free hit
counters
Evora market watch, for discussion and to help those searching! - Page 16 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Colin G

Evora market watch, for discussion and to help those searching!

5 minutes ago, Neal H said:

B&C appear to be having some problems differentiating between 'S' and NA!

Woops, NA too! I got a bit too excited too quickly there.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Oops, scratch that.

That's the second time in as many weeks that B&C have done that. Doh!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far! My main reason for going for IPS wasn't really preference for an auto, I've just read that the manual gearbox was the weak point of the car and there have also been some premature clutch failure problems. How much improved are these two areas on the Sports Racer? If I go for a manual this obviously opens up a bigger market, including the car below, what do people think of it? Seems more expensive than other Sports Racers which I've seen up for sale or would you say it's still reasonably priced?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/evora/lotus-evora-3-5--345bhp-sports-racer-s-2-2-supercharged/6014621?v=c

Thanks in advance,

Neil

I'm not sure where you read that. Most early cars have the revised linkage and clutch wear / failure rates are discussed at length on here and not a major cause for concern.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

33 minutes ago, NeilMick said:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far! My main reason for going for IPS wasn't really preference for an auto, I've just read that the manual gearbox was the weak point of the car and there have also been some premature clutch failure problems. How much improved are these two areas on the Sports Racer? If I go for a manual this obviously opens up a bigger market, including the car below, what do people think of it? Seems more expensive than other Sports Racers which I've seen up for sale or would you say it's still reasonably priced?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/evora/lotus-evora-3-5--345bhp-sports-racer-s-2-2-supercharged/6014621?v=c

Thanks in advance,

Neil

Clutch life will depend on how it has been driven but the overwhelming majority are fine. The 2014 Sports Racer I drove had a beautiful shift and lighter clutch compared with my 2010. You just have to try one and see how you get on with it.

The car in the ad was registered 1st July 2014 so should still have nearly a years manufacturers warranty which may be while it's priced a little higher. Although nearly 20k miles is higher than most do in 2 years...

Where did you hear about the (so called) premature clutch failure problems?

These things usually get reported because someone knows of someone who knows someone else who has read it on the internet.

There have been a few but it needs to be taken in context. Many car marques suffer from certain "problems" but it does tend to be only the faulty ones, which are usually in the minority, which people get to hear about due to human nature. We only complain when something is wrong, we never give credit when things are right <_<

There is some transmission noise on the manual which isn't present on the IPS but after a while you don't notice it. Have a read through this thread, it may help to put things into perspective for you:thumbup:.

Whatever you decide you will certainly enjoy the experience of searching for and afterwards driving the right car :happy dance:

• Like 1

Do B and C think we are mugs?  £45k for LHD and not even an S?  Try taking £5k off for each point. 

Their ugly satin Black one has been £55k for a while too. 

They are my closest dealer but I wont be using them when I buy. 

Edited by Evo400

3 hours ago, NeilMick said:

Thanks in advance,

Neil

I was looking for the IPS model until I read about the slow shift speeds which would have been a big step back from my Lexus isf at the time and for me would have taken a lot of fun out of the car. It is a weekend car for me and manual changes are a lot more enjoyable. Drive both and see what you think. 

@NeilMick not being funny - but have you driven any of the derivatives of the Evora yet?

I came to the Evora without doing loads of research save multiple reads of every review written :P - but was massively oblivious to what packs, MY or "gear linkage" I should be looking for.  I'd always wanted a lotus and I did the man maths and squared the circle and decided that I could pull off an Evora as a daily drive.  

I test drove an IPS SR and a manual MY11.  Both really impressed me, but I felt that I personally wanted a manual.  I compromised as soon as I test drove the car that I was eventually to buy without hesitation, a thought of what packs it had, or any consideration of potential resale values.  

I'm no cognoscenti, as you can probably tell - my heart frequently over-rules my grey matter - but I really struggled to find fault with either the IPS and the gear change on my manual.

If I was to repeat the process, I really wouldn't change a thing.  Pick a couple of cars that you like the look of, test drive them, and then make your choice :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NeilMick said:

Thanks in advance,

Neil

Hi Neil,

My '64 plate Evora S Sports Racer (manual) is still For Sale at around that price...... My advert expired and I should really get another one posted up.

Anyway - yellow on black, all usual Sports Racer specification + barge boards + complete 2ubular exhaust system + Komotec 430EV upgrade. Only 6K miles too!! Remainder of 3 year warranty on the car as well.

Cherished and loved since new by myself - bought and looked after by MMC (Edinburgh) and also Craig Moncrief.

