it in situ. The ali sheet is obviously glued to whatever is underneath. (Plywood I presume?)There must be a reason why someone has fitted the ali sheet. (Delaminated perhaps?) At the moment I just want to get the car up and running. Ive already dismantled more that I was going to. (familiar story eh!!) I want to do a rolling resto AFTER Ive had a bit of enjoyment out of it.

11 hours ago, williamtherebel said:

Well we can dream...……!! Im just glad to get some new ones that fit so I can get in on the road. Am going to start cutting the other 'slot' in the aluminium sheet tomorrow so there is a hole for the belt to go through. I have decided to do it in situ. The ali sheet is obviously glued to whatever is underneath. (Plywood I presume?)There must be a reason why someone has fitted the ali sheet. (Delaminated perhaps?) At the moment I just want to get the car up and running. Ive already dismantled more that I was going to. (familiar story eh!!) I want to do a rolling resto AFTER Ive had a bit of enjoyment out of it.

The early cars had a slab of rubber on the firewall and the later cars had the same stuff that's on the airbox, all in the name of sound deadening. Some people complain of cabin noise in the S1 with resonance at certain speeds and I know of owners who wear noise cancelling headphones on long journeys. I've never had a problem personally but I'm half deaf anyway :)

Yes Im half deaf as well! Too many rock concerts when I was younger. - Deep Purple, Pink Floyd etc  When does a early car become a late car? Ive seen on Steves website that he advertises stull "early S1's" etc So whats the cut off date?

9 minutes ago, williamtherebel said:

Yes Im half deaf as well! Too many rock concerts when I was younger. - Deep Purple, Pink Floyd etc  When does a early car become a late car? Ive seen on Steves website that he advertises stull "early S1's" etc So whats the cut off date?

There's no simple answer to that question!

Any car built and registered in 1976 is an early car - they had things like the centre ashtray, pod wing mirror, green tonneau cover, kidney shaped brake fluid reservoir, non cross drilled crank and no oil cooler. The front and rear valance was different, it had different engine mounts, the battery and coolant expansion tank were both in a different position. The most obvious difference is that they have tartan interiors with orange carpet which had changed to marcasite by early 1977.