free hit
counters
labour time for b service. - Page 5 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
LotusFella

labour time for b service.

Nope - that wishbone has slipped back cos the other bush is fooked as well.

bushes are ok to fit - you need a hydraulic press as that makes life a whole lot easier.

i wouldn’t be considering just bushes - you will need ball joints and track rod ends along with all new nuts and bolts.

be warned - you could well be spending £1500 on parts alone. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
3 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Nope - that wishbone has slipped back cos the other bush is fooked as well.

bushes are ok to fit - you need a hydraulic press as that makes life a whole lot easier.

i wouldn’t be considering just bushes - you will need ball joints and track rod ends along with all new nuts and bolts.

be warned - you could well be spending £1500 on parts alone. 

really!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, LotusFella said:

really!!!!!!!

Yes - and some.

labour will be horrendous if you pay a garage. They will almost certainly bill you at least 2 hours a corner to strip it off. One garage I know will quote 8hours just to do a single rear hub 

21 minutes ago, LotusFella said:

Yes yellow bushes.  the wishbone has slipped back because the material to hold them in place is no longer there. Are the bushes difficult to get in?

I have replied back but them having those pictures even if they were at the start of the work NOT the end makes it difficult for me to force any liability on them. Will keep all posted with the result.

Not talking about Castle but the original garage you bought the car from who sold it saying it had a suspension overhaul

4 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Yes - and some.

labour will be horrendous if you pay a garage. They will almost certainly bill you at least 2 hours a corner to strip it off. One garage I know will quote 8hours just to do a single rear hub 

I have my own two post lift and have stripped and rebuilt 3 classic Alfas (1971 Guilia GTV , 1978 Spider, ( 1982 GTV another 007 model!), also Elise S1 which I raced (albeit for only 3 race meets in the Elise trophy.  Did all the suspension refresh and Nitron suspension). So surely bushes and ball joints on an esprit are similar.  They can't be that different to other marks can they? 

Not intending to do anything to the rear.  It doesn't necessarily follow that the rears need doing as parts wear at different rates.  My initial inspection only showed the front needing attention.  There was certainly no movement when using a crowbar to check them.  although now I will reinspect.  Any esprit nuances I need to know about greatly appreciated.

The shocks and springs look quite new.

I take it you didn't have an inspection before buying it?  Even though that horse has bolted, I think you now need someone who knows these cars to properly inspect the vehicle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pete said:

Not talking about Castle but the original garage you bought the car from who sold it saying it had a suspension overhaul

No they didn't and they were selling on behalf of a collector so I'm not sure they have any responsibility.  Caveat Emptor comes to mind.

Just now, Sparky said:

I take it you didn't have an inspection before buying it?  Even though that horse has bolted, I think you now need someone who knows these cars to properly inspect the vehicle.

Unfortunately not.  I think your spot on.  When could you do it? 😁

Just now, Sparky said:

Ha!  Next week or two, if it's a day trip.

great.  I have a trailer so can bring it down and we'll go from there.  

Much appreciated.

Depending on what I have in, I may have to come to you...

They still have a responsibility.

On June 15 in your V8 posting you said car had recent suspension and bushes,did the dealer tell you that or was there a receipt for it

Just thought - When was the MOT done. The MOT centre could be liable if the MOT was less than 28 days ago.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/problems-with-your-test-result

8 minutes ago, march said:

Just thought - When was the MOT done. The MOT centre could be liable if the MOT was less than 28 days ago.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/problems-with-your-test-result

That is an excellent point.  I asked the garage to put a ticket on it.  They used a 3rd party. So the MOT was done 20/6/2018 NO ADVISORIES!

From my video which I took before I tok it to the garage.  Should those bushes have been an advisory or fail?  They didn't appear to cause the steering to  erratic.  

It's all getting a bit mad! I do not want to start casting aspersion about things, but equally need to make sure the MOT was done properly as it's a simple indicator of the status of a car  When I saw no advisories it did give me confidence.😡😡😡

2 minutes ago, LotusFella said:

That is an excellent point.  I asked the garage to put a ticket on it.  They used a 3rd party. So the MOT was done 20/6/2018 NO ADVISORIES!

Please do something about it! - I have been caught out and feel quite strongly about this. 

No question - that’s at the very least an advisory.

please please - take a look at the bottom of the rear hubs - taking note of the bottom arm and it’s mountings

9 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

No question - that’s at the very least an advisory.

please please - take a look at the bottom of the rear hubs - taking note of the bottom arm and it’s mountings

I'll do a video tonight and post it up.

How should I approach it with the company that sold it to me.  They did not do the MOT they  used a local garage which they probably use all the time.

Please bear in mind you purchased a car which was sat right in front of you to inspect.

im not sure pointing fingers the right approach 

23 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Please bear in mind you purchased a car which was sat right in front of you to inspect.

im not sure pointing fingers the right approach 

Yes I did and indeed I did say Caveat emptor in my previous email.  However the bushes did not look bad, bad. Any MOT station will have had better access than me.  I'm not looking to point fingers unless it really was something that should have been noted as a failure.  I will not pursue further unless it should have been.  I will speak to my local garage and show them the video I did.  I suspect they would just say an advisory.  Which brings it all back to how the hell did the just "fall out" so soon!

how the hell did the just "fall out" so soon!"

