free hit
counters
Help me make my mind up! - Page 4 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Help me make my mind up!

Relic222

Thank you all for the answers and compliments, I'll disable the locking feature this morning, glad it's as simple as holding the button! I'll also drop Hofmanns an email about the cluster. Sounds like it's going to be pretty expensive though, so I'll probably wait on that for a bit. Will also enquire with some local garages about the AC. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Hi

i assume you got your via private seller ?

i guess you investigated all aspects and know exactly what kind of car you are purchasing 

it’s lovely and eye catching Evora and you will enjoy it every time you are on the road.

just remember the lotus ownership is unique but an experience ! Lol

i am taking my car on a little road trip in Cotswold and Bath over the next few days , first trip in the car in the 6 months of ownership. 

However it’s little nervous as my partner doesn’t like the car and is not a good passenger hates speed although ironically she just had speeding ticket and been on the course last week so very evangelical about speed !!!  

Enjoy the car ! 👍🏻

Glad you managed to find something suitable Pat - looks lovely.  Did you go LR or CR gearbox in the end?

Aircon can stop working due to error triggered bu belt slip but that would be accompanied by a warning light on the dash, so doesn't sound like that.

Thanks. It's a launch edition, which I believe were all LR boxes. That suits me quite well, because it'll be my daily driver (when I'm not on the bike) and I managed to average 34mpg round trip yesterday which is better than my TTS used to get. Second gear seems to go pretty high, and on my fun drive it seemed perfectly fine. On a track where you can go above 80mph more frequently I could see the CR being better. 

Yeah the AC 'works' in that it's blowing air at me and there are no warnings, it's just that it's not cooling it, so hopefully just needs a re-gas. Booked it in on Saturday, so will know more after that. 

Congrats on the car. My personal opinion is neither the short or long range box is ideal. I'd like a slightly shorter second (which neither of them have), a shorter third would be nice, but I def couldn't live with the sixth being the same as the current fourth as per the SR box (especially with our long distances travelled here). 

When playing around the back roads a shorter second would definitely be nice - giving you a bit more to do, however, when I went for my first overtake this morning I have to say I'm glad it's as long as it is - after driving an automatic for almost 3 years I've got used to letting the car change up at the red line so almost ran into the limiter before waking up and changing to third 😅 Fortunately by that point I was already past the car and back in my lane.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 years later...
On 29/07/2018 at 19:10, Relic222 said:

Hi all, I'm in desperate need of help making a head over heart decision! 

A bit of background - I've just sold my Audi TTS, which I really enjoyed, but recently I started pining for something more involving. I passed my motorbike test mid last year and have been using that for the commute on most days, so my car mileage has dropped drastically, opening up the potential for more fun cars. 

I spent this weekend testing a few options - E92 M3, AM Vantage, NA Evora and an ND MX5. I was hoping that one car would stand out as the obvious winner, but unfortunately for me, two did! My thoughts on the cars:

M3 - the car I tried was in lovely condition, and after stepping out after the test drive I thought 'you know what, this could be it'. I have a 4 month old child, so the 4 door saloon with decent boot appealed, it was quick, handled well and looked good. I didn't like the gearbox, it was very notchy which was a bit cumbersome at low speeds. Still, my mileage would be limited so that might not be a big issue. 

Then I tried the Aston, and I realised that the M3 wasn't what I wanted at all. The M3 was quicker, but when you drive the Aston you just don't care, a calm comes over you and you just enjoy the experience. Where I was flooring it and changing at the red line on the M3, I was relatively cruising in the AM and enjoying the experience far more. In the M3 I felt like I had something to prove, in the AM I didn't. However... It's not the right time for an AM in my life - the car will be parked on a fairly narrow driveway, and if I got an Aston I'd want it to be in a garage, so it remains top of my list of 'future cars', but won't be my current car. 

I then went to try the grey LE at Hofmann's. I've seen plenty of compliments of Hofmann's on this forum, and I'd like to add another - Chris was by far the most knowledgeable of the salesmen I dealt with, and I had a great chat with him on the test drive. And the car? Wow, this was what I was after. Where the M3 is fast, but not special for me, the Evora just felt right - the handling was insanely accurate, the suspension so comfortable, but also so composed in the corners. It wasn't as compromised as I'd thought, the interior was comfortable and spacious enough for me, the boot was bigger than it looked in photos and it has rear seats which down the line could be useful for my son. I wasn't that keen about the offset pedals, but I'm sure I'd get used to that. My main question mark is about reliability, however after getting out, it was hands down the winner over the M3. 

And onto the wildcard... A 2016 MX5. At half the price of the other cars you might think it doesn't belong on the list, but for pure driving enjoyment the MX5 is fantastic. I really like the looks of the car, the gearbox was lovely, the engine feels far more powerful than it is and it's rear wheel drive. I drove it in the wet today, with the roof up, and it was still great fun. 

And here in is the problem. After driving the first 3 cars, I thought I'd decided what to do - the Evora ticked all the boxes, but the little Mazda impressed me, and my head is saying 'think of how much you'd save'. Mazda reliability is great, the car does 40mpg and cost of repairs will be relatively cheap compared to the others, not to mention tax and insurance. All day I've been flitting between the two - heart wants the Evora, head wants the Mazda. 

As mentioned before, my main unknown is over the reliability of the Evora, everyone that you speak to says the usual 'lots of trouble, usually serious' comment, or says something about electronics etc. The problem is, none of them have actually owned an Evora, they're just going by hear say. So could you guys shed some light on it - how expensive are Evoras to own? How likely are they to fail, and what should I be looking out for? 

Ideally I'd be looking for a sub £30k car, so it would be an earlier model. I've got my heart set on a laser blue car with the cream interior, though I'm not sure how often they turn up on the market so may need to compromise. 

Anyway, sorry for the long post, if you've made it this far, then we'll done! I just need to convince my head that it's the right choice. 

Not sure if you still own the car or not, what’s the rear space of the Evora like compared to the Audi TTS.

I had a mk2 and just wanted to compare as with 4ft8 and 4ft3 kids

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2021 at 00:17, Celica said:

Not sure if you still own the car or not, what’s the rear space of the Evora like compared to the Audi TTS.

I had a mk2 and just wanted to compare as with 4ft8 and 4ft3 kids

Hi @Celica, yes, I still have my Evora and still love it. Rear seat space is probably similar to the TT - there's a lot of legroom in the front passenger seat, so my wife can have the seat quite far forward, leaving enough space behind her for a small person to sit, however there isn't really any legroom behind me, and I don't even have my seat all the way back.

My son is still in a car seat, and we can put that in the rear seat, but I tend to take the rear seats out to give an extra few centimetres. Usually it's just me and him that go out, so he usually goes in the front seat instead. 

In reality I'd say you'd probably struggle if you're planning on taking four people (two adults in the front and your kids in the back) but it would be absolutely fine for you and your two kids. 

In terms of headroom, it should be fine for your kids - my wife has sat in the back a couple of times when we had a rear facing car seat, and while it wasn't a comfortable experience it was tolerable - she's 5'4" for reference. 

As I said earlier, I still love my Evora, and would definitely recommend test driving one. 

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

As Relic222 comments 

my daughter has been using the back she now nearly 10 can still fit but prefers to sit in front when it’s just two of us 

I think the rear seats are confined to passengers under 5 feet in relative comfort for shorter journey 5’2 or so but I had my son who close to 6feet in back for a very short journey  

• Like 1

I drove from north London to Bicester with my father in law in the back and got no complaint. 

That works well if your father in law is 5 feet tall. I am 6f2 so need the seat a bit back and that is usually the bigger issue. My wife passenger seat is fully to the front and she still has spare room, too bad they didn’t allow for an extra click forward as that would have been better for the back passenger. Often need people to angle their legs.

• Like 1