free hit
counters
I think I might want an Evora - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I think I might want an Evora

TrevS

Hi all

After not even contemplating any Lotus as a possible next car I now have 2 on my short list up against a Porsche 997.2 C4S. I'd started looking at S3 Exige's and hadn't really considered the Evora as I've never found them particularly desirable to look at until I saw a Evora S today in the flesh in Motorsport green. Car had black roof and side skirts and looked the business. The only area I wasn't too keen on was the nose which looks too thin and pointy but otherwise it looked spot on. So I've now added the Evora to my short list to go test drive but wondering what flavour I should be considering. I also have a 2 year old so the prospect of him sitting in the back is also appealing but how feasible is this?

I do have a few reservations though which are around quality and spec. The early non S cars look incredible value but how good/bad are they in terms of quality, particularly inside. Also what is the performance like and how would one compare with a 997 C4S? Were there significant upgrades in terms of performance and quality and is there a sweet spot in the range? Obviously a new GT 430 would be nice but I've got max budget really in the low £40k's so what would you go for?

Also if anyone has any experience of the Evora vs Porsche 997 I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on how they compare.

Thanks

Trev

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have a read through my long term tests Trevor (they're ordered newest to oldest so you might want to start at the bottom!). 

https://www.thelotusforums.com/category/latest-news/long-term-tests/

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I had a Maserati 3200 for 10 years and thought I’d change it for a 997 but after seeing and test driving a few, I thought I’d revisit my shortlist - they drove easily and beautifully but the running costs were huge and they felt a bit tame and mainstream. I bought the first evora I went to see - driving it felt like an occasion and the radium intake it had put a smile on my face. 

Mine is a launch edition in canyon red and I love it. My 9 year old daughter told me I had to buy it on the test drive because she thought it was so much fun. Overall I’d say it’s not as refined as a 997 but it drives more precisely with more steering feel and it makes you feel special when you climb into it. Surely that’s the point with this kind of car?

As a bonus, it’s  also much cheaper to run and enjoy than the opposition...

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Hi Trev

i am now six months into my lotus Evora ownership and despite some niggles with a couple of issues I am still smiling every time I drive my red 10 plates NA Evora 

I did a test drive in 997 and boxster S also M3 , looked at slk55 too but in the end Evora won over in looks drive and rarity ( not in order) 

if you have 40k budget you should come along a very decent car ! I had a sub £30k so had to look hard and long 

there’s a hundred of threads which have been contributed about Evora ownership take your time to read these but in the end you need to get yourself down to some garages to carry out test drive !

in the end your choice and that of what you need your car to do in terms of tick boxes 

good luck Clive 

Go test drive one sir.

I expect your next issue will be waiting for the right spec car to come up. Your budget should stretch to one of the last series1 cars. (The best ones ;) )

I have been a serial Lotus owner... having had the pleasure of owning almost every version on Elise/Exige over the past 20 years! 

Stepped 'UP' into a MY14 N/A Evora Sports Racer a few months ago... my BEST Lotus ever! Amazing drive, quiet (or loud!), quick, comfortable, DNA Lotus handling, great looks, super classy interior (IMHO, better than the 400/410/430), the perfect Lotus actually. 

Despite subsequent drives of those 'faster' machines, I do agree that the last S1's were indeed the best!

Good luck with your search :>) Your budget will get you a great car! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

I know I want one......

someone needs to invent a Lotus vaccine 

Or a Lotus influenza so once we've had it we don't want to get it again..................

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

7 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

I know I want one......

someone needs to invent a Lotus vaccine 

Its like the flu, it wouldn't matter if there was a Vaccine the virus mutates into a newer stronger strain! Ive had lotuses on and off over the last 40 years, it is incurable. W.H.O. ( World Health Organisation) should to register it, as such.

• Like 1

Children in the back is completely feasible but does depend on how tall and long-legged the front passengers are.  It's one of the few areas where being a bit shorter than average helps!  I'm 5'8" and have the seat on the front-most seat adjustment and my wife is the same.  This maximises rear legroom and we can still just manage to go out as a family with 12- and 16-year old daughters in the back.  If you're a bit taller then you should check on a test drive about child seat fit versus seat position.

There are several child seats which work in the back, from rear-facing baby seats from birth up to booster seats for the teens.  My youngest can get car sick in our family wagon but has no problems in the Evora - she likes the slightly raised rear seat and being able to look out of the small rear window from her secret den.  They also both like the reaction from passers-by when they appear from the rear seats, as most people assume it's a 2-seater.  I did have to tick off the youth who exclaimed "where the f*** did they come from" loudly in front of them though :) 

• Haha 1

My daughter is 3 and fits well in the back behind my wife. The wife is 5’5 and her feet don’t even get to the foot rest when the seat is as forward as possible.

my daughter is still I. Her big car seat cat 1 so takes more space and that mean my wife cannot recline the seat too much although she is still comfortable. Once we move to a cat 2 it looks like it will be much more comfortable.

