free hit
counters
OZ Crono Magnesio on a X180 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hspeck

OZ Crono Magnesio on a X180

So my X180 came with the magnesion wheels. I am looking to replace the tyres as the original ones were from 2015 and the previous owner seldom used the car and the tyres may not in the best condition now.

The current tyres on the wheels are front 225/45/17 and rear 285/35/18. However, according to lotus esprit world, the 350 with the mag wheels were originally with tyres size front at 235/40/17 and rear 295/35/18.

As I am very new to the car, I was thinking if I should replace the tyres as per the original size on the 350, ie. front 235/40/17 and rear 295/35/18. My X180 is an NA and I am not sure if the tyre size will fit without rubbing and other issues.

Appreciate any advise.

Thank you.  

20180514_140935_resized.jpg

Front Tyre.jpg

Rear tyre.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The fitment guide from lotusespritworld will be regarding when they are fitted to the V8 350 sport esprit. 

The X180 never came with mag wheels !

The last owner would of added them. The rear tyres on the mags should be 295 off memory and not 285.

The fronts may of been fitted with 225 due to possible tyre rub if 235s had been fitied.  

The most likely case though is that the sizes fitted were the cheapest zr tyres avaible at the time to the previous owner. 

If you have no problems with the currenth tyre set up in would leave it, the only reason I myself would change the fronts would be the profile from 45 to 40 and that would only be for aesthetics. 

The difference between a 225 width and 235 compaired side to side with each other you would not even visibly notice until you looked at the numbers on the tyre wall.

Regarding the rears stick with 285 they will be cheaper and as you do not have the torque of the V8 or the 350 suspension there is little in it to bother changing imo.

3yr old tyres not a problem imo, if it had been left in same posiion for 3yrs without even moving then yes I would be worried for flat spots.  But as long as the tyres remained inflated and it has moved a few times I would not bin the boots yet ! 

just do a visual check of the sidewalls for cracking which tbh I doubt you will find given the tyre age and low profile.  Perks of a lightweight car on fat rims lol.

A

I have crono magnesio wheels on my Esprit which is an ‘88.

I’d need to check my tyre sizes for sure, but they are the standard P zero Pirelli’s, whatever size those were. Tyres must be 10 years old but they’re still good, and with loads of tread. I really should do more miles! :)

As for clearance.. the rear right sometimes scrapes a bit if I hit any large undulations at speed, and the fronts originally did foul the inner bodywork at full lock. But I did a tiny bit of grinding and refibreglassing and now it’s fine. It was areas you couldn’t see anyway and I’m quite good at fibreglassing so it wasn’t too much of a job.

Good thing about having a fibreglass body.  :)

If these were fitted by a previous owner, make sure you have the correct wheel bolts. They’re longer for the magnesios. Something the previous owner may not have thought to do. 

Edited by Glyn Harper

Good call on the wheel bolts Glyn. :thumbup:

I can't remember what the measurement was but lotus use to advise a certain amount of thread sticking out the other side of the hub. ? 

A

9 hours ago, silverfrost said:

The fitment guide from lotusespritworld will be regarding when they are fitted to the V8 350 sport esprit. 

The X180 never came with mag wheels !

The last owner would of added them. The rear tyres on the mags should be 295 off memory and not 285.

The fronts may of been fitted with 225 due to possible tyre rub if 235s had been fitied.  

The most likely case though is that the sizes fitted were the cheapest zr tyres avaible at the time to the previous owner. 

If you have no problems with the currenth tyre set up in would leave it, the only reason I myself would change the fronts would be the profile from 45 to 40 and that would only be for aesthetics. 

The difference between a 225 width and 235 compaired side to side with each other you would not even visibly notice until you looked at the numbers on the tyre wall.

Regarding the rears stick with 285 they will be cheaper and as you do not have the torque of the V8 or the 350 suspension there is little in it to bother changing imo.

3yr old tyres not a problem imo, if it had been left in same posiion for 3yrs without even moving then yes I would be worried for flat spots.  But as long as the tyres remained inflated and it has moved a few times I would not bin the boots yet ! 

just do a visual check of the sidewalls for cracking which tbh I doubt you will find given the tyre age and low profile.  Perks of a lightweight car on fat rims lol.

