free hit
counters
Take off - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I finished installing my front springs on my Esprit and now it looks like it wants to take off. The shocks are SPAX adjustable and I installed them at the lowest setting on 4 corners. The back of car is really low squatting down and the front is point up. Has anyone ever experienced this? Thanks for any input. from the pic you can see how high the front is.KANr3tI6k8pgsw81nTqsEiuTFjRLcEcw-uSDbfX7EvDnL8CJ0nBqY6LIc5rmGDfL3bw76-uf1i7tgHSF7auyJqjrbOicC0g-Mc8RPVUbegwBVyOZtMT4I0ZQRoxi_VWpAonS4vRHjNrDivz0GeWDSahsELFoIgXNZwPFLSotBORT3hpwE3GcZH5wV55OjAuRh1boXYxEu8e_HMyPMYyE2MyGaq-hEqGTq7BE8dTzDAWyjG0lTElrBwSJDiCcC8SZBembzzndMfUD0GGxPOd01BxtFLTHFI6fxX3h-MM5aTxUAdtibYUEKfVFpc7FD3OaaoX4OthnmhuRK0H9n5npXa2Qq2NX0TTJ2wNBc7k0hhZVEBc1wsZbz3F1p5uA8O1AxElMj5sxsCDyqf-cNLQOMJu76GUSP4wTcKPMgAmZEjrBgAngDtma2OdFxhdXQHyMHG_EX7CJ69hHisrJekQRBSqk9Vp5_7fac56l7pfIyDnx5xnvseQ6bLXFGCqZ_LFuDegz_pFtbEpxXcuJfXvs-gGiix7AMoemoHjKgW-PqlK8sviToHI11-8gYyG0St64OtUC_5L1MKAI-2w33pDG56_pbu0PNJ_8Y0uGY8I=w883-h662-no

ITLHpHflSUTIXat_ZwSTvvhAMAhxqGD5XbPmgntl17QT9V5JkLpVSylKmcteqazBKOnQIaUdi4e2g8dHVmlD09CD9pkElAp-RSckObz8BDtYdWb8hWukSsveFynhDvEXCHn6EFnKmYj-lwrQzHxkpL_u6lmk8KHE7lfEmdFVv-eIi_oph3rvYJfnq_bCYcpUvq-xWGoh81WixodjzNZQGcKpNkkwvIpKAmddNEXUyxurjpV4A1TZVjpHFY6UWFSHZbaqqx0tIhzFVVSyqrGE5HNgmIxwgJyF5J-iYy1aA8JoxwhHN-PsgqSBtECS8baFNKlxBRhLWcaQIDByNN5t1iOgmcOTKOwQ4iNir9HZjMrfcllWvypihyAZnVIU5jZQwyWQnWkS6wCcYaQg-nuKxVq_k_exC6UB_IYdMajSXviKmP-qauJBj7MZAmW_aN8TNYyVAqDg2lCdoqmuY6T8TYdE_e04JgRm8FFXDB9G3lLxyaGqtV_Y0_6NvQsLOo34FUVnRrsdqeEeaj3YM3rP1iLgQLDOzo4U02e1kJlP6faPCT_G6lOvxIAbjejJkIWzGXsQl4ISUHI8CCKjwMcuOzVIwDmJJ18qeIjJ0uo=w883-h662-no

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have you taken the car out for a drive yet as the back will naturally sit lower quickly due to the weight of the drivetrain where as the front will take a little while to settle down ? 

I would also adjust up the rears to make them higher as the lower the back end always seems to pull the front end up. Try this first after taking it out for a spin :thumbup:

Also i think some people mention tightening the suspension bolts while the car is on the deck/ground

Another possible reason may be incorrect frong spring height. 

A

5 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Looks like the front shocks are on the rear and visa versa, those rear wheels should be hanging much lower unsupported. 

is it even possible to mix them up ? 

A

• Gold FFM
7 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Looks like the front shocks are on the rear and visa versa, those rear wheels should be hanging much lower unsupported. 

The shocks are not interchangeable, but I do agree the rear should have a lot more down travel, so something is not right.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, silverfrost said:

is it even possible to mix them up

Not sure about the early Citroën boxed cars, but the later Renault boxed cars, when the units are disassembled, aftermarket shock mountings are identical front and rear, the only difference is the length of the shock absorber. 

And another sensible suggestion - measure the chassis heights front and rear before you do anything else. They’ll be in the Lotus Service Notes suspension sections. That will tell how far out you are, and you can work it out which way you need to go from there.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Steve, I stand corrected. I could have sworn the top mount was different at the rear, either my memory is going downhill or it's been too long since I had to work on the Esprit. 😉

Measuring before making any changes would be the best way forward! For an 88 the values are 170mm under the crossmember front and rear.

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.