8-12 years old is ideal as they don’t need a booster or anything. I have been to bicester (1.5h) with a mate in the front seat, his 9 year old son and my father in law (ok, he is 5’4) behind and everyone was comfortable.

officially there is a tiny bit more room in the 400 but based on comments it doesn’t look like it real.

cant really see a case where you would not enjoy the Evora more than the 997 so you should really follow your heart, no need to rationalize.

• Like 1

You simply have to drive one, once you do then I think you will find the decision easy. Yes the fit and finish inside the cars is nothing like a Porsche for the same money but...

The Evora has way more curb appeal, and once you are hurtling along A roads with a huge grin on your face, those little interior niggles fade away completely.

With regards to the space in the back. As others here will know I have three kids (11, 12 and 14) and we manage 30/40 minute journeys with no problems. It’s a practical 2+2 and in the back the side pockets even act as cup holders!

What Nathan said. Go try.

NA Vs S. NA is cheaper to run (tax, fuel) and in a sprint just as fast (it's lighter). S has more torque so more puncher lower down the revs but that same as the top. So really depends if you want that.

It looks like a mini super car which is fun. TBH I wasn't particularly keen in the Evora looks either. But a love it now. 

Absolutely been and done discussing comparisons - huge amount on here - but do look carefully into NA/S and the "short" (now standard) vs the "long" (some older cars only) gearbox.  Your views are what matter for you, not mine.

PS: The Radium intake on an NA transformed it for me (and others said so here), but hard to get hold of now I think.

Nathan nailed it, really.  Best car I've ever driven and I've tried/owned lots of nice (mainly German: Audi/BMW/Porsche) cars. Everyone loves seeing it, too.

They're all fantastic, but even the "lowly" NA beat the 997.1 GT3, Noble M600 and Lamborghini Huracan in EVO Car of the Year 2009........

I even like the long-ratio gearbox.

p.s. I got rid of my Radium intake (too loud for me) 😀 Sports exhaust fine.

• Like 1

I echo the comments above regarding Evora N/A vs 997, I also tried a Vantage V8.  The Evora doesn't have the same interior quality but it is still a very comfortable and nice place to be.  The Aston had better interior build quality but looked dated, Porsche best of both worlds.  Neither the Porsche or the Aston could complete on driving feel and handling.  The Evora just felt so light and nimble with lots of feedback through the steering wheel.  The suspension on the Evora is much better than the others; they were a lot stiffer and harsh over bumps.  The softer, smoother Evora flowed over the bumps much better than I was expecting.

• Gold FFM
On 21/07/2018 at 12:52, bosshog said:

What Nathan said. Go try.

NA Vs S. NA is cheaper to run (tax, fuel) and in a sprint just as fast (it's lighter). S has more torque so more puncher lower down the revs but that same as the top. So really depends if you want that.

It looks like a mini super car which is fun. TBH I wasn't particularly keen in the Evora looks either. But a love it now. 

For what it’s worth the IPS Evora S is £329 to tax, the auto box brings it down a peg which was a nice surprise for me when I went to pay 🙂

I took mine round to see one of my good friends the other day, he’s a Ford but really (through and through) and even he had to admit ir was damn nice to look at in the flesh, way more comfortable than he was expecting and better sounding than his Porsche...

I can only echo above posts - drive one, drive a few actually(!) in the used market there can be a few differences now due to mods so worth getting a feel for them and then when the right one comes along for you....wham! Haha

Thanks for all the comments, I am currently on holiday so have been doing a bit of reading and the more I look at the evora the more they appeal. There was actually a perfect spec 997.2 c4s that’s just come up for sale but at £52k I am starting to think the lotus is somewhat of a bargain.

It’s also interesting to hear the comparisons between the V8 Vantage. That was actually my previous car. I loved the way it looked, sounded and just how special it felt, something I think the Porsche won’t be able to match. But I really want a set of rear seats and the bigger Aston’s like Db9, virage and rapide don’t float my boat. I’d love a Vanquish but they are big money so Evora could well be a good choice as something exciting to look at and with the ability to carry the family. 

Spec wise I like the sports racers as I like the black pack options and seems to offer good spec level etc. However colour would have to be motorsport green. Is there any way to know how many green cars were produced?

Trev

You're in a similar position as I was a few weeks ago.

I've come from various 2 seat sports cars, but with 2 young sons I rarely used them. There are unfortunately few 4 seat cars that are still fast/nimble/look good. I chose a Carbon Grey Evora S, but like you preferred the sports racer look so have had the roof and sills/splitter wrapped black. Mine is a MY11, but the gear change is good (not sure if down to new linkage a few years ago or not) and the interior is a nice snug place to be, even the hifi with some fiddling is not as bad as you expect. From everything I've read, as I'm sure you have, post MY12 cars are regarded more highly but I could not find one that I thought was worth the extra initial cost. Both tech and premium packs are worth spending a bit extra if you can. 

I have rarely been so pleased with a car choice, it ticks every box I was after. It drives amazingly and is undeniably more interesting and rarer than any Porsche (997.2 C2S was on my list, as was an older R35). Thumbs up from people rather than awkward stares.

(first post on here after many an hour reading advice - I need to drop in on the "introductions" and say hi properly!)

• Like 2