free hit
counters
Lexan/polycarbonate side qtr glass - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
nic996

Lexan/polycarbonate side qtr glass

Has anyone considered plastic glass for the side rear and bulkhead glass? There is a company that will make glass panels with an e-mark (plastics for performance). I'm not interested in the weight saving but ease of access for servicing. I'm putting my car back together and relised that not having the bulkhead and rear qtr glass is a big bonus for access to various bits and bobs. Perhaps even help with cambelt changes. My thought for the side would be to screw the glass in and then use the plastic glass trim to cover the screws by way of industrial velcro.
Shared thoughts or better still experience, would be welcome. Perhaps I am missing some aspect of the idea.

Nic

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've used Lexan on side and bulkhead windows on GT40 and T70 replicas. I never had any issue with heat or distortion. Don't see why you couldn't use it in your case. Heaps of rally and race cars use the stuff. Mine where a bit more permanently fastened with self tappers and silicone though. Careful with polycarbonate 'Perspex' as that will scratch first time you wipe it to clean it and will really ruin your day. 

Thanks for the reply. A GT40 replica was on my mind when I thought of it. I think self-tappers and a rubber seal would do the trick. It doesn't have to unclip in seconds. Just something that is removable without destroying paint by prising PU adhesive from the body/glass
Just to make it clear for any readers. Lexan is one of the a trade names for Polycarbonate. It's exactly the same stuff save for different coatings that various manufacturers apply. Perspex is one of the trade names for Acrylic which as you rightly say will scratch and should be avoided.  

Cheers,

Nic

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971