free hit
counters
Tracking The Esprit - Page 2 - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Tracking The Esprit

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the day went not so well.. I took it very easy on the car so I didn't really do awesome on the track.. on the straights I gunned it a few times and I have some nice video footage of me and a Lamborghini Gallardo literally neck and neck at about 140 in the straights (yes my car is just as fast)!!!

Unfortunately I had to be towed home as there is white smoke coming from the right bank and the car is misfiring.. I am hoping this is something minor and the car is being looked at now..

Edited by mamovaka

• Gold FFM
...Unfortunately I had to be towed home as there is white smoke coming from the right bank and the car is misfiring.. I am hoping this is something minor and the car is being looked at now..

white smoke? such as water get into combustion? misfiring? lost of comression? I hope it is nothing like that!

what a horrorfull story! :crybaby:

do you use a scanner-tool?

by the way, whe all love video-files from "heroic moments". show us some screenshots and pictures... :respect:

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I didnt take the video, but I asked for a copy.. trust me friends when I get it I will post it.. very cool indeed seeing a v8 esprit black w/ a black gallardo going balls out on the poconoo raceway.. What is even cooler is that the cars are completely evenly matched.. one is not pulling on the other.. dead even it seems..

The check engine light came on.. I pulled over and looked at the car, it sounded off as it was a misfire and gasoline was coming out of the right exhaust port with smoke.. many people think it's a coil/sparkplug/injector that is not working properly..

Either way I might just sell this car.. i have already done so much and spent so much on it to make it right and it just keeps having problems and I really am very gentle with the bloody thing.. I mean if it can't take driving at WOT down the straights in 4th gear then what is the point of it? I can just buy a 996 TT or Gen 3 Viper or Exige S (if I want to stick w/ lotus) and be able to enjoy the car without the stress..

Just a real pain in the ass when I put so much time/effort/money into a car for it to continue having issues.. oh well.. at least it shows the gallardo's who's BOSS!!

Edited by mamovaka

• Gold FFM
...I can just buy a 996 TT or Gen 3 Viper or Exige S (if I want to stick w/ lotus) and be able to enjoy the car without the stress..

sounds like the typical lotus story ... :respect:

the day went not so well.. I took it very easy on the car so I didn't really do awesome on the track.. on the straights I gunned it a few times and I have some nice video footage of me and a Lamborghini Gallardo literally neck and neck at about 140 in the straights (yes my car is just as fast)!!!

Unfortunately I had to be towed home as there is white smoke coming from the right bank and the car is misfiring.. I am hoping this is something minor and the car is being looked at now..

This sounds like a collapsed CAT. If you still have the standard ECU then that would trigger the check engine light. If they are original CATs then a track day will cook them quite nicely so that is not too much of a surprise. It's disappointing because it shouldn't happen. The white smoke is another sign that I have seen metioned more than once with this type of failure and of course the misfire is also a symptom.

Did you find that it would rev to about 3500 - 4000 rpm and no higher?

The good news is that this is a fairly easy fix but it is more money. A friend of mine said that you should never replace anything that breaks, always upgrade. So look at this as an opportunity to further improve your car.

I think you have been particularly unlucky with the number of issues you have suffered, but each one you fix is one that shouldn't surprise you again for a while at least.

Don't give up on the Lotus you must be so close to having a very reliable one. :respect:

The cats are less than one year old, mangaflows.. the rpm's went high.. they didn't stop.. gasoline smell and white smoke abound though.. I have the Johan ECU and BTW I did do a ECU reboot two days ago.. plus he was unable to read the ECU w/ the computer last night.. no data.. odd..

For someone that (hand in the bible) barely does anything close to abuse with this car.. it's incredible how fragile it has proven to be. I did about 3 runs..each one lasting no longer than 10 minutes.. that is 30 minutes.. and I would say I was pushing the car 6/10ths.. except in the straights when I floored it in no lower than 3rd gear.. <-- this is really not abusive..

It's too bad too because if I did drive that car at 10/10th on the track it would have been one of the fastest cars there..

Edited by mamovaka

• Gold FFM
...was unable to read the ECU w/ the computer last night.. no data.. odd...

you cant stil not read the eprom?! :respect: Can you restart the Car, or is it mecanical imposible to crank/idle? :rofl:

As i was on the track in easter holidays some of the symtoms sound the same [white smoke in engine compartment and wheel area, check engine light, an automatical engine shut-down, no more than 4000revs/min ..] but it was an easier cause: white smoke ->only in fast corners -i wear no limited slip diff. ; check engine light+engine stop+ after restart unable to get higher than 4000/min -> simple cause: in normal use on road i wear European 91-Oktane fuel (ok its not the recomendet fuel, but for a daily driven car in the lower speed situation not so bad at all ...)

Problem was solved and was simple: The wires going into the engine were frayed.. and the #5 injector wasn't behaving properly.. all resolved in 10 minutes of fixing the wires.. car is running better than ever!!!

whew.. finally an inexpensive fix!

Problem was solved and was simple: The wires going into the engine were frayed.. and the #5 injector wasn't behaving properly.. all resolved in 10 minutes of fixing the wires.. car is running better than ever!!!

whew.. finally an inexpensive fix!

:unsure: That's good to hear. How did the wires get damaged?

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq

• Gold FFM
...resolved in 10 minutes of fixing the wires..whew.. finally an inexpensive fix!

Whow!; that's a good storry for a L.O.T.U.S.

You must be a lucky man!

:unsure: That's good to hear. How did the wires get damaged?

well doing a search I found this quote about this car from the previous owner

"Just before my #5 injector (US driver's side front) went bad the right bank was running rich to compensate. This was, in my case, due to a short in the wiring that took the #5 injector out, along with a failing idle air control valve and a failing coil pack.

"

After I got the ECU to respond I found that it was indeed a the same #5 injector, so I checked the wiring and there was the short again.. so thankfully it was the same wire that just came loose and I was able to repair it and a few other wires as well..

I am glad you didn`t have to pay an arm and a leg. I am starting to worry that something bad is going to happen to my Esprit in the future, so I am thinking about selling it. This is my second lotus, and I must say it requires a good income to have this car up and running. I haven`t quite decided yet, I might also keep it, but I am definetely going to buy a new car. I have my eyes on the 911/996 turbo, with the factory tunning ( called 9ff). The problem is that the damn thing is so fuc... loveable that I don`t want anyone else to have it. So it is somewhat of a dilema. Hmmmm....

NO PAIN, NO GAIN! THE ESPRIT IS LIKE YOUR HONEY, SHE`LL SPEND YOUR MONEY!!!