free hit
counters
Elite diff 4:1:1 wanted - Wanted - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
korteix

Elite diff 4:1:1 wanted

Good morning, the diff of my Elite is noisy and I'm looking for a good used unit. My Elite is a 1975 501 with the 5 speed Lotus gearbox, the plate on the diff says it's 4:1:1.

Please send me the price you want if you have one. Thanks for your help.

Damien

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 12/07/2018 at 11:54, korteix said:

Good morning, the diff of my Elite is noisy and I'm looking for a good used unit. My Elite is a 1975 501 with the 5 speed Lotus gearbox, the plate on the diff says it's 4:1:1.

Please send me the price you want if you have one. Thanks for your help.

Damien

Hi Damien,

A good source for used Elite parts is Lotusbits (www.lotusbits.com) in the UK. It is better to call them than email - their number is +44 1926 633211.

Good luck, Richard

I believe the 4:1 diff was only used on the eclat sprint to give the 4speed box longer legs. All others had 3.7:1. I maybe wrong however.

I believe the use of 3.7 or 4.1 diff was a choice on all models - apart from the auto which used the 3.7 diff as top gear on that box was 1:1

ATB Richard

hi,i think 3.7:1 was the standard diff for the manual elite,the 4.1:1 diff was an optional extra for £46 back in the day and was introduced to improve acceleration.Fitted a 4.1 to my elite 503 mated to lotus 5 speed box and 912 2.2 lc engine the result is quite dramatic and a little easier on the gearbox internals.harder to find but worth it in the long run in my opinion.lil

Thanks for your answers, I have called lotusbits and they don’t have a 4:1 at the moment. They also told me it wasn’t possible to fit a 3.7, but if that’s possible, even if I have to change all the rear I will do it. I have always tought that the fifth gear was too long, it may solve that problem too. thanks once again for the good news !