free hit
counters
Fix for paint adhesion issue? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Fix for paint adhesion issue?

I feel like the answer here is probably “no,” but thought I’d see if I was missing something.

Is there anyway to correct this paint adhesion issue without a full respray?  It looks like the paint is just gone in spots here, but the rest of the car looks great. I’d hare to repaint the whole thing just to deal with this. Figured someone might have a genius idea? 

E0582287-5FC5-4FC1-9F3F-204CF363584A.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You can just prepare and repaint the tailgate lower section , blending into the transom with fade out on the lacquer coat at the side where it curves and up the tailgate sides.     If done by a professional you should get a close enough match that with the blend you will not be able to see any shading difference...  Also if the fade out is done with quality product on the curved sections it will minimise the chance of seeing it as time and polishing hardens the edge..   The cost should also be quite reasonable  

hope that helps.

D

• Like 1

In the UK we have people like Chipsaway who come to you to make invisible repairs to scratches & minor dents etc, I'm sure you'll have an equivalent in the US. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Unless I'm mistaken, that's metallic silver. If that is the case then it's probably a colour (or color for those in the USA) and a clear coat (lacquer) , so for the colour coat to have ceased to adhere, the top coat would have had to have gone. The clear on one of my Excels has failed (I've had it on others in the past), it starts in a small area but even if treated it fails across the panel as it's a symptom not a cause. The sunlight will probably have degraded the structure of much of the same panel which is orientated the same (so the vertical surfaces may be OK).

Are you sure it's un-adhering, and not abraded by polish?

5 hours ago, andydclements said:

Are you sure it's un-adhering, and not abraded by polish?

I'm not sure to be honest.  The damage predated my ownership.  There is some more of the same at the top of the panel too (see below), but none on the rest of the car.  Maybe caused by being driven 120k miles in the bright California sun? I think the paint is original, and I was hoping to keep it that way. Part of me just wants to polish and wax over it and forget about it. But if the clear coat is really gone on that panel, I'm guessing it's only going to get worse.  

1985_lotus_esprit_15285056464efc53a4IMG_2645.thumb.jpg.da53de2c4dbb52b46b9b5898a8b2fa8b.jpg  

Get some really fine abrasive (wet & dry) paper (2400), gently rub the area and look to the paper to ascertain whether you now have clear coat powder (white) or paint powder (silver). 

I suspect it's the lacquer coming off but still there , if however it's not present then the white effect would be oxidation of the colour layer.

I am not a painter/bodyman but would offer a thought based on observations made over long years of ownership. I wonder if that paint loss is due to wear as it sure doesn't look like the adhesion fails seen in so many cases. The 2nd picture is of the roof to rear hatch transition area, as I make it out, and the paint fail is concentrated roughly in the center region, as it is with the lower section shown in picture 1. With 120k miles much of which was probably at highway speeds I'd suggest it could be straight up wear from airborne abrasive particles, unintended sandblasting if you like. Places like the UK are regularly doused with rainfall keeping the roadways relatively clean. California and many other areas in North America routinely go through prolonged droughts leaving the roads eventually quite dusty. Otherwise I 'd suggest wear from something like a car cover used consistently but without care as to contact conditions with the paint surface. Either way it looks like wear to me. 

• Gold FFM

I would agree with drdoom. I am in Dubai and there are hundreds of cars with the same issue caused by dust in the atmosphere. 

Thanks for the responses everybody. I'll try the extra fine sandpaper on a small piece just to be sure and report back.  Maybe I could just cover the whole rear hatch in faux carbon fiber film and call it a day .... kidding ... 

Best bet would be to go to a local paint store,   If you give them your paint code they will mix you up an aerosol can of cellulose,   Get one can for the colour and a can of clear, 

Sand the rear tailgate down mask off and paint,  just do the large area at the bottom as you can blend in at the corner points that are the thin bits running uo the side of the black lourves. :)

A

Looking at your picture, not even sure the base coat is attacked.

I would try abrading lightly (very lightly because where you are on the base coat the sanding might show) a small section and apply a coat of clear coat. You have nothing to lose because you'll need to sand and repaint if I'm wrong.

• Like 1

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!