free hit
counters
The new Esprit is here - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
scotty435

The new Esprit is here

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Fire red for the win. I'd have one.

• Like 1

The lower part is kinda weird. The headlights are a good idea.

Nice colour.

It could be from any one of a number of manufacturers, and not defiinitive enough to carry the name.

Looks like a photoshop of the jag cx75 from the bond film 

1 hour ago, Jeanvm said:

The headlights are a good idea.

I thought pop-up headlamps were no longer legal in Europe?

It's a speculative render so none of this will be a part of the new Esprit when launched....

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/07/new-lotus-esprit-study-envisions-brands-2020-flagship-supercar/

4 hours ago, CarBuff said:

I thought pop-up headlamps were no longer legal in Europe?

I think they are, just as long as the relevant crash tests can be passed. Hence we tend not to see them anymore.

I love the front! For me it is in line with existing Esprit design. The rear is less to my liking, too rounded off. Looks like the Evora was used as inspiration? Would be good for family resemblance, but I'd prefer more angular styling for the Esprit.

A few more tweeks and the availability of a manual would have me advertising redundant bodyparts... 'cause it surely wont be cheap.

I'd be surprised if the new Esprit was anything less than around £130/140k as base starting price, rising to £200k for full power and options.  I think it will price out the majority of current Lotus owners and so it will have a fierce battle with Mercedes, Porsche, Aston Martin and McLaren for that bunch of new customers. It will have to be damned good from a design and performance perspective and Quality Control will need to step up several gears if it is to be taken seriously and to be a success at that price point and with that competition.

I do think the Lotus name could support a £200k Esprit in the market, but it would have to be very good all around and the after sales and customer experience improved a lot.

I'd like to see a new Evora/Exige first though as for many current Lotus owners this would be the logical "upgrade" path but i suspect that will be a £90k to £140/150k proposition and a "spyder" or "open" version is a must have.  I do not believe the Evra spyder/convertible will now ever see the light of day. 

I'd also like to see a new Elise. Looking at the Cayman/Boxster, the new Alpine, even the M2/3/4, you can get a hell of a lot of car for £40-65k and that means Lotus should be able to build an "ultimate" small drivers sports coupe/convertible for that sort of money.  Would love to see it and am sure it would be a huge success, if good enough from a style and performance perspective. it would also need to appeal to a number of current Evora owners as this could be their only realistic upgrade path to a new gen Lotus.

The market seems to be there for £120k+ plus performance cars judging by the number you see on the roads. Not sure how sustainable it is in terms of growth especially if (or is that when) the cost of Finance goes up.  It seems that these days people are quite happy to put down £20-£30k and then have a PCP or CH of circa £1000 to £1200 per month for the privilege of driving one of these cars. I won't say own, as the majority of them i suspect are never "owned" merely traded back in for a new car in exchange for another £20-30k and another £1000+ PCP/CH scheme.  We've become awfully reliant on finance these days and a market that is underpinned, nay, fueled by it, cannot be a sustainable market can it?

I wish they'd just build the bloody thing already... That, and the SUV thingy they've been kicking around too - They'll sell thousands of 'em. That should make some money to revive the Esprit (and I can pick one up in 10 years time when they've come down in price enough where I might actually afford one :) )

• Like 1

The equivalent for a £60k new Esprit V8 in 1996 is about £110k today. 

I’ll take one then. Just need someone to look after it for the first few years 

You buy it - I'll look after it. Can't say fairer than that.

• Haha 1

It looks like another car with a terrible aftermarket bodykit fitted. I'd say it's about as exclusive looking as an old MR2.