free hit
counters
Fuel pumps not working - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
WT2002CARS

Fuel pumps not working

Hi All,

On my way to a car show in my very shiny 1999 Esprit V8 and cruising along at 80 the engine instantly died. I stopped and started it up again and went on my way then 5 minutes later the same thing and this time will not start at all. Now flat bedded back to garage. It has done this all this summer just driving along and intermittently the engine cuts off. But today has stopped but will not start at all any more. Any Idea please ? and if fuel pumps where can i source them. Love my car Lucifer :) 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If it did it when hot, and then again when hot - which is what it sounds like - check your crank shaft sensor. They seem to have a tendency to do this kind of thing when they’re dying.

Even cold no hum from pumps and no start,  I checked fuses, fuel shut off button and the fuel pressure relief valve which there is no pressure.

Fuel pump or immobiliser in that case? The fuel pressure only needs to drop a fraction and it won’t run.

very difficult to diagnose when I’m not in Canada! 

Check if you’ve got power to anything, the fuel pumps are usually pretty reliable. That’s not to say it can’t fail of course! Otherwise the alarm/immobiliser systems fitted to the V8s are quite temperamental! 

Are you sure the earth straps and battery terminals are good. Lots of well documented issues very similar to this

Only here once

If it's intermittent - check your bellhousing earths (ECM ground).

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

We're on it for Wayne.

• Love 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Turns out my ECU was toast. Located a replacement high torque ECU from Mike Sekinger. Thanks 

• Like 1

Glad you found the cause, and glad Mike helped you out :thumbup:

A