free hit
counters
Busted rear lower arm bush - Page 3 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

@hspeck forward front lower wishbone bushes are the same (29G) as the eight rears from '85 on, front pivot bushes are simple press in sleeves prior to '98, 2 part conical thereafter.

Screenshot_2018-08-13-08-25-13.thumb.png.e78c8bb3372187cc816c71bbc419d102.png

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Noted, that's why the SJ tool will work I reckon. Anyway, we glued 2 PE pipes together and machined down the interior... pardon the pics... cost about £5??? cheap enough and it worked.. all bushe

OK ... so apparently it helps if you drink beer (from a bottle, not a can) ....  

Might take quite a few attempts, though........

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, CHANGES said:

The insert tool illustrated above, needs a flange or suitable thick washer so as to push on the red part of the bush at the same time .. This will prevent over stressing the insert or ripping it out on insertion...   The lubricant should be of a type that dissipates after fitting so the polly can grip the out sleeve.. Failure to do this will result in the bush slipping in the arm .  This will cause the suspension to not function as designed a wear prematurely.    I hate to say it steveV8  but using copper slip was about the worst thing you could have used...   It may be a real pain but the best thing you could do is remove them all, clean with very strong detergent and refit using something more suitable  like WD40..    

Thanks Dave, I reckon I've read 100 threads on this forum all recommending copious amounts of copper grease to install those little buggers, as soon as I fit mine it's wrong.

If I intended to track the car I'd certainly take your advice and pull them back out, but I won't be, so now they're in they're staying in, I think there's more chance of damage by keeping pushing them in and out, but I will keep a close eye on them.

Steve 

2 minutes ago, Steve V8 said:

Thanks Dave, I reckon I've read 100 threads on this forum all recommending copious amounts of copper grease to install those little buggers, as soon as I fit mine it's wrong.

If I intended to track the car I'd certainly take your advice and pull them back out, but I won't be, so now they're in they're staying in, I think there's more chance of damage by keeping pushing them in and out, but I will keep a close eye on them.

Steve 

That's the problem with forums..   Keen ametures that do it their way without asking a professional or the manufacturers and then post for all other budding ametures  to follow..   

As you have so much copper slip on them , i doubt you will have much issue pushing them out with the correct tooling.. leaving them as is is up to you , but be aware your arms will slip on the bush where the copper slip is .. Ask yourself is this correct.. An easy test is to disconnect one end, then move up and down .. it should resist the movement and flex the bush.. which is why they are only torqued up at the correct ride height..  The bush is an active part of the suspensions resistance, all part of what makes it work so well ..   

Very few professional go on forums .... but on hear we have a few prominent members who fit that position ..  it is always worth asking them before hand if not sure...       

• Like 1
19 hours ago, CHANGES said:

The insert tool illustrated above, needs a flange or suitable thick washer so as to push on the red part of the bush at the same time .. This will prevent over stressing the insert or ripping it out on insertion...   The lubricant should be of a type that dissipates after fitting so the polly can grip the out sleeve.. Failure to do this will result in the bush slipping in the arm .  This will cause the suspension to not function as designed a wear prematurely.    I hate to say it steveV8  but using copper slip was about the worst thing you could have used...   It may be a real pain but the best thing you could do is remove them all, clean with very strong detergent and refit using something more suitable  like WD40..    

We always use a regular dish soap, nothing else!  It does not deteriorate bushing material and washes off easily.