Well its got to fall out sometime, and if its been sat cracking/decaying for 4 years, as soon as you start to use it its going to start falling apart.

Same reason my Spitfire sat for 6 years, with a 48 year old radiator cap and was fine for 30 miles, then the cap died.

Why, after 48 years,  did it choose then to let go? Because the damage had been done by the sitting, and disturbing it killed it.

Also, the water pump, fan belt, rear brake pistons, clutch slave (and master for the heck of it), carb needles, brake pads also needed doing when it was resurrected. It was put away fine, but sitting does not equal preserving.

I think the most likely scenario is crappy fake polly bushes (as referred to above) were decaying while sat, and once you started to disturb them (by driving it) they started to crumble. Once 10% had crumbled there was more pressure on the remaining 90%, etc etc so they crumbled. 

It would be interesting to see what remains of the other yellow bushes on the car when you get a chance to fix it all.

2 hours ago, LotusFella said:

Yes yellow bushes.  the wishbone has slipped back because the material to hold them in place is no longer there. Are the bushes difficult to get in?

Not intending to do anything to the rear.  It doesn't necessarily follow that the rears need doing as parts wear at different rates.  My initial inspection only showed the front needing attention.  There was certainly no movement when using a crowbar to check them.  although now I will reinspect.  Any esprit nuances I need to know about greatly appreciated.

23 minutes ago, LotuStuart said:

how the hell did the just "fall out" so soon!

Point 1 and 3....    The Yellow polly bushes, could have been new at the MOT and gone south that quick..   The design is totally wrong for the Esprit.  The Esprit bush is a one piece unit designed to act as a spring with the suspension,  hense not torquing till ride height set.  The yellow crap is designed for it to rotate on the pin..  when fitted to an Esprit the center collar locks as it should on and Esprit but the polly section slips around it and in the arm. With no lube and not designed to do this , it rips them to shred in no time at all..   But of course everyone knows this.. don't they....  

On point 2 ...    good luck with that .... if fitted with metalastic original bushes , they should be changed every few years... I have seen so many that pass MOT's but not in spec for the Esprit..   You only need to look how they sit on the arms.. After a few years they move off center, the bush sags over time and sends the Geo out..At the same time the complicity values change and they do not act as designed to ..   its so common to see when you know what your looking at...  I also can not understand why you would do the front and not the back,  its like decorating half a room and saying that will do..  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CHANGES said:

Point 1 and 3....    The Yellow polly bushes, could have been new at the MOT and gone south that quick..   The design is totally wrong for the Esprit.  The Esprit bush is a one piece unit designed to act as a spring with the suspension,  hense not torquing till ride height set.  The yellow crap is designed for it to rotate on the pin..  when fitted to an Esprit the center collar locks as it should on and Esprit but the polly section slips around it and in the arm. With no lube and not designed to do this , it rips them to shred in no time at all..   But of course everyone knows this.. don't they....  

On point 2 ...    good luck with that .... if fitted with metalastic original bushes , they should be changed every few years... I have seen so many that pass MOT's but not in spec for the Esprit..   You only need to look how they sit on the arms.. After a few years they move off center, the bush sags over time and sends the Geo out..At the same time the complicity values change and they do not act as designed to ..   its so common to see when you know what your looking at...  I also can not understand why you would do the front and not the back,  its like decorating half a room and saying that will do..  

Ok, looks like very big bill for me.  Lucky I didn't pay £30k for it!  Caveat Emptor! already spent £2k on the b+ servicing.  Should have listened to @Barrykearley

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Yes - and some.

I can vouch for the 8 hours too! This is why I've decided to do my own maintenance. It's not that hard when you plan your work and use a certain few gurus on here. They have all been a massive help to me and I'll do my own maintenance from now on. When it comes to cambelts though, I'll have to go back to garage services unless there are any volunteers on here? I have the locking pins and Gates timing tool if they haven't got one!

• Like 1

From my video which I took before I tok it to the garage.  Should those bushes have been an advisory or fail?  They didn't appear to cause the steering to  erratic.  

It's all getting a bit mad! I do not want to start casting aspersion about things, but equally need to make sure the MOT was done properly as it's a simple indicator of the status of a car  When I saw no advisories it did give me confidence.😡😡😡

I had my MOT done last month and my rear lower link bush which the lip had only gone on one side came up as an advisory. I don't like any outstanding work on my Esprit so looked into getting the work carried out. My local garage was busy so that's when I decided to have a go myself. The old bush that came out was 10 times better condition than the one on those photos you posted, so I am surprised yours wasn't flagged up?

I did the work myself last weekend and it was a pig of a job to do. After taking advise from guys off the Facebook/Esprit group who are also on here, I managed to do it and the whole job only cost me £90 (new stud, one-piece polybush, snubber washers, washers).

1 hour ago, LotusFella said:

Ok, looks like very big bill for me.  Lucky I didn't pay £30k for it!  Caveat Emptor! already spent £2k on the b+ servicing.  Should have listened to @Barrykearley

If the car and getting it up to standard costs less than £30k I'd say you did very well!

and what a beauty it is too.