free hit
counters
Dismantling the purge pump - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Dismantling the purge pump

I tried to open the purge pump to replace the motor, but i only managed to open the top cover.

The bottom cover seemed to be glued shut.

I am not sure if it was originally glued shut or someone did a repair and gkues it shut

Anyone has any idea?

I have tries prying the bottom with knives, pen knives, scrappers etc but it just wouldn't budge.

I only ended up scrapping off the plastic..

20180813_183251-1.jpg

20180813_183238-1.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found an identical motor.. Cost me £2.85... Not bad value.. So it seems i am gonna have a working purge pump after all.. Thanks for the advise guys  

Posted Images

Lots of discussions on the Excel forum because it's on later cars and Excels never went Fuel Injection route whilst Esprits went Turbo and FI. It's a fairly common motor size, here in the UK there was a standard motor available from Maplin (no use finding that ref now as they no longer have a website with details on it).

These are glued / sealed shut, because they were not designed to have components in them replaced, the idea was to throw away the whole unit. You will have to do some cutting and prising.

edit: I'll be brave a link to the topic as it's a technical article. Hope it's OK mods.

http://www.lotusexcel.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4853&hilit=purge

Edited by andydclements
add link
1 hour ago, Bazza 907 said:

I took my old one to a model makers shop and they had a very similar one that was used to power a model aeroplane. Might be worth a try?

Are you referring to replacing the motor inside? Or the entire pump?

52 minutes ago, andydclements said:

Lots of discussions on the Excel forum because it's on later cars and Excels never went Fuel Injection route whilst Esprits went Turbo and FI. It's a fairly common motor size, here in the UK there was a standard motor available from Maplin (no use finding that ref now as they no longer have a website with details on it).

These are glued / sealed shut, because they were not designed to have components in them replaced, the idea was to throw away the whole unit. You will have to do some cutting and prising.

edit: I'll be brave a link to the topic as it's a technical article. Hope it's OK mods.

http://www.lotusexcel.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4853&hilit=purge

So it seems i am right that they are glued shut. I will either need to do some cutting or replace with an alternative then.

I wonder if those 12v vacuum pumps from ebay might work. My only concern is most of them have exposed terminals...

So I finally managed to open the bottom of the purge pump.

I had to use a hacksaw to saw away the plastic.

I believe it should be easy to find a replacement motor to fix the pump.

20180814_230447.jpg

20180814_230544.jpg

6 months ago I would have said maplin but that's not a lot of use to you now so ebay or amazon I guess.  

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 03:31, Neil Potter said:

Nice work. Can you share where you found the motor? Mine has been sounding unhealthy for a while now.

I found them in a regular electronics component shop.

Unfortunately, I am halfway across the globe from you. I do have a few spares, so if you are willing to pay postage I can send them to you. Btw, I am in Singapore. 

Do the timer relay add on  if you can otherwise the pump  will run and run and run until the coolant cools down enough.    And eventually burn itself out like your  original one has.   

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 16:31, Neil Potter said:

Thanks for the kind offer, will try here first though.  I was in Singapore in April - I hope your air con works!  Can't be many Esprits there.

Yes, luckily my aircon works well ....

21 hours ago, mdw said:

Do the timer relay add on  if you can otherwise the pump  will run and run and run until the coolant cools down enough.    And eventually burn itself out like your  original one has.   

I have read about that somewhere ... need to find it again

thanks for the reminder