free hit
counters
Driving on track in 38 Celsius - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Driving on track in 38 Celsius

Flashgordon60

Right now there's a heat wave in Sweden with temperatures between 33-38 Celsius. Yesterday I was on the track with my lovely Cup 430. I drove in Race mode for a couple of laps when my car suddenly lost throttle response. The car goes in some kind of "limp mode". I then restarted the engine and pushed for Race mode and everything was fine for a while until the same "limp mode reoccurred. Anyone else experienced this?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Dont know why that's happening but hope u get it resolved soon! No check engine light?

On a side note, I'm curious what water temps you are seeing on track. I will be taking my car on track in a few months and the ambient temperatures should be similar to yours now (33-38c)

• Like 1

Were you able to take note of your water temp at the time you experienced "limp mode"?  Do you know what your IATs were?  Did you feel a significant power reduction before it went into total limp-mode?

My guess is that either (or both) water and IAT were excessively high and the ECU went into engine protection mode.

My home track is in the Southwest US, so my Lotus track cars will be run in typical summer temps  of 35-41C.  As a result,  I know from previous experience that even with Lotus-built track cars, serious improvements to the cooling system are needed if you want the car to perform adequately on track..... for the water system -- radiator, thermostat, water pump impeller, fan configuration .....  all were done to my CupR.

Even though my car came with so called cooling enhancements from the factory -- 2 front-mounted water radiators (the main one was a LMS triple-pass rad), as well as oil and transmission coolers-- improvements  had to made to all the component cooling systems to deal with warm weather tracking, let alone sprint (30 minute) races.   A HOT day in England is sunny and  24*C and Lotus build their cooling systems accordingly. :) Plus, what works for a street driven car is a lot different than what works for a track car. 

• Like 2

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

FWIW the temps you are talking about are typically for where I live, which range from 35-45 degrees C. 24 C is considered a cool day here, seriously 😂 but I have it outfitted with a triple bypass radiator, among other things and have not had any issues at all on the track, except some notable loss in power as compared to our cooler months (24-26 C) 

• Like 1

Thanks for all your feedback. I filled even more liquid to the compressor reservoir. That action improved the performance to certain point. Today in 33-35 centigrade I raced a Porsche GT4 with slicks on track with amount of success until my car went into a complete stop with TCFault in the led-display. A had to be towed back to the pit. I immediately check my car with the App DashCommand for error codes. Two of them displayed P1106 and P2104. I restarted the engine and it just hand an very unstable throttle response. I then disconnected the battery for some 20 minutes. That did the trick but I still had the red engine sign i my dash. After that I just went home in my car in a gentle mode. I have never experienced anything like this in more moderate temperatures 

54624FCD-6E23-4F4E-99CB-3FA7115ECECF.png

3F1C5F7B-53B1-48AF-8743-B09CF9D0F04B.jpeg

40801DCA-AF12-4C07-AB8E-6A15638DACC6.png

the forced idle code is the ecu stopping you from causing any damage hence no throttle I've had this before, IMO I think you have a O2 sensor down or throwing a code, could be a cat that has started to self destruct or burn away I had similar recently just my opinion ......  

• Thanks 1

I had a similr effect on the EX460 on a track day in Southern France. I was in Race mode when suddenly both race and sprt mode lights came on and the car lost power. Problem went away after a few minutes, then came back.

I then turned off the traction control completely and all was well. My conclusion was that the DPM-system has problems with the very high grip on hot days such as you describe and the higher power levels of the EX460 (and maybe the 430).

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Hmm...interesting thoughts about the DPM-system. I drive with slip-percentage 12 (The next level is TC Off). The reason I don't use TC Off is that the inner rear wheel starts spinning in narrow bends. I'm installing a Drexler LSD in August to be able to explore the cars full potential. I don't come to terms with the E-diff. It's artificial and controls your actions in a negative way and probably mess up your driving in high temperatures. 

Edited by Flashgordon60

Thats so weird, hard to think all these errors could be related to the DPM system. @BAS found a leak in his 430cup supercharger which is causing some weird issues with car temp and AC, maybe you have some sort of leak as well or some sort of sensor loose or not working right? Since its under warranty I'd have the dealer check it out.

2 hours ago, Flashgordon60 said:

must be something wrong with the water-cooled supercharger

May simply be a kettle coming to a boil... Would be a bit shocking though. Hopefully it is some minor fault and you'll have it all sorted promptly.

Edited by vd9

• 4 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

Problems solved. It was a leaking valve on the lid to the conservator to the supercharger cooling system. Cooling fluid vaporized little by little in the heat wave causing the engine to slow down and finally go into limp mode. 

Edited by Flashgordon60

On 15/08/2018 at 12:15, Flashgordon60 said:

Gentlemen,

Problems solved. It was a leaking valve on the lid to the conservator to the supercharger cooling system. Cooling fluid vaporized little by little in the heat wave causing the engine to slow down and finally go into limp mode. 

@BAS was this the same issue u had?

My issue was more or less the same I guess. I was told my coolant reservoir was slowly leaking - causing higher water temps in stop go traffic and very poor a/c performance. Had I taken it to track I would have probably gone into limp mode as well.

Lotus sent a replacement and all is good now.

• Like 1