free hit
counters
Direct replacement door speakers - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi, I have a 2013 Evora which is great and pretty much niggle-free (2 months and over 2000 miles in), but it does have a damaged passenger door speaker. It looks like the edge of the cone has rolled over and it distorts and crackles. My car is a Sports Racer which includes the Tech Pack.

Could anyone help me and point me towards some decent direct replacement speakers? I'm not an ICE aficionado by any means and I'm not interested in changing wires or connectors but if anyone could recommend a good off-the-shelf speaker which will drop straight in that would be fantastic.

My head unit is the  Alpine INE-W920R.

Cheers

PS If anyone knows a setting for the head unit which makes it auto-adjust its volume with ambient noise that would be great too. I can't find it anywhere in the manual, I'd assumed all decent systems had this feature these days.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I didn't even know that head units came with that feature? I suppose cassettes are gone now as well?

Oddly enough in my experience there aren't actually that many that have this feature, despite it being such a useful thing to have. 

If you don't care much for the audio but just want to replace what's there, a trip to Halfords to get the right size one (width & depth) would do the trick. Otherwise, a direct replacement from Lotus is either the Alpine LUK_SB01B or Alpine LUK_WG01 if you have the tech pack. 

Thanks guys. I found info on the OEM speakers but it seems to a shame to buy those when I can almost certainly get better sounding ones for less!

Interesting about being “paired”, what does this mean in practice? I’ve no desire to change crossovers and tweeters.

Shame there is no auto volume control, it would have been very easy to add given the head unit has an external mic. I think Ford were the first to bring it to the mass market in the late 90’s. My 2008 Scirocco had it.

I’m pretty sure that noise adjusting headunits don’t use a microphone, they need a speed input from the ECU. The Evora loom/ECU obviously doesn’t provide this feed. 

I’ve got a full set of stock speakers cluttering up my garage. If you are interested. 

Left over from a full audio upgrade of my LE  

Tris...

@LotusLeftLotusRight - Hah! Maybe.

@Tris... - I'm interested! From what I read the Tech Pack speakers didn't change throughout the run, so that would be a good fix as I'm not sure what easily compatible upgrades there are. Message me with what you'd want for one?

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 22:00, Giveitfish said:

Thanks guys. I found info on the OEM speakers but it seems to a shame to buy those when I can almost certainly get better sounding ones for less!

Interesting about being “paired”, what does this mean in practice? I’ve no desire to change crossovers and tweeters.

Shame there is no auto volume control, it would have been very easy to add given the head unit has an external mic. I think Ford were the first to bring it to the mass market in the late 90’s. My 2008 Scirocco had it.

The normal sound system consists of an output from the head unit that goes to a loudspeaker. That loudspeaker handles a range of frequencies. A good strereo speaker has a mid frequency part, plus a high frequency part - the tweeter, all in one unit. The frequencies are split between the two by a speaker mounted crossover - ie the single loudspeaker is two speakers and a crossover.

In better systems these parts are separate, as in even the base Evoras. The output goes from the head unit to a separate crossover that splits the frequencies and sends them on to a separate tweeter and a separate mid range unit. THOSE THREE SEPERATE PARTS ARE A MATCHED SET.  You can replace any one part of that set, such as the door mounted mid range speaker, but it may or may not be a good match for the tweeter and crossover. Better to replace the set if you are looking for an upgrade to the sound.

I see, thanks for that. Hopefully a like-for-like OEM speaker would be within tolerance so looks like I’ll go that way.

On 25/07/2018 at 21:14, Bravo73 said:

I’m pretty sure that noise adjusting headunits don’t use a microphone, they need a speed input from the ECU. The Evora loom/ECU obviously doesn’t provide this feed. 

FWIW Both my old S and my current 400 both had a speed input into the head unit and have verfied it works with my Pioneer head unit, I had to re wire the loom to the radio and according to my notes the wire was yellow/pink.

DBD4D8D8-B9DE-4C3A-B9D0-F37D95FBBC66.jpeg

I've just done a speaker upgrade on my 2010 Tech pack car using the Focal PS165 kit.  Comes with 2 door speakers (perfect fit) and 2 tweeters that just push in.  Also replaced the crossovers with the ones from the focal kit and that was the worst bit as you have to take the door sill covers off.  Well worth doing though!  See Jevansio's earlier thread:

Thanks, I'd already checked out your thread - that's too much DIY for me though, I want to dismantle the smallest amount possible!