free hit
counters
V8 Alt Failure - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Adragna

V8 Alt Failure

What are the thoughts on the V8 Alternators. I have had my Alt. fail about two years ago and once again today! The first failure I had a shop remanufacture it.

I was wondering if there is a different Alt that is more reliable? In the future I will leave a trickle charger on the car, as it does sit at times with little use and I realize this is hard on the Alt. Thanks for any help!

Dan Adragna

99 V8 Silver

Orlando, Florida

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi,

The V8 alternator is some standard GM part, I think from an Omega. Trickle charging won't help, I mean it provides a trickle charge when the cars not in use but does nothing when you're heading down the highway in the middle of the night.

I had one fail, and it was only 80 quid to replace - even with the exchange rate you're saving yourself a *lot* of grief to try to customise some alternative! Plus in the grand scheme of V8 things it's relatively easily to replace - and you can check the aux belt. Hell, mine had chinks in it - cambelts, please, sir :-)

Unless you're planning powering some rock stadiums to the sound of your V8 the 120 amps is more than sufficient.

Up to you - my advise is to get a good qualituy OEM replacement (maybe not Lotus but I'm not going to get into that argument, GM don't sell cars in the UK, strange... :-)

Neal

98 V8-GT

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Alternator failure on cars using the late model Delco alternator are quite common on cars that are not driven often . The reason being that the alternator is not designed to charge a fully discharged battery, just to supply enough charge to keep the battery topped up. People who store cars without either removing the battery and charging it or charge it in the car will have this problem. If you boost the car with a dead battery, the alternator will burn up due to the immense load placed on it to recharge the completely discharged battery. I know an idiot with a Corvette, who ends up changing his alternator every spring , because he is too bone idle to remove and look after the battery in the winter(whilst the car is in storage) :)

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Alternator failure on cars using the late model Delco alternator are quite common on cars that are not driven often . The reason being that the alternator is not designed to charge a fully discharged battery, just to supply enough charge to keep the battery topped up. People who store cars without either removing the battery and charging it or charge it in the car will have this problem. If you boost the car with a dead battery, the alternator will burn up due to the immense load placed on it to recharge the completely discharged battery. I know an idiot with a Corvette, who ends up changing his alternator every spring , because he is too bone idle to remove and look after the battery in the winter(whilst the car is in storage) :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks guys! I will call JAE for a price on Monday. One weird thing though, that I had not mentioned earlier. The first time the Alt. went bad I saw the battery light come on in the dash. This time the tack and speedo were quirky and if I turned the A/C on the ABS light would come on. Weird! Any thoughts?

Dan Adragna

Thanks guys! I will call JAE for a price on Monday. One weird thing though, that I had not mentioned earlier. The first time the Alt. went bad I saw the battery light come on in the dash. This time the tack and speedo were quirky and if I turned the A/C on the ABS light would come on. Weird! Any thoughts?

Dan Adragna

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Possible cause was a voltage spike or a short as the alternators internal regulator failed. Make sure the battery is charged up when you install the new one. :)

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Possible cause was a voltage spike or a short as the alternators internal regulator failed. Make sure the battery is charged up when you install the new one. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Wayne!

Cheers!

Dan A

Daniel,

can you do me a favor? When you get your new alternator from JAE, could you post or send me the label information off of the alternator? I am creating a parts cross reference list for V8 Esprits. So far, i have a few A/C components. Cross referencing hte alternator would be a nice addition to my list. Thank you.

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

Daniel,

can you do me a favor?  When you get your new alternator from JAE, could you post or send me the label information off of the alternator?  I am creating a parts cross reference list for V8 Esprits.  So far, i have a few A/C components.  Cross referencing hte alternator would be a nice addition to my list.  Thank you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually ended up ordering a Alt from Jamie @ Yesteryear. Jamie uses the old Alt cases with new internals that produce 140Amp vs. the stock 110Amp. Jeff at Jae referred me. I should have the Alt by this Friday or Monday. Cost was the same Jae new unit $450 / Jamie modified unit $450

Dan A

99 V8 Silver