free hit
counters
What effect on the market - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

What effect on the market

Stewie177

What does the collected great brains here think will happen over the next couple of months to dealer offers, upgrades etc with the launch of the new Griffith.

Whilst the spec hasn’t been released yet, the ingredients of Murray, Cosworth, V8, a decent aeropackage, relatively lightweight and a decent looking (electronic) dash interior all for £90k which places it well inside the current Evora (and a well specced Exige 410).

Will the dealers look to offer larger discounts or other incentives, or will Hethel look to try a compete in other ways?

As someone with no bias and looking for something a little exciting it would be rash not to consider the TVR as well as the offerings from Norfolk.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

TVR have a huge mountain to climb. Early interest may possibly come purely from diehards with 90k to spend. I wouldn't even half think about a TVR. I'm amazed they got the funding to build the things. I can't see them making any kind of dent into the Porsche market and its a totally diffferent type of car to the Evora and Exige. Maybe if anyone is a bit nervous it may be Morgan. Probably be history (again) within a couple of years. Always the optimist me :D

29 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

TVR have a huge mountain to climb. Early interest may possibly come purely from diehards with 90k to spend. I wouldn't even half think about a TVR. I'm amazed they got the funding to build the things. I can't see them making any kind of dent into the Porsche market and its a totally diffferent type of car to the Evora and Exige. Maybe if anyone is a bit nervous it may be Morgan. Probably be history (again) within a couple of years. Always the optimist me :D

I think Morgan is in a place all of its own. They don't give a shit about trends, fashion or pandering to the masses. 

• Gold FFM
1 minute ago, jonnyboy said:

500 deposits is BS I think. Not unknown in the automotive industry! There are only so many middle aged blokes with beards that would buy a TVR. 

Too true, 'cos all the other fat lardy middle aged bastards with beards bought a 911!

• Haha 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Or Evoras in my case :D

The TVR is interesting as it's an oldskool formula that we supposedly all want but it's so ugly will people actually buy it in any real numbers? I also suspect a lot of the initial deposits were probably placed by speculators and won't actually result in an order for a car. It was an intriguing idea but not something I would have invested in nor risked a deposit on. 

I am keen for the new Griff to do well. The styling is pretty bland though, and I still think the idea to have a side-exit exhaust for each bank of the v8 is nuts. It sounds utterly bizarre to my ears, which is a total turn-off. :(

• Gold FFM

A bit surprised to read so many negative comments. Especially about the history of reliability issues etc. Just read the other thread (one of them) about future Lotus cars and there the same people are complaining Lotus isn't taking seriously because of issues from the past.

I'm not a potential buyer, as I don't see much advantages over my old Esprit, for much higher running costs (including tax in Belgium!). But I do think it's great TVR went ahead with a new car and it's certainly one of the most interesting offers on the market. At the same (or lower) price point, having a Cosworth V8 over a Toyota V6 makes a big difference image wise! And a lot of buyers will probably never use enough of eithers cars potential to notice the differences with regards to power or handling. 

Probably a different target audience, so I don't think Lotus needs to worry. Still happy it's available. :)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Interesting points. Filipino makes a good one, though I do think it is a very similar audience.

Both marques are trying to do something different from the normal default sports car options and I think that people looking for something a little different may be caught up in all the reviews of the TVR (which will be around before the end of the year) resulting in a stagnation of Lotus sales except to the folk already emotionally invested in the brand.

• Gold FFM

How about replacing the V6 Toyota in the Evora with the Cosworth V8, mounted lower and slightly further forward to get rid of the 2 rear seats and provide a bigger, GT size, boot for European road trips?

Sounds like a match made in heaven to me with 400 bhp entry, 440bhp mid and 500bhp top spec.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

To reinforce my comments earlier - see this tweet from TVR at LeMans.clickz

As per others who responded to that tweet, I think bringing it in behind a Sagaris underlines how epic the Saggy still looks and how relatively safe (or dull?) the new Griff looks.

Car sounds can be difficult to record, but this (and the last promo vid from tvr) just sound bizarre to my ears. And not in a good way. Hence my comment that I am far from convinced that side exits from each bank can possibly sound as good as a rear exhaust with all 8 combined  😕
[/quote]

That does sound different for sure. I wonder how it sounds from the inside on full chat where you'll hear both banks. It's an interesting car and I'm glad it's a reality. Hopefully the start of more to come. The more choices the better especially as we're rushing into an EV world of silence and winey noises.

Watched the launch last year at the revival. Got to say it did nothing for me. To me it has no proper history, I always think of TVR as glorified kit cars, yes they are big engine bruisers. But Lotus has proper racing credentials. its Number 6 on the F1 list of all time. If I was investing the money they want for the TVR I'd go for the offerings from Lotus, maybe a Porker, Ferrari or a second hand Lambo. I've always loved Lotus for the fact they have that tenacious Jack Russel spirt about them. with the advances in Powertrains the TVR is already old, and I don't see them having the money to take that step that is coming.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I've got a bunch of TVR owning mates, one had a deposit on the new car, but withdrew it because it looked too ordinary, all would prefer a Sagaris.

The "safe" styling might shoot the new owners in the foot, Porsche owners are unlikely to jump ship due to perceived reliability issues (although I suspect that in the same way as Triumph having to overcome old reliability issues by making the new engines ultra reliable TVR will e doing the same), and the design not being wacky enough for existing TVR owners..

I'm quite excited to see how a GM designed car performs.

• Gold FFM
22 hours ago, C8RKH said:

How about replacing the V6 Toyota in the Evora with the Cosworth V8, mounted lower and slightly further forward to get rid of the 2 rear seats and provide a bigger, GT size, boot for European road trips?

Sounds like a match made in heaven to me with 400 bhp entry, 440bhp mid and 500bhp top spec.

You'd need a good name for such a package...

Something starting with an 'E'.

Like 'Evoque'. Oh wait, that's already in use...

Just settle for Esprit then. 😎

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.