free hit
counters
wheel weight Evora 410 Sport 2017? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

wheel weight Evora 410 Sport 2017?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Isn´t this the Lotus forums? It is all about weight and performance I thought? Nobody weighs relevant parts to check if improvement is possible?
I bet when building a competitive road bike you would do 🙂 there is no difference to cars.

Your question was specific to a 2017 Evora 410 sport. I doubt if many owners exist, yet alone have taken the trouble to remove a wheel, then remove a tyre and then weigh the wheel, and then repeat the exercise for both the front and the rear.

unfortunately Lotus have never been forthcoming about part weights.

Excellent. Thank you.

I am happy with the total weight: rim + TPMS + Michelin Cup2 tires. That is enaugh.
Lotus only told officially to me - more lightweight than standard but they wont sell that wheel to any Evora 400 or Evora S user as the max. load is calculated for the Evora 410 2 seater only. 

• Gold FFM

Even finding accurate figures from Lotus about the weight of the "normal" tyres is tricky.

I don't know if anyone has actually weighed their Evora 410/430 either - to see what the real weight saving over a 400 is

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

7.2 kg saving in total.  400 wheels are Fronts are 9.5kg , Rear 11.4kg. No idea what the breakdown of the 7.2 is but that’s 30 secs sleuthing on the inter web .

Oh and btw weight a wheel on a pushbike ....vs a car.....little bit of difference

Black n gold

12 minutes ago, Stubox said:

7.2 kg saving in total.  400 wheels are Fronts are 9.5kg , Rear 11.4kg. No idea what the breakdown of the 7.2 is but that’s 30 secs sleuthing on the inter web .

Oh and btw weight a wheel on a pushbike ....vs a car.....little bit of difference

The same internet has Lotus stating that the 400 wheels are 3.3kg lighter than the previous model.

"Finally, lightweight forged aluminium wheels, 19” on the front and 20” on the rear, are 3.3 kg lighter than the forged wheels on the previous Evora and are now shod with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres (235/35x19 91Y front; 285/30x20 99Y rear), which not only increase vehicle stability and grip levels but also enhance the overall quality of the class-leading dynamics package."

5 minutes ago, Bruss said:

The same internet has Lotus stating that the 400 wheels are 3.3kg lighter than the previous model.

"Finally, lightweight forged aluminium wheels, 19” on the front and 20” on the rear, are 3.3 kg lighter than the forged wheels on the previous Evora and are now shod with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres (235/35x19 91Y front; 285/30x20 99Y rear), which not only increase vehicle stability and grip levels but also enhance the overall quality of the class-leading dynamics package."

Only one solution....a public flogging of the PR department and then for someone to weigh them properly.

Black n gold

1 hour ago, Bruss said:

It gets worse the 430 lightweight forged aluminium wheels add weight

"larger wheels and tyres (+5 kg)" 

What!......I have raised a militia and am marching on hethel......men are dropping fast due to dehydration in the extreme heat some losing their own body weight in fluids....but at least they’re dying in the lotus way

meanwhile an unpredictable source has said 1.8kg each front and 2kg each rear. He was later found dead under several tons of overripe sugar beet. Just for clarity the sugar beet was not accurately weighed.

Black n gold

I have all the basic wheel weights - just this special 410 is missing.
The 430 is not of big interest for me as it is a simple design and very cost effective on the production and therefore not ideally lightweight.
Front and rear and size is 19x8 and 20x10,5 rear which makes the rear really heavy compared to standard.

wheel/rim weights in kg:
Evora (S) Lotus original forged 19x8 and 20x9,5
Front 10,15 measured
Rear 12,1 measured

Evora 400 original forged 19x8 and 20x9,5
Front 9,5 said, 9,5 measured 
Rear 10,5 said, 11,1 measured

Evora 410 Lotus super lite forged 19x8 and 20x9,5
Front ???
Rear ???
These do not accept all Evora max loads, Lotus will sell only to certified owners of Evora 410 two seater I was told by Lotus in 2017.

Our Leitspeeds are 19x8 and 20x9,5
Front 7,95 @ 380 kg max load homologated*
Rear 9,5 @ 600 kg max load homologated*

*German TÜV tested and homologated for use on German streets
TÜV accepts the wheel for all Evora S, 400, 410 Sport, 430 GTS, 410GT max loads with downforce
- except the 430 two seater in Germany only - but the wheel withstands higher loads so outside of Germany the GT 430 can use the Leitspeeds too - and there it is a huge difference in handling.
The max downforce is in area wich you might reach on the German Autobahn but not on a racetrack. Not even the Nordschleife long straight.

As I have all the exact weights for the Michelin different tires  and TPMS valves I am happy if someone can simple measure a Evora 410 front and rear wheel.

Edited by Steffen_Leitgeb-LSWGmbh

8 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

I have it on good authority that the 410 weights are as follows: 

Front 9kg

Rear 10.5kg

Okay. This is really a fully credible information? No guess work involved?
Then the weight reduction of the press release was compared to the casted wheels and not the forged ones. 

Thank you 🙂

@Steffen_Leitgeb-LSWGmbh Well done! That is an achievement in weight reduction.

I have an 2012 S, so roughly calculated the reduction is (4.4+5.2)*6 = 57.6KG felt reduction... if you estimate  a 1:6 factor to be applied when the car is moving and that weight becomes mass...  Think one can feel a difference 😉

For the few who know the difference

18/19 forged: 

Front 9.5 kg Rear 12.0 kg

18/19 cast silver/stealt:

Front 10.4kg Rear 12.6kg

• Like 2
For the few who know the difference

16 hours ago, AK70 said:

@Steffen_Leitgeb-LSWGmbh Well done! That is an achievement in weight reduction.

I have an 2012 S, so roughly calculated the reduction is (4.4+5.2)*6 = 57.6KG felt reduction... if you estimate  a 1:6 factor to be applied when the car is moving and that weight becomes mass...  Think one can feel a difference 😉

Yes. Exactly. Thank you. Perfect. My old car has changed really. The Evora S is now really quick and steers even better. 

If has one has an Evora 400 and compares a full titanium exhaust with lightweight wheels (approx same cost of 5k and approx the same reduction of 5,5 kg) the wheels are the more clever investment because the weight reduction counts several times: it is reduction of 
- unsprung mass -> better comfort, better tire grip, less wear
- rotational mass -> better acceleration and deceleration, better cornering
- total mass -> better of everything according to Chapman

Wheel weight reduction is the most easy and best solution to optimise even a Lotus.
Not really cheap but highly effective.

The exhaust´s weight reduction f. ex. counts once into total mass and as it is also located near the center of gravity of the total car you don´t feel a real difference in handling. 
But even if lightweight wheels are technically sound … they still do not sound as good as a titanium exhaust! 😉

Now there is a new opportunity für Evora drivers to decide here.
Why don´t take both and have a much better car afterwards?

Good addition. Interesting.

But why did you go for 18" front and rear?
Clearly the rotational mass is better as the rim is more centered.
But according to magazine tests and also Michelin statements grooved tires (even Cup 2) do need a stiff wheel system (tire+wheel) for best handling and traction.
That is why I never took 18/19 into consideration while development after the Michelin discussions.
It is completely different with slick tires, here the whole system can use more flexibility to put more rubber on the road under dynamic pressure.

Does anyone else drive BC Forged? 19/20?