free hit
counters
'84 Turbo Speakers - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

'84 Turbo Speakers

Still familiarising myself with my TE project and just noticed that the speaker positions aren't what I expected.

I have no dash top speakers and no perforated section in the upper part of the door panel. What I do have are 4" speakers in the lower rear bulkhead and 6" in the lower part of the door, both of which look, lets say, non original.

I'd assumed that door speakers behind perforations were standard? The Deroure parts diagram only shows the option with 2x rears and 2x dash mounted, which isn't what I have either.

So, what should I have??

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I only have speakers in the upper door position (MY82), but I have a teddy bear interior so there are no perforations. Those speakers in the door definitely don't look standard.

Just whipped off a door panel and the are no factory speaker positions there, only a home cut hole for the speaker in the lower door. The holes for the bulkhead speakers also look home made. So it looks like my car may have left the factory with no speakers!?

I did get a spare set of door cards with the car and they do have the perforations in the leather so maybe those are actually the originals?

As with my Stevens car I'd like to have a good but stealth/factory look sound system inside the car. I don't mind the lower door speakers as long as they have subtle grilles and match to the dash and bulkhead speakers. Theoretically I could add the dash top speakers and retain the door speakers and bulkhead positions for a pretty decent set up.

Something to think about while I have plenty other stuff to do before getting to speakers!

Interesting to note that the G car doesn't have the same double bulkhead as my Stevens so the back of the bulkhead speakers just sit in the air space next to the tank. Has anyone created a speaker enclosure there to create a box isolating them from all that free air? 

2 hours ago, Steve4012 said:

I have velour interior also in my 81 Turbo

:wub:

We'll have to get them together as there aren't many left.

Doesn't look as fluffy as mine.

There should be some speaker enclosures in the engine bay. Tey are not pictured in the parts manual but the P/N is A082B4302K. They are made of ABS plastic.

:) 

It's getting there......

1 hour ago, ChrisJ said:

:wub:

We'll have to get them together as there aren't many left.

Doesn't look as fluffy as mine.

Give me another 2 months to complete the mechanical restoration and you're on👍

• Like 1

Sorry it's not a great picture. You can see the enclosure bottom leftof this picture. I have them loose somewhere, I'll try to get you a better picture. :) 

1842515551_bulkheadspeakerenclosure.jpg.11f1cb5b58860f64ffee1dfc95b4bfa6.jpg

It's getting there......

Thanks. Pretty sure I don't have those in my boxes of random bits so I guess the bulkhead speakers were retrofitted by a PO. Should be easy enough to fabricate something if I don't have the genuine parts so a better photo would be great as a reference point.

more pics...

In the first picture, its upside down as the hole in the centre would be at the bottom (as a drain I assume). I don't think the hole in the back is original, someone had run a cable into the rear using the speaker hole (if I recall correctly).

The lower picture is oriented correctly. Measurements with respect to the bottom picture are as follows -

Top edge - 275mm

Bottom edge - 265mm

Side - 220mm

edging  - 20mm although one edge has been cut at an angle which is why top and bottom sizes are slightly different. I think this was just poorly cut.

height of back - 150mm

Depth - 100mm

I hope that makes sense :) 

1961195215_bulkheadspeakerenclosure1.jpg.2d87dfe011244411db8c5faa7d08aa02.jpg758976544_bulkheadspeakerenclosure.jpg.ebb38883ac3076651d99bb3477d35ea1.jpg

• Like 1

It's getting there......

Where they fit on the bulkhead is angled towards the cabin so they are flush with the body. You will notice that in the first picture I posted. The fuel tank sits a small amount further back. It's been a while since my tanks were in the car but I remember that I couldn't get my hand behind the tank to get at the door striker plate shims, so its tight. :) 

It's getting there......

Ah, yes, I see. So as long as they stay within the same line as the body  by the support bar they will clear the tanks. I feel something homemade coming on...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Our 84 has factory cut 10cm holes in the front dash properly trimmed so i think original. On car stalking at the 70th it seems the speakers should look like this.

Anybody know which other cars used them as I am trying to locate a set.

20181005_073937.jpg

On my 84 I have the bulkhead speakers only and nothing else. No perforations in the dash and no speakers in the doors. Interior is original as far as I can tell. There were probably quite a few different audio specs available at the time...

That said, I wish the first owner would have ordered the roof mounted cockpit stereo...😬

Ad initium

Favour to ask, could anyone take me a picture of the front speaker grills from looking directly overhead (plan view)? I am going to get some made out of RP but I need to model them up first.

thanks

Christian

Hi Steve

brilliant, that's really helpful. RP - Rapid prototype. from your photo I can get a CAD model created then get some speaker grills printed. However if I could buy or borrow your single speaker it would make the creation of a CAD file much easier than trying to scale it off a picture, send me a message if your interested.

BTW once I have a CAD file (stp file) happy to send it to anyone who wants to get more printed.

cheers

Christian 

I personally think the speakers mounted into the sloping fascia spoil the clean Guigiaro lines of this design and glad my current car only has the door perforations. 

The next best variation IMHO is the version with perforations in the fascia and speakers below.