free hit
counters
v8 engine oil clearances - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
v8GTmac1

v8 engine oil clearances

I'm looking a downloaded version of the manual and it seems you have to calculate oil clearances yourself. 

Big end bore for example          1.881"  -  1.883"

On the crank pin is                      1.8802"  -  1.8808"

that's an oil clearance of     .0008"   -   .002"    seams tight?

crank numbers.jpg

rod numbers.jpg

Edited by v8GTmac1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The reason for question is that I ant to Platigage as much as possible top to bottom. Polish where needed and still be in spec. My oil light was coming on prior to removal and so I want some good clearances for the rebuild. 

Edited by v8GTmac1

I may be wrong but I think the oil light is on the line going to the head (cams and hydraulic tappets) after its pumped through the oil coolers. If you have blocked oil coolers it makes the oil light come on but you still have oil pressure at the crank as its on a different line. I had the oil light problem myself and taking the coolers out by linking the flow and return pipes on the filter housing gave me flow of oil back to the head. So new cooler pipes and coolers solves the problem.

All oil galleries (main and head) are fed post oil coolers.  You can link out the oil coolers for faster establishment of initial oil pressure, but if you have a blockage in the oil coolers - you will have a severe problem for all surfaces requiring oil pressure/oil film.

When you inspect/measure your crank, depending on condition you may need to consider moving to oversize mains or crankpins bearings. Two levels of reclaim are possible - 0.25 and 0.50mm

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Interesting you both say that about the oil coolers, I dont like them up front anyways. 

And here is the Camshafts that I will address for certain. 

CAM BEARING.jpg

Of course clearances are hugely important for a good build, but unless you have had major oil pressure issues, you would not expect any clearance issues on the cam bearings. 

You will want to check the front cam bearings very carefully though.  It is unfortunately quite common for the cam cover bolts to be over-torqued and to pull out the threads.  Due to the use of the front cam cover threads and camshaft drippings for timing, the thread material can often be introduced and badly score the front bearing.

Cam caps1.JPG

Cam caps2.JPG

Cam caps3.JPG

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica