free hit
counters
Evora reverse gear - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
hatters

Evora reverse gear

Evora reverse gear

Hello chaps
Some advice please ,I have had my Evora about 3 years now and haven't experienced any problems whatsoever ,I had the front brake discs and pads replaced last year because the car has covered 86,000 miles but still looks as good as new inside and out ,However I have come across a somewhat worrying problem ,I can not engage reverse gear when the engine is running bearing in mind the car had the clutch replaced the same week as I purchased it ,switch the engine off and the gear engages without any problems so it makes me wonder it could be a major problem

Any ideas please

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

it might be the lifter spring under the gear knob..  someone else had this issue i will try snd find the post.

86k impressive good work chap, how many have you added over your 3 year ownership

Edited by andyj007
found the link
  • Like 1

Two other thoughts:

That it’s clutch master cylinder related - the clutch is not being completely disengaged when depressed;

That the gear selector cables needs adjusting - when the engine is running, the vibration causes the selector to not quite make it through the gate.

Probably neither but they were what sprang to mind.

Steve

Wondering if the OP (or anyone else in the know) can shed any light on what the diagnosis was, as I have exactly the same symptoms, fine when engine off, won't go into reverse with it on.

In addition, the clutch pedal has dropped about half way and there is little resistance.

From reading other threads, I have pumped it back up to get pressure, but that hasn't solved the reverse issue.

I've taken it into my Lotus man this afternoon, typically on the drive there the clutch pedal resolved itself (!) although reverse still an issue. I mentioned the threads I'd read about boiling the hydraulics and/or master cylinder, which it could still be. However, unfortunately, the last Evora clutch he had to replace showed the same intermittent systems mine is showing...…...I really, really hope it isn't the clutch - £4k apparently, car has only done 34,000 miles, and I've only done 3k of them.

This one sounds more like the clutch M/C or slave to me.  If the slave doesn’t depress the clutch plate fully then gears are going to be difficult to select.

Hopefully you are correct @Ledlights, would this explain how once the car got going the clutch pedal and all forward gears felt normal again?

I can’t think of a reason why the pedal would drop halfway because of a mechanical clutch (plate, bearing or pressure plate) issue so I would think it’s more likely to be caused by a hydraulic failure. Might be wrong but hope I’m not (£££)..

Hope this helps,

Steve

• Like 1

For those that may visit this thread in the future, it looks for now anyway, that it was the clutch master cylinder, the hydraulic fluid was black when bled.

So, that was changed and as it is a clam off job, I had the mud flap brackets replaced at the same time. Also had the clutch slave cylinder replaced, just in case and the brake fluid.

That plus a new badge on the front as the old one was a bit worse for wear and I'm down £1.1k, but at least it wasn't the clutch...….. 🙂

Edited by Gareth44
  • Like 1