Wish yours was for sale when I was looking. Really want to ev430 kit. Gives the Evora supercar performance. 

Hi all, my Evora itch has been growing recently and 18 months after selling my Exige and being Lotusless for the first time in over a decade it is really starting to hurt.

An Evora S should be just the tonic. Does anybody know anything about this one? Stratton have a dcent reputation and they've made some nice improvements to this car to freshen it up.

http://www.lotusforsale.com/ads/lotus-evora-s-2/

That is a lovely looking car and ex of a member on here, possibly @Kalli@Kalli but I may be wrong.

From the owners posts I would say it was cherished iirc.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

No that is not Kalli's old car. I believe @JayEmm has driven it.

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

Ta, yes lovely looking example. I'm not usually a fan of red but the canyon red is a nice subtle colour.

Yes the fact it's been there a little while is one thing that intrigued me. Mileage not the lowest but not high either, decent price, nice spec, respected dealer, useful tweaks to improve it (refurb wheels, paint the badges and light surrounds etc) so why has it stuck?

The laser blue one in Morpeth for similar money has been around even longer.

I've called and emailed Stratton and left a message so hopefully will hear back from them at some point soon.

11 minutes ago, Benmac said:

The laser blue one in Morpeth for similar money has been around even longer.

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

44 minutes ago, internets said:

No that is not Kalli's old car. I believe @JayEmm has driven it.

@Tropica also drive the car recently when he was looking for an S. Although strangely, the Stratton sales manager didn't want to take him out in it because it was raining at the time. Even though Tropica had travelled from the other side of the country to view the car! No wonder it still hasn't sold.

This 2011 S has also recently appeared for sale: 

I looked at the red one in Strattons, and eventually managed to get a very short test drive in it, I think because the rain had stopped! It drove very well but then I had to dive it very carefully (slowly) and probably only 2 miles or so, therefore I would not regard this as a proper trial of the vehicle. It was immaculate, low mileage but having tried others we prefer the all leather interior.

For us the car was not the colour we expected it to be, but it was principally the general attitude at Strattons that prevented us from buying there.

Just as an aside for other people looking to buy, during my information gathering period it seemed very important to get an MY12 car, however we did buy a pre MY12 and to be quite honest I think the interior is of a very high standard and I havn't regretted my decision for a moment - what you don't know you don't miss!

We bought ours fro Guy Munday at Cranley Sportscars and his service was exemplary, so I would strongly recommend buying from him as he is very knowledgeable and genuine.

Have now had the roof, sills and splitter done and it's looking fab (I think)

There is a problem though............ It draws so much attention you simply cannot let it get dirty, I have washed, dried and polished this car more than any car I have ever owned!!!:lol:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wonderful car @Tropica - what blue is that?  Also, like you, I have a pre-MY12 car and the interior quality is great.

I don't particularly wish to speak ill of SMC but the reason the car hasn't sold is not the car at all. The car's fine.

I did notice last week when I stopped in there that they have changed their Lotus salesperson.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

What is it with car dealers and some car sales people - some of them are model examples of sales prevention.

4 hours ago, JayEmm said:

I did notice last week when I stopped in there that they have changed their Lotus salesperson.

Does that mean no more thread necromancy?

19 hours ago, C8RKH said:

What is it with car dealers and some car sales people - some of them are model examples of sales prevention.

Weird isn't it. Had it a few times myself, most notably in this context from Christopher Neils. Twice tried to buy a car from them and they just weren't interested at all. First occasion I was buying a new 111s; they didn't want my trade in so wouldn't do a deal. It was a 1 year old Ibiza Cupra. Not something they'd sell but hardly a difficult car to move on. I went to Ribble Valley the same afternoon and bought there. Second time I was fancying an Exige S. My trade in this time was an Elise S2 Sport 190. They didn't want that either and offered a comedy low trade in. I went elsewhere and they then called up a short while later wanting the 190 as someone had come i looking for them to source one.

I emailed Stratton on Thursday morning, not heard anything back.  I called them lunchtime yesterday and left a message as the requisite sales person was out / busy. Not heard anything.

And in another good example I just spotted this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Evora-3-5-VVT-i-S-2-2-Supercharged-345bhp-46-900-Miles-/252498928377?hash=item3aca1be2f9:g:MfQAAOSw-itXrxs4

I was in Oakmere / Chris Neil's last Saturday and asked them to let me know if they got any muted colours Evora S's in between £30 and £40k. Surprise surprise I've not heard a peep.

Edited by Benmac
New info