free hit
counters
Size - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Size

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definately more room in a Stevens car. Both are cozy but more so in a 'G' car. Come to an event Ian and try both for size.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

...fitting a steering wheel the size of a cheerio helps ;)

But what do I know, I'm a leprechaun.

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

The design remit given to Peter Stevens was to keep the external dimensions to within an inch of the G car iirc.

The SE has a slighty modified chassis which I believe makes it the roomiest of the Esprits internally. As has been said, best plan is to find a couple and go sit in them, but the SE might be a good starting point ;)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

How tall is tall?

I'm 6' 2" and I fit OK in my SE. Headroom's alright, although I probably wouldn't be able to fit a helmet on for track days without removing the sunroof. Part of this is my fault - if my backside was less well padded, I'd probably sit deeper into the seat. Leg room is OK, but my left knee just fits between the wheel and the centre console, so there's no room for my hand, meaning I can only use the quarter to three position for turning right. :whistle:

The PO was about Troy's height. When I had my test drive the seat was raised up on 2" spacers and there was about 2" of extra soundproofing foam behind the seat, preventing it going all the way back. There was also an extra inch of foam under the carpet. To say the least it was a squeeze! It was only reading about BigSi on this LEW page for tall drivers, that convinced me I'd have no problems.

To improve matters, I intend to remove the seat subframe, and possibly fit the thinner Elise seats which should help with both legroom and headroom. I had also intended replacing the steering wheel with a smaller one, but after fitting the wider v8 wheels, the non power assisted steering is now pretty heavy, so I may leave it. If you're worried about space, I'd recommend reading that LEW page, there's plenty of good ideas, regardless of the car's body shape or model.

Phil

More speed, less haste