free hit
counters
Wheel arch paint - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

• Gold FFM

While mines in bits - I’m looking at the black paint and thinking it could do with a refresh under there.

what paint have folks used ??

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, I always go by smell too. It's a great finish. Similar to factory on the S1, and tough as Hammerite. It has sound deadening properties also. I had the S1's chassis painted in it, as wel

Raptor coat or Epoxy paint. It's fiberglass so it won't rust. Any waxyol type stuff just makes a mess. Raptor coat won't chip, which helps.

Opted for Raptor in the end - looks pretty good. Smelt lovely on application 

I used rubberized undercoating inside my wheel wells when the paint began to flake off. (That's what you mean by wheel arches, right?  Not the canards that are fastened to the wheel OPENINGS to comply with Euro regs.)

An added benefit to using undercoating is that the bolts in the rears (that fasten to the petrol tank upper boards) will be sealed against moisture and will reduce the moisture that rusts the original tanks.

The undercoating has lasted about 18 years on my car, and I've done long-term driving through some fairly nasty rainstorms.

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Raptor coat or Epoxy paint. It's fiberglass so it won't rust. Any waxyol type stuff just makes a mess. Raptor coat won't chip, which helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

I had my bodyshell underside, which had underseal applied many years ago, painted in satin black, untextured Raptor 2K. Manufactured by U-Pol.

Obviously it needs a good, clean surface for this type of paint to adhere. Looks great though, and very tough. Alternatively I'd choose one of the other methods mentioned above.

• Gold FFM

Opted for Raptor in the end - looks pretty good. Smelt lovely on application 

• Like 2

Only here once

That Raptor stuff is fantastic. The Yanks cover their pick up backs in it from new. Next time I have the wheels off yellow peril I will be applying some.

Smell is everything when it comes to car products but for the love of god what makes us have a sniff in the first place???

2 minutes ago, Clarky5150 said:

That Raptor stuff is fantastic. The Yanks cover their pick up backs in it from new. Next time I have the wheels off yellow peril I will be applying some.

Smell is everything when it comes to car products but for the love of god what makes us have a sniff in the first place???

I dunno about you, but it beats the smell of my overalls.