Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
labour time for b service. - Page 8 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

labour time for b service.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 minute ago, Barrykearley said:

Straight out pipes - keep the existing cats. Makes a big difference.

@swindon_alan has a cross over system that sounds lovely 

That’s what i was thinking

How easy it is to change The engine mounts?

On My Esprit they seem to be ok when visually inspected, nyt it does make quite a lot vibration to the dash and cabin when idling.

My mechanic putting the alternator back after bearing change. 

1531588722495-357215025.jpg

Edited by Ekku
Picture added

"Older I get, faster I was"

39 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

That’s fantastic news. Now please - do it properly with the right bits. @Bibs can sort you out nice polys.

do not scrimp on that engine mount - get them changed - mine had a surface crease on the block which needed welding

Not sure I can do this so will be trying to persuade Gerald to do them for me along with the drive shaft oil seals.

18 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Easy to change - ramp makes it easier

Are they something a competent Diyarbakir could do then?

8 minutes ago, Mightymetro said:

Did the radiator turn out to be ok Chris?  Thinking I might get mine refurbished 

Ask him about it and he said it wasn’t leaking so wouldn’t do anything until it was.

8 minutes ago, Mightymetro said:

Did the radiator turn out to be ok Chris?  Thinking I might get mine refurbished 

I have a 2 post lift so how should I lift the engine? A row prop? lol

Another thing that came up on the castle service is the coolant light came on on the way home from GST. When the car was cooled I checked and it was really low! How could that have happened. I’ve only driven it 120 miles and that’s at 3-4K rpm max. 

54 minutes ago, CHANGES said:

Maybe the radiator or something like the turbo cooling pipe is leaking.  !!!!!   

No no leaks

• Gold FFM
19 minutes ago, LotusFella said:

No no leaks

Get a pressure test done, water doesn't just disappear unless you had an airlock.

• Gold FFM

It’s either leaking out onto the floor - or into the cylinders and out the exhaust.

i know what my money would be on after seeing that rad - could equally be the chassis pipes - but you’ve got a leak no question 

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Was the level checked at time of purchase?  Might have been low already, and perhaps a weak pressure cap vented enough to trigger the warning.

Although I agree the rad is waiting for God.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

I would have said the chaps who did this service were probably capable of filling a water bottle. 

Lets say they have cocked it up for now.

fill the bottle, run the car to temp, bleed the radiator at the nipple by the passenger side. The v8 bleeds air a whole lot easier than the 4pot. Repeat until all air gone at the bleed nipple, top up - drive and see what occurs with the coolant level

Only here once

Chris - if you’ve rebuilt Alfa’s before you shouldn’t have any problems maintaining an Esprit. There’s nothing magic about it, except that access can be challenging in quite a few areas. You already have the parts manual, and I suggest you browse through it during tea breaks, evenings or whenever you have time. The next thing is to get yourself s copy of the Lotus Service Notes for your car. Find out where and how  you can get in to the diagnostic port, too. Armed with those, you’ll be much better prepared!

Oh, and deep pockets are desirable!

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

Have you checked the oil level and inspected for water contamination..    It is not unknown for the V8 wet liners to leak down into the sump ,  especially the early models before they changed the sealant..   Easy check and very important before you run it again... 

The list you posted that Gerald gave you is I take it the Basic list to make it driveable and conform to MOT..  Not to address area's that may on the other hand be wise doing..   ie the spurious yellow and split bushes in the rest of the suspension..  If you can not afford the Lotac stuff fit the original metalastic, at least it will be safer and in spec...   You saw how fast those front two gave out, just imagine a rear going when unaware and cornering at speed.. ''Not trying to be controversial just saying that all''. safety  first...    

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Yes - shit polys are a definite no no.  Decent lotac polybushes are a completely different thing.

ive just fitted a set - they are a whole world apart in terms of difference between them and the cheapo things I’ve ripped out in the past

• Like 1

Only here once

3 minutes ago, LotuStuart said:

I thought poly bushes were a Nono on the Lotus?

Lotus spent a small fortune developing the pollybush system for the Esprit along with the Bilstien / Eibach  damper set up .  They did all this after the Esprit went out of production so us owners would have a replacement product for parts that were becoming obsolete or dated by design.    Now just to make it clear, they did not just order a part from a supplier and say that will do the job...  They fitted up the test bed and developed the parts , instructing the suppliers/manufacturers to re-work and refine the design to their specification several times, until the production team and the test drivers approved the handling of the Esprit with the new components.. Because of this Lotus own the design rights to these products and the parts are only available though recognized outlets.  The parts carry the LOTAC part no which are after production Lotus approved parts..              As with all cars there are other product you can buy which will fit , this does not mean they will do the same job.  In fact far from it....  These products can cause the Esprit to handle or perform poorly undermining its reputation as a super car..   At the end of the day you are free to fit what ever you like ... as long as it passes an MOT most feel its good enough...   good luck with that...  All  I can say is would you climb a cliff with a cheap rope that does not have a manufacturers approval ...  :rtfm:  

Good points Dave.

Personally, I’d start with brakes, then suspension, then cooling system. Everything else, including exhausts, is secondary to getting the car reliable. The go-faster bits can come later. I figured a long time ago that it’s no good me having  a 1,000 BHP car if I’m always sat by the side of the road.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

If lotac is out of budget constraints - fit original metalastic bushes.

its a bastard of a job to do - metalastic do not last much more than a few years. The Lotac kit might look more expensive up front - but “buy cheap pay twice “ will never ring truer

Only here once