Thank you.

The tyres are Michelin pilot sport 3s, not exactly cheap.

I guess you are right about keeping the tyres. My tyre shop does not have the 295 for my rear, needs to be on indent, so yeah.. 285 seems a sensible choice.

Thanks.

Checked my wheels last week.

235/40/17 fronts

295/35/18 rears

Both are Pirelli P zero (red dots on them)

These were the standard tyre type and size for that wheel that was tested by Lotus, which is why I went with them. They are still out there being made I think.

I have a spare front brand new tyre in the shed. 10 years old but I'm hoping it'll be ok if/when I come to use it.

I just did a google search on the wheel bolts, and the 350 ones should have 32mm of thread on them. I think the standard ones it's only about 25mm of thread or something.

Edited by Glyn Harper

On 02/07/2018 at 17:24, Glyn Harper said:

Checked my wheels last week.

235/40/17 fronts

295/35/18 rears

Both are Pirelli P zero (red dots on them)

These were the standard tyre type and size for that wheel that was tested by Lotus, which is why I went with them. They are still out there being made I think.

I have a spare front brand new tyre in the shed. 10 years old but I'm hoping it'll be ok if/when I come to use it.

I just did a google search on the wheel bolts, and the 350 ones should have 32mm of thread on them. I think the standard ones it's only about 25mm of thread or something.

Yes, i managed to find the tire size and wheel size for the mags..

Unfortunately, I could not find the correct size locally.

I am considering using

Front - 235/40/17 and

Rear - 275/35/18

The reason why i am considering using these sizes is because after some calculations, these are the closest in diameter and circumference with the original wheels and tyre size when the car rolled out from.the factory.

I have read somewhere that it is important to maintain the correct vehicle height for the esprit (170mm??? please correct me if i am wrong).

And since I am using the stock springs and shocks, i felt it best to maintain close to the original specs.

Is 275 not a little too narrow for those wheels?

I do have adjustable suspension which is where I was able to adjust the ride height. 275 sounds a little thin to me though. Wonder if using 235's at the front would upset the overall balance.

Thing is, our cars aren't actually Sport 350's so the settings will never be optimal anyway, I guess.

9 hours ago, Glyn Harper said:

Is 275 not a little too narrow for those wheels?

I do have adjustable suspension which is where I was able to adjust the ride height. 275 sounds a little thin to me though. Wonder if using 235's at the front would upset the overall balance.

Thing is, our cars aren't actually Sport 350's so the settings will never be optimal anyway, I guess.

My tyre shop was thinking that too regarding the 275 too ..

The original wheels and tyres on the Steven were :-

Front 215/50/15 on 7J +23 wheels, diameter is about 596mm and circumference is 1872.4mm,

Rear 245/50/16 on 8.5J +30 wheels, so the diameter is about 654.1mm and circumference is 2046.4mm 

So, if I was to use what was on the car now,

Front 225/45/17, with diameter of 634.3mm and 1992.7mm, translating to an increase of about 19.5mm in ride height,

Rear 285/35/18, with diameter of 656.7mm and circumference of 2063.1mm, resulting in an increase of about 2.65mm in rear ride height ...

Owing to the fact that I do not have height adjustable shocks, what might be the effect on the handling?

Also, can I know what shocks are you using know?

Thanks.

I do remember having to drop the nose of mine a bit, as it was causing understeer at speed, so it's possible this was the original cause.

I got my shocks (and new springs) from SJ Sportscars. You can then wind the springs up and down to set the ride height how you like, as well as the strength of the dampers. They weren't super expensive.

Also, on your wheels I see there are some bits without paint. Magnesium is terrible for corroding. I have the odd nick on my wheel, but I always paint some touch up, or clear lacquer as soon as I notice anything to stop them corroding. It's worth doing something with yours if there are any parts that the magnesium is exposed. It's a bit of a job to get them repainted as only a few places can do magnesium wheels and it's not cheap as it has to be done in an oxygen free environment.

Cheers,

Glyn.

Thank you for all the advise Glyn!

Really appreciate them.

WIll find some clear lacquer to cover the paint chips on the wheels tomorrow. 

Will have to speak with Steve regarding the adjustable shocks too.

Cheers!

