free hit
counters
Bleeding Kelsey Hayes ABS brakes. - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
LotusFella

Bleeding Kelsey Hayes ABS brakes.

Is their any special things I need or need to do to bleed the system.  I have bleed many non abs cars is it just bleed from furtherest caliper forward?

thx

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The Service Notes for the Kelsey-Hayes 415 system is pretty useless when it comes to describing brake bleeding. The only mentions of bleeding is under overhauling the master cylinder and replacing the electro-hydraulic unit where it states 'bleed the brake system in the usual way' and 'bleed the unit using conventional techniques until all air is expelled from the system' respectively.  I would have expected some cycling of the solenoids in the unit would be required.

In light of the lack of detail I would pressure bleed at 2 bar starting with the longest brake line and working my way to the shortest in order. If there is a lot of sediment in the reservoir then it may be worth removing that and cleaning it first but the grommets may need replacing.

• Like 1

I have not found any decent details on bleeding but there was a Vauxhall TSB for the Vectra B (some variants used the KH 415) that states 'Use TECH1 to operate the ABS unit pump whilst simultaneously bleeding the system with a pressure bleeder' to dislodge air bubbles that are trapped within the ABS unit.

On 13/07/2018 at 21:52, sailorbob said:

I have not found any decent details on bleeding but there was a Vauxhall TSB for the Vectra B (some variants used the KH 415) that states 'Use TECH1 to operate the ABS unit pump whilst simultaneously bleeding the system with a pressure bleeder' to dislodge air bubbles that are trapped within the ABS unit.

thx for the info much appreciated.  I'll let you know how I get on.

Found the procedure for the KH EBC 430 (it was used on the S2 Elise and Exige before the swap to a Bosch system):

1. Using conventional manual techniques, or low air pressure applied to the reservoir, bleed the system from each caliper bleed nipple in turn until no air bubbles can be seen.

2. Carefully pull the one-way valve off of the brake vacuum servo unit (to destroy the vacuum in the servo unit), then connect suitable a scan tool (Lotus obviously refer to using their Techcentre), select ABS and follow the brake bleeding instructions. Whilst this automatic process is taking place (with all 4 calliper nipples open), gently cycle the brake pedal up and down whilst keeping the reservoir topped up, to move any air bubbles displaced from the ABS unit down the hydraulic lines. Finish by closing each nipple with the pedal down. Refit the one-way valve.

3. Repeat step 1 to purge each caliper feed line in turn.

Edited by sailorbob
  • Like 1