free hit
counters
V6 Cup or Cup 360 or newer v6? - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

V6 Cup or Cup 360 or newer v6?

Five50

Hi All

Wondered if there are any views on this - do the upgrades to the original V6 Cup over the standard V6S (two way Nitrons, some weight reduction etc, not sure what else aside from elec cut out) make the car stack up over later models if you want a 50/50 road and track car? Or do people generally end up upgrading / replacing the parts incl suspension anyway, in which case it may make more sense to start with a newer car even say a 350 or V6s? Are the later v6 Exiges any more / less reliable?

That something came out of 'motorsport' is not that big a deal for me. Also not that worried whether the car has the electric cut out. Would like something with better suspension than a standard V6S. Budget for this car doesn't stretch to a 380 or 410/430.

Anyone familiar with V666 Cup (2013), currently for sale, with KT410 kit?

Would welcome any thoughts.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The V6 Cups had an official 1,110kg weight and the 360 Cup and current 350 1,125.

As already mentioned a 350 is a better base for many reasons, more probably the most is they are good value to buy secondhand.

I think one of the best combos would be a 350 upgraded to a  Komotec 460 and if you can stretch some light weight components, Nitrons and a brake upgrade

Thanks guys.

Would you expect a V6 Cup to have motorsport gear linkage cables from the factory, or would you expect them to melt on track until upgraded?

The V6 Cup does have the Nitrons and two piece discs as standard so there is less upgrading required.

Is the 350 benefit mainly the cosmetics of the exposed linkage or where there other minor upgrades?

Assume that some of the weight saving on the 350 is the non glass engine cover and (I think) a lighter AC system?

I'd tend to agree, certainly to start with. I know plenty of very handy drivers make them perform very well on standard suspension with some tweaks to the geo. The geo tweaks are next on my list. I'd like to get to nitrons one day, but certainly don't feel the immediate need. I came from previous Lotuses all with Nitrons. While you can't beat a stiff car for the track, I'm enjoying the road manners with what seems like very little compromise on track. 👍

I purposely went for a V6 Cup. I did test drive a 350, and it just didn't excite like the Cups do. I driven 2 and now own one of them because the the rawness, and all the additional bits they have over standard car. I've added a 2bular tweaked the suspension to my liking. It also has a second set of forged alloys for extra lightness.

with no sound deadening, a louder exhaust and all the Cup bits, it really is very special. 

I've seen V666Cup for sale, and it looks ok. Mileage is good, and with the 410 kit it will breath better. They only made around 120 Cup cars, but you state you're not fussed by that. Perhaps an earlier V6 and then modify.

All depends on what kind of experience you want.

• Like 1

Thanks Schnitzel - I am interested in the objective aspects of the Cup cars - hence the question. Re Motorsport - I just meant that where it was made / finished is otherwise not a big focus for me, although I understand that it can be an attraction.

What are you using the car for? Weekend sunny drives on the road and maybe a track day now and again... or mainly track focused doing 8-12 days or more a year?

The Cups are good but I wouldn’t get too hung up about them vs a well upgraded V6S. The 350 has the better gear linkage and would be my preference should I be starting again... but equally don’t have any serious issues with them or 380s on track.

www.alias23.com

The V6 Cup and Cup 360’s were  quicker than the V6S and with the 360 even more so with a high flow air filter and Sports Exhaust. 3.6 secs to 60 mph

As mentioned though for the same initial purchase a 350 is likely to be the better mule Car for upgrading , not least because it is newer and also less likely to have had much track use and a much improved gear linkage amongst a number of improvements 

I guess in all these matters it will depend on what you pay for the car and whether you prefer the look of the older Cup cars.

I actually think the V6 look is altogether an  aesthetically better and more complete road look than 350’s,  410’s,  430’s and 380’s

V6 Cups came with baffled sumps , properly stripped interior and nitrons already set up. Plus Russ and team carefully set up the gearshift cables. I’d still be hunting one down as preferred V6 model.

still think the 380 cup’s best looking one of the range tho.

Black n gold

V6 Cups do have that little something special over the 350 cars there’s no doubt. They do seem to have a bit more fizz about them somehow  

Gearshifts work fine but may need the upgrade of an oil cooler to help them work on track. 

Also - some of the details are nicer on the original Cups - must be a motorsport thing. 

Have a look at lap time comparisons here 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

If I were in the market for one, I'd buy this - got the updated gear shift too:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/exige-s3/lotus-exige-3-5-vvt-i-s-2dr/8955311 

25 minutes ago, Gashead1105 said:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/exige-s3/lotus-exige-3-5-vvt-i-s-2dr/8955311 

I saw that one too - looks a nice car. You should chop in the 400 for it....

3 minutes ago, 550superfast said:

I saw that one too - looks a nice car. You should chop in the 400 for it....

No chance I'm afraid Gary, 400 is the daily driver at the mo and my last V6 was bad enough at setting off my tinnitus. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Gashead1105 said:

it is nice and I was told that actually there are only 49 of these, #50 wasn't built?

36 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Older (limited) Cup vs new, standard car though

Just the fact of being one of the many "very special limited edition" Lotuses does not really make it any special in my eyes, however I also do understand that other people may have different opinion

Its not the same as the usual special edition though, the cup 360s were still made by Motorsport (I think). Also, that's one of the semi-unicorn cup 360s with the revised gear linkage. Should still have a year left on the warranty too. Hold that for 2/3 years, track it like mad and you'll lose very little - do the same to a 60k Sport 350 and you'll lose 15-20k. Personal experience. I thought  hard about chopping in my (one off) V6 when it was c 18 months old for the Essex Blue 360 Cup that B&C had, which Mark ended up buying. Should have done it but the 20k cost to change was out of my reach. 

@Gashead1105 I do believe that it is not really an endless process for (in many cases fairly non special) cars to appreciate in price year after year after year - historically getting 10% pa return is a rather hard work and not just a matter of sitting with the "right" V5C or real estate. Hence I'd not bet on the value going up side of it. Even if so, would not that make the owner feel a bit uneasy about tracking it actively? Anyway, it is the right of people to do what they want with buying cars and I do understand there is likely to be someone with 60k sitting and waiting and sharing your point of view on this matter. :)