There was a horrible set on eBay last year that looked like they had been hand painted with some silver dulux using a paintbrush. Other than that, they come up very infrequently. I was quite lucky and happy when I got mine. Think I paid about £1000 as well, which was a bargain really. If you put a watch on eBay, you may get a set.. although they usually seem to come up in ones or two’s, not a full set.

They are light though. I originally had GT3 wheels, which are smaller with narrower tyres. The much larger Magnesios were pretty much the same weight, wheels and tyres together.

On 04/07/2018 at 11:13, hspeck said:

My tyre shop was thinking that too regarding the 275 too ..

The original wheels and tyres on the Steven were :-

Front 215/50/15 on 7J +23 wheels, diameter is about 596mm and circumference is 1872.4mm,

Rear 245/50/16 on 8.5J +30 wheels, so the diameter is about 654.1mm and circumference is 2046.4mm 

So, if I was to use what was on the car now,

Front 225/45/17, with diameter of 634.3mm and 1992.7mm, translating to an increase of about 19.5mm in ride height,

Rear 285/35/18, with diameter of 656.7mm and circumference of 2063.1mm, resulting in an increase of about 2.65mm in rear ride height ...

Owing to the fact that I do not have height adjustable shocks, what might be the effect on the handling?

Also, can I know what shocks are you using know?

Thanks.

You need to remember that if you change either the width or the profile from the original specified for your car (on the rears), you're going to mess up your real speed versus indicated speed.

I hope your tyre shop told you that.

If your indicated becomes higher than your real speed, there'll be no drama with the police. Other drivers may get ticked off with you travelling slower than the limit though. If your indicated becomes lower than your real speed, you just have to try and remember so that you don't speed. And it's not a linear relationship with your speed. The gap between indicated and real speed will increase the faster you go.

I can't give you any info on whether altering the sizes will alter the handling.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Bumpersticker2.jpg

I have the later 100mm V8 style electronic speedo in mine which you can calibrate. I used a GPS speed sat nav for comparison and gradually changed the increments until I got my speedo spot on.

Most speedos over read speed anyway by default, so even with bigger wheels and tyres, you may only be eating into that margin. But yes, worth checking with something like a TomTom on your dash that gives you a gps speed, just as a one off so you know how much to allow for. We don’t like permanent dashboard or window clutter in our nice Esprits. :)

19 hours ago, ramjet said:

You need to remember that if you change either the width or the profile from the original specified for your car (on the rears), you're going to mess up your real speed versus indicated speed.

I hope your tyre shop told you that.

If your indicated becomes higher than your real speed, there'll be no drama with the police. Other drivers may get ticked off with you travelling slower than the limit though. If your indicated becomes lower than your real speed, you just have to try and remember so that you don't speed. And it's not a linear relationship with your speed. The gap between indicated and real speed will increase the faster you go.

I can't give you any info on whether altering the sizes will alter the handling.

My indicated speed is higher than my actual speed, so I am safe with the traffic police !

I’ve got larger wheels and tyres fitted to my 88 Stevens. Rear is on 285 and front is on 235. Originally I had pro-tech adj dampers with springs on and it was a nightmare! The rear shocks kept leaking so I got a second hand pair of avo’s Which coped a lot better. However the car felt crashy (if that’s a word) and the tyres would rub the arches if I went over a bump or even an undulating surface. 

The fix in the end was changing the front shocks to avo and fitting a complete set of springs. That enabled me to set the ride height clearance to 17mm and stopped the rubbing. Totally transformed the ride (Personally I think the springs made the most difference)!

Still had to fit an S300 lip spoiler to stop the front end lifting though and therefore be careful how high your car sits. It was not a fun moment as the steering went light and the car didn’t respond 😳😦.

Would love to change the bushes front and rear to the Lotac setup however I hate changing bushes and the kit is quite pricey. Not to mention the list of other bits that are higher priority, like a LSD and Larger Inlet Valves😁

I have the front rubber lip on mine, as my driveway is quite steep so I'm limited in ground clearance. I did have to slightly lower the front of mine to reduce understeer at speed. I have the Sport 350 rear wing as well, so I get a lot of downforce at the back which probably doesn't help understeer.

My car is 301bhp and we have derestricted roads here, so I often do get to speeds where the handling starts to change!