free hit
counters
Oh no, another newbie :-D - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Oh no, another newbie :-D

WayneG

Hi, apologies for the long post here but I'm new to the forum and currently looking at buying an Exige S. My budget is limited to the lower priced cars out there currently, and I wondered if anybody knows of a buyer’s guide? If not, what tips/pointers would you give to somebody entering the fold? Did you make any mistakes yourself etc?

I test drove one the other day, a roadster, and was very impressed. I know I'll have to make compromises for a car like this on the road, (I don't expect to do any track days, although never say never), but I was happy that my fillings didn't fall out over bumps, things like cruise control can be spec'd (I find this a license saviour) and with the roof off in the sun the other day, it was an "experience" rather than just another drive out in a fast car.

I’ll admit that my ideal option would be an auto (I have a dodgy clutch knee from time to time) and a roadster!! However I also expect this would be financial suicide (and have been told as much from a friend who previously owned one of these), so I’d probably struggle to sell if/when the time comes. I’m therefore thinking of a hard-top with race and premium packs, and manual gearbox is the only route to go down. It seems you can convert the hard top to a soft top instead anyway (although I guess there's a reason for the limited top speed on the roadster). 

I’ll be using the car sporadically and hope to meet up with some of you on driving runs etc. Is anybody around the Manchester/North West area by the way?

Thanks

Edited by WayneG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't buy a roadster. The roof on a coupe can be converted for relatively little money - it's a seperate removable panel. They are also top speed limited and don't have front diffuser or rear wing.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell me I'm wrong. In the meantime, hello, and welcome. I've found this to be a very useful and friendly forum.

Loved my Roadster! I agree with the "cleaner lines" comment above, but most will want the Coupe's more aggressive look, so the Coupe will always be an easier sale.

I think the restricted top speed on the Roadster is down to the fact that the soft top may not stay in place above about 150mph!!

Both are epic cars, good luck with the search :)

1 hour ago, Lenny38 said:

You must try it on a track, even if it's only once.

Any circuits you’d recommend? I’m not far from Outin but there isn’t much run off at some sections and it’s quite technical for a newbie. 

31 minutes ago, tim_marra said:

David Hayton (Carlisle) has a V6 S Exige IPS for sale.

https://www.davidhayton.co.uk/cars/lotus/lotus-exige-35-v6-350-sport-2dr-d3aps

Thanks but I’m going for an S as it’s less money

I'm in the South East and a bit lazy so I normally use Brands Hatch and Bedford both good for a newbie. Also been to Blyton Park and that's a great as well if its your first time. Check out Lotus on Track website. Great events and people.   

1 minute ago, Lenny38 said:

I'm in the South East and a bit lazy so I normally use Brands Hatch and Bedford both good for a newbie. Also been to Blyton Park and that's a great as well if its your first time. Check out Lotus on Track website. Great events and people.   

Excellent, thanks

4 minutes ago, tim_marra said:

Donington would be perfect. Not too far from you and plenty safe enough for someone with limited experience. Great circuit too.

Good tip, thanks. I feel confident enough to go for a track day, but it'll be down to Insurance parameters (have only had a couple of quotes so far and believe some companies offer track insurance as part of the annual premium) and the circuit run-off space in case my confidence overtakes my skill 😋

1 minute ago, Mark030358 said:

Hi,

im on the Wirral, happy to meet up when I’m home.....

cheers

Mark

Excellent, sounds good. I'll keep the forum up to date with my purchase progress.

• Gold FFM

And second only to Adrian flux in their disinterestedness when it came to quoting.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

35 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

And second only to Adrian flux in their disinterestedness when it came to quoting.

That’s a shame to hear... I’ve only had a great experience with them to be honest.

www.alias23.com

• Gold FFM

Used to use Competition Car Insurance, they were great, then they got taken over by Towegate and merged into Adrian Flux, then it was downhill all the way.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Just to add up, there many great insurances, mine is classicline, great as well, 5 trackday per year included with recognised trackday organiser, so all of them really (but for me cheaper than any others in my case) ...