free hit
counters
Hot running and beeping sound from engine bay - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Ekku

Hot running and beeping sound from engine bay

My Esprit has been running hotter than usual on the Idle&and slow traffic. Before the temperature never reached 110C, but now it is running little above it. When I park, there is beeping sound from somewhere near engine, 5 or six beeps in a row. Fans runsaasti normally and temperature at The normal cruising speed is between 80 and 90.

Looks like that I really have to check the electric coolant pump, or what Else might cause this abnormality?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would check the front of the radiators to make sure they don't have any debris built up on the water and oil radiators.  I would make sure to check the coolant level and if some is needed I would first add " Water Wetter" which helps in cooling. Those are my initial steps especially if the fans are coming on as they should. Mark Seifert.

I just lifted the Esprit up and checked the electric coolant pump. When I gave the current to it from separate battery, the pump did run without any abnormal sounds.

I think that I will put jump lead to get the pump running all the time and do test drive. If the running temperature drops to normal, then this thing is almost solved.

The electric coolant pump only works when the engine is off and the coolant temperature is greater than 105 deg C. It turns off at  90 deg C and only operates for a maximum of 20 minutes after engine shut down.

Do not bypass the pump control and run it with the ignition on or the engine running as it pumps coolant in a reverse direction to normal heater flow and there's a diverter valve that shuts off the heater matrix and connects the heater feed line to the main radiator bottom hose to do this.

Thank You for the info sailorbob.

I have not heard the pump sound on this summer after parking to garage, so I still have make it work now that I know how it should operate.

The problem is still sound though. The radiator was out 3 years ago, when the aircon was rebuilded. I have driven only couple thousand kilometers since, and before recently running temperature has been normal.

Fans are working and has been replaced by different type after the new originals went kaputt after very short period of use.

Maybe I should check the thermostat next?

When I did a coil and injector and plug wire replacement..........I also replaced the thermostst as it seemed lazy.....slow to operate / open, but working.  I can say that after replaceing the thermostat it definetly keeps a better more even temperature and I could see that it was definetly working properly.  I did have better access to it as the plenum was off.

I have a new thermostat somewhere. Bought it couple years ago, but did not change it.

Is it possible to change it without removing the plenium?

There are not significant amount of debris on the radiator surface.

Interesting question. I do not think that you have enough clearance to withdraw the rear-most bolt completely and remove the thermostat housing.  However, if you wish just to swap out the thermostat, you may be able to undo the bolts and lift the housing enough to pluck out the thermostat.

Access is a little challenging but luckily in the worst case, plenum removal is not such a big task provided you are not disturbing the inlet manifolds.

plenum.jpg

I agree with Mike that you might be able to get to the bolts holding down the thermostat housing without removing the plenum.  Ther are 2 O-Rings that are part of the sealing for the thermostat.  You could try a 1/4 rachet with extensions and also a flex/universal joint in it so that you can get in at an angle.  I would definetly try it without removing the plenum 1st.  I have heard that some garages will take off the gas struts and take a rope around the trunk lid and tie it up to a rafter for additional clearance on the front of the engine.  I have not tried this and I hesitate to do it. Before even doing the thermostat change, maybe you should try bleeding any air out of the system.

Little update,

I just came back from the test drive.

This time I was unable to get the temperature past 110C - mark.

When I returned home, I did try to get the car hot enough to get the fan started on the idle and by pumping the gas pedal.

I did not suceeded, but now comes the interesting part : all the sudden I heard loud grinding noise from the engine deparament, which followed the engine speed and stopped after few seconds.

It does sound like that the water pump is the problematic part.

Have to take the belt off and feel is there a free play in the pulley.

You DO NOT want that temperature to get past 100 C,  and definetly not 110C.  The thermostat is an 87C unit or 188.6 degrees Farenheit. I beleieve at 100 C the fans kick on.  Overheating is th enemy in the V8 Lotus.  At 110C that would be 230 Degrees Farenheit and that is a problem.    Let us know what you find out.  Do Not Blow up that engiine  The cylinder liner glue will melt and rteally cause major problems.  Thanks Mark

Ok.

Now I Am getting little wiser about this matter. Water pump feels ok when testing by hand. We decided not to take it off.

Alternator bearing seems to be source of extra sound what I heard. Thermostat is off and will be replaced. 

The aux coolant pump works now. Changing The relay cured it. The coolant seemed to be quite dirty allthough it was changed 2 years ago and I have not driven more than couple thousand miles since.

Maybe the flushing of the system with proper additive would be useful.

15315739048101992545957.jpg

There are different color coolants and typically the green variety is probably what came in the car.  There is a GM variety Dex Cool I believe (But could be wrong on the name) that was red in color.  I would use a coolant that is safe with aluminum engines and not corrosive.  I think the Zerek brand here in America had a coolant that was safe for Aluminum engines.  I would also add a botter of "Water Wetter" or the equivalent product to help keep it cooler.  I believe that what you have done will keep your baby cool and she will appreciate it with a cool strong running engine!!!!

Thanks Mark

This coolant on the picture is G-12 type, which is used by Wolkswagen. It is longlife type suitable for aluminium engines.

It seems that the problem was like many of You suggested the sticking thermostat.

With the new one I have not managed to get temperature above 105C.

There was however a little problem to get the air out of the system. We drained the engine too by using the turbo coolant feed pipes.

After the fill up and test running the engine in garage I did the proper test drive. The temperature was fine on the highway, but rose to the 115 in the city. I did cool the car by driving on the higway and then parked the car to my garage. I was really pissed off and started to think worst.

The next day after the engine had cooled off I checked the coolant level and was quite surprised to see that it took about 1.5 litres more to get the coolant on the max level.

After that me and my mate plugged in the OBD-reader and headed to the test drive. The temperature was now ok in all driving conditions. We even measured the temperatures from the pipes of the  thermostat housing with the infrared thermometer to make sure that coolant coming from the radiator is really cooler than the one coming from the engine. I was kind of worried that there might be some blockage in the radiator.

It looks like that there was air trapped in the system under the thermostat and maybe it prevented it opening as it should. Everything fine now.

I was allready having nightmares of head gasket replacementa and the complete engine overhaul...

PS. the alternator was easy fix. The bearings were dry. We dismantled it, cleaned, changed the other end bearing which is common type available everywhere and greased the other one which seems to be more special and not easy to find.

Rotates very nicely and silently now and even produces current.

I noticed exactly when I replaced my thermostat that it was much more steady temperature.  I had the aletrnator rebuilt by a service locally and it really looked brand new when it wasw done.  I was not having any real issue except the chargeing light was coming on and off sporadically.  When i took it in they said it was actually OK, but crusty and just really dirty inside.....sort of like some of us!!!!  Had them redo it / replace the bearings and the regulator etc.  $85 and all is good.  Ironiocally the charging light would come on and just stay on???????  tested the alternatior at the battery and all was well, so I moved on and cleaned the connections at the alternatior etc.... I had a Battery tender charger permantly hooked to the battery and I have the AC cord fished thru the bottom of the floor and near the exhaust or center section under the bumper.  I thought maybe this could cause it....... and about a qweek ago the light goes out and also was out yesterday during a drive?  Who knows.  All Good.  Glad to hear you got it straightened out.  Thanks Mark