Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Waving and/or giving a thumbs up - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Waving and/or giving a thumbs up

An etiquette question - I'm new to Lotus ownership, although have owned a VX200T many years ago. I've only had an Evora for 3 weeks, been dying to see another so I can give a dumb-ass big smile and cheery thumbs up to one coming in the other direction. Looking at the numbers on the road in the country, despite my exuberance, that is unlikely to happen more then once per year if I'm lucky.

So...the question is.. after passing/faced this past week a few Elise's who ignored my 'thumbs-up' or "wave" that I was quietly (but subtlety and nay, desperately trying to say "WE BOTH HAVE LOTI, WE KNOW MORE THAN THE OTHER'S WHO ARE MORONS!") saying "hi!" to them. Is the evora regarded differently compared to more hard-core Lotus cars, or are we still in one big happy family? My old Land Rover creates waves of despair/passion every time you pass another.

Am I missing a hierarchy here? Or should I continue the brand loyalty and general "we're in this together/blimey, we are driving the best cars on the road" feeling?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I always wave at other lotus owners, and apart from one grumpy old git with an S1 Elise (must've been a the playground member) a few weeks ago i've always got a wave back. Haven't noticed anything different in the 400, although to be fair 400s are common as muck in Colchester! 

• Gold FFM

I'm a 'Wave at any car that interests me" kind of person as well. So it could be an old FJ Holden or a newer sports car. In 8 years in Geelong though, I have seen only one Elise and one Exige. Neither time was I in mine and I wasn't in a position to wave to either. Other than that, 1 Gallardo.

Have seen a Ferrari a few times while I was driving down the Coast Road to Lorne. Waved. He has never waved back. Pratt.

Saw a bunch of different Loti and a DeLorean, but that was on a drive with the Melbourne Lotus Club. I am absolutely sure that I have the only Esprit in Geelong. That's in a population of 196,000.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

If I'm in a Lotus I wave at other Lotus cars and other classics. if I'm in my Peugeot I don't.

My Esprit is recognisable to all Lotus owners and I nearly always wave back. The Excel is recognisable to all classic owners, but not so much to some of the modern Lotus owners, although strangely Evora owners seem to recognise it. I'd say I get a wave back from about 50% of Elise/Exiges.

I always give a wave or flash of the headlights on the rare occasion I might see another Lotus on the road and usually get one back. In fact I've been known to do so before now and think miserable sod if I don't get one back, only to then realise I'm in the daily, so they wouldn't have even noticed me! :wallbash::rofl:

If I ever see a Lotus I wave.........it is a rare occurrence.........

and I always get a wave back from the driver.....unless its an Elise....then its about 50/50 as to whether I do or dont get a response........dunno why

• Like 2

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

• Gold FFM

My experience precisely!

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

I always wave at any Lotus.

The Lotus drivers expression though is usually a confused ‘who’s this dickhead driving a Mini’ waving at me lol 😂 

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM

I always wave at a Lotus or flash my lights if I am in the Elise - Evoras definitely included. I don't flash the lights in the Esprit - they have usually got half a mile past me by the time the lights come up!

• Haha 1

I have yet to see a Lotus whilst driving mine, I'm in pickup truck/SUV country.  I'll give a small wave to any collector car.

I'll give give a wave/light flash to another Lotus, plus any other interesting British sportscar - Caterham, Morgan etc.. Gave a wave to a McLaren the other week and got a wave back which was nice :)

I usually wave to what I consider "same cars", with varying success.

Recently, I waved unsuccessfully from my Evora to a German registered Lotus Elan +2. He would not even look. Maybe he was lost and looking for directions...or thought I was driving a Lamborghini.

The best reaction I got so far was from an Elan M100. When we came across each other, the passenger almost jumped over the windscreen to say hi. We thought the guy was going to leave the car. My sons couldn't stop laughing.

It is also funny how often I get waved back when I am on my Mx-5. That car has the highest rate of "wave success" I have seen so far, and from very diverse drivers. High numbers on the road help too, I guess.

I've had waves from drivers of McLarens, Ferrari's and even a Porkpie 911!

I genuinely wave to owners of what i consider to be fanatics cars - so Mclaren, Ferrari, Lambo, Classic cars, etc.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

On 25/07/2018 at 12:18, Gashead1105 said:

I always wave at other lotus owners, and apart from one grumpy old git with an S1 Elise (must've been a the playground member) a few weeks ago i've always got a wave back. Haven't noticed anything different in the 400, although to be fair 400s are common as muck in Colchester! 

The question is whether you wave with all fingers when you see the grumpy old git?

I usually wave at interesting cars and generally get a wave back. Except of the fellow (another grumpy old git?) in a TR3 who studiously ignored me a couple of weeks ago.

Mike

'97 V8

'73 Europa TC

'10 Elise SC