free hit
counters
Busted rear lower arm bush - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Noted, that's why the SJ tool will work I reckon. Anyway, we glued 2 PE pipes together and machined down the interior... pardon the pics... cost about £5??? cheap enough and it worked.. all bushe

OK ... so apparently it helps if you drink beer (from a bottle, not a can) ....  

Might take quite a few attempts, though........

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

Pressed mine in no issue. Be brave. They will twist initially but will become straight. 

It is not what you would do with a rubber bush as they would split.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Good move.  I wouldn't dream of doing them without a properly machined insertion tool.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

Good move.  I wouldn't dream of doing them without a properly machined insertion tool.

You mean like the one I machined up and gave you, never to be seen again? You’ll be telling me next it’s in the post, or something.

Margate Exotics.

11 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Dunno why they’re searching the universe for a black hole, there’s one right here in a garage in Watford!

You are giving away Sparkys trade secrets ,  You should of attached a return spring to it lol

A

If you're shelling out £50 each for Lotac bushes then an extra £70 for the correct kit to insert them is a drop in the ocean.

As supplied by SJ sportscars,  DSC_0447.thumb.JPG.d20eac96a09a9d7aaaf7d07d72c97396.JPGDSC_0450.thumb.JPG.b576dac556b71e79033dc199077fe3b7.JPG

DSC_0449.JPG

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Actually, you can severely damage the bushes if you don't use an insertion tool.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Difficult to say!  Change in compliance, early failure - might not manifest for some time...

2 hours ago, sailorbob said:

Just make sure it is the correct lubricant (e.g. P80 emulsion) and not something like copper grease.

Now you say...

10 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

If you're shelling out £50 each for Lotac bushes then an extra £70 for the correct kit to insert them is a drop in the ocean.

As supplied by SJ sportscars,  DSC_0447.thumb.JPG.d20eac96a09a9d7aaaf7d07d72c97396.JPGDSC_0450.thumb.JPG.b576dac556b71e79033dc199077fe3b7.JPG

DSC_0449.JPG

Isn't the one sold by SJ for the wishbone bush?

if I am not wrong the diameter of the hole is not really correct?

When I fitted new bushes to my car, I decided there was no way they would fit without a guide sleeve*, so I machined one up. They pressed in perfectly that way, with no danger of damage to the bush, or the person pressing them in. I can't remember what lubricant I used, though.

*Now in Watford. Allegedly.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

The insert tool illustrated above, needs a flange or suitable thick washer so as to push on the red part of the bush at the same time .. This will prevent over stressing the insert or ripping it out on insertion...   The lubricant should be of a type that dissipates after fitting so the polly can grip the out sleeve.. Failure to do this will result in the bush slipping in the arm .  This will cause the suspension to not function as designed a wear prematurely.    I hate to say it steveV8  but using copper slip was about the worst thing you could have used...   It may be a real pain but the best thing you could do is remove them all, clean with very strong detergent and refit using something more suitable  like WD40..