free hit
counters
Engine oil and gear oil - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
LotusFella

Engine oil and gear oil

Hi My local lotus garage is planning on using this Castrol Edge 10/60 oil for the engine and Motul Gear 300 75/90 for the transmission. Is this ok or should I state otherwise?

Many Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I already answered the question about gearbox oil - Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75W/90. Lotus recommended.

I use Mobil 1 10W/60 Extended Life in my engine, but that’s just my choice, and there are quite a few others that you can use.

yes sorry about all the questions.  newbie and getting is serviced at Castle Sportcars next week and trying to get it right.  

Thx Ian

I think that the Castrol 10/60 it perfect for it.

I would check to see if the Motul is a GL4 or GL5.

There has been discussion that the GL5 is too slippery and also will bind to the brass synchros in the trans and peel away the brass over time.  I used a Valvoline or a Mobil 1Synthetic 75/90 (Cant remember) which is also a GL5.  Most on here use a Redline GL4 fluid to be safe and like it.  I probably dont have 1000 miles on the differential fluid change so not very long.  I dont here any noise and dont have any issues as far as I can tell.

I would think they are quality fluids and woulkd be Ok.

Thanks Mark Seifert

Engine maybe, but I probably would not use in the gearbox.  If you do  a search on here or Lotus Chat there are some articles on the brass synchronizers possibly getting worn as the GL5 rated fluids attch to the brass and actually pull of the brass slowly.  Much smarter guys than me on here.  Probably fine for thre Engine, but I probably would pass on the gearbox